weekly Bebop's 52 for 2020 - week 52: Decor(ate)

Nice Rocks Bebop, the green of the seaweed makes the images. 2nd one maybe could do with a bit more contrast to counteract the harse light.

Pete

Interesting and definitely very old.
Thanks Phil.
Good idea... I know what you mean about the light (summer downside) and can see why it wouldn't work in B&W. The colour of the seaweed really stands and highlights the subject.
Thanks Helen. Yes if I'd had the thought earlier I might have been able to time it better, although the tides can make it impossible. It was a rushed visit whilst my bread was proving .. a good distraction as it just wasn't rising whilst I was watching :LOL: Flash might have improved it I guess, or a reflector.

Nice Rocks Bebop, the green of the seaweed makes the images. 2nd one maybe could do with a bit more contrast to counteract the harse light.

Pete
Thanks Pete. It's a cast of a dinosaurs footprint :) Wouldn't more contrast make the shadows darker and the highlights lighter? Did you maybe mean less? I did try bracketing with the thought to blend them later, but in the end I just went with raising the shadows a bit. I might have another play with the processing now I've met the deadline (y)

I just tried blending my bracket shots and couldn't really get much out of it - probably needed to take more shots and not just 2.

I tried upping the contrast @seaodyssey and I think you are correct, it does give it a bit more punch. I had been too wary of losing detail in the shadows.

20200520-BCO30011-2.jpg

If I'm doing exposure bracketing (with HDR in mind) I do a minimum of 3 shots, bit not always -1:0:+1, depending on the scene it might be -2:-1:0 or 0:+1:-2.
(or indeed larger increments).
That said, you seem to have kept detail there :)

OK OK Bee, you win in the "Old" stakes :D

Lovely view (#1) and a great subject (y)

Last edited:
If I'm doing exposure bracketing (with HDR in mind) I do a minimum of 3 shots, bit not always -1:0:+1, depending on the scene it might be -2:-1:0 or 0:+1:-2.
(or indeed larger increments).
That said, you seem to have kept detail there :)

Yes I’m not sure why I did 2, other than I was hurrying as I was halfway through cooking the evening meal and the tide was coming in [emoji23].

I think I also needed to do a larger variation, but maybe it just needed a different time of day really. I underexposed and also bracketed as the highlights were just horrible.

Week 21. Liquid

I've been playing with off camera flash, so this was an obvious subject - Ribena! Not nearly as good as Gavin Hoey's on YouTube, but lack of suitable modifiers was a challenge... excuses, excuses :D

20200522-BCR_7376-2.jpg

Well we both did rocks and now low key glasses with liquid - great minds.....

I might have been tempted to add more of the reflection. Pity it wasn't rosé rather than Ribena to celebrate a successful flash session :)

Old - Something a little different certainly fits the theme, I like the low PoV.

Liquid - I like it I like the fairly low key lighting and a nice touch of colour too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Old: A lovely landscape and spot on for theme.
Liquid: I really like this. Great lighting and hint of deep red.

Liquid looks great, I think the lighting is lovely :)

Very nicely done on liquid Bee

Well we both did rocks and now low key glasses with liquid - great minds.....

I might have been tempted to add more of the reflection. Pity it wasn't rosé rather than Ribena to celebrate a successful flash session :)
I promise I'm not copying your ideas... but just let me know what you're going to do next :LOL: Yes, I agree it does need more reflections in it. I'm planning on photographing more glass today - perhaps I should have waited until I'd practised some more, but it is nice to get a theme under your belt.

Old - Something a little different certainly fits the theme, I like the low PoV.

Liquid - I like it I like the fairly low key lighting and a nice touch of colour too.
Thanks Mark - I did hope no-one else was going to have dinosaur footprints :)

Old: A lovely landscape and spot on for theme.
Liquid: I really like this. Great lighting and hint of deep red.
Thanks Pete

Great shot for Liquid. I like the low key look and the perfect reflection of the base & stem.
Thanks Lee

I like that. Refined and understated (y)
Thanks Tim. I would say like me, but sadly not! :ROFLMAO:

Liquid looks great, I think the lighting is lovely :)
Thank you - my first attempt at something like this.

Very nicely done on liquid Bee
Cheers @Cobra (y)

Old: Nicely taken.

Liquid. Stunning!
Thanks David :)

I like this.. the lighting is subtle and suits the subject. Well done.

I like your dinosaur foot - works for me, and the light doesn't look too harsh at all.

Your ribena is a great shot - well done on the OCF!

Spot on lighting for your great liquid shot Bebop.
Thanks Dave. Great news about your Mum!
I like your dinosaur foot - works for me, and the light doesn't look too harsh at all.

Your ribena is a great shot - well done on the OCF!
Thanks @Shugpug - I must have got away with raising the shadows and dipping the highlights ;)

Great colours in there - I like the play of tones and shadows. I'd have guessed colander too, but only because I knew it was a household item. Otherwise, I'd have very happily believed it was a projector light of some kind...

Great colours in there - I like the play of tones and shadows. I'd have guessed colander too, but only because I knew it was a household item. Otherwise, I'd have very happily believed it was a projector light of some kind...
Thanks - her light is a lot of fun. I might have to get one :)
Nice colours and a great abstract, an unusual household item.
Thanks Allan
Liquid is very subtle, it does look like a red wine too.
Household, nice colours,, and a nice abstract feel to it.
Thanks Clive. I did struggle a bit on composition for the household item, but I think it works as an abstract.

A really nice colourful abstract Bee :)

Good abstract shot - works well.

A disco-ball colander! I really like the colours and the abstract nature of this, looks great.

Back