weekly Bebop's 52 for 2020 - week 52: Decor(ate)

Nicely done shot!

A very nice bit of panning there
I love the bright reds against the dark trees.

I like both of the discarded shots, my pick would be the second, the ice driving is a nice shot with good panning. :)

I actually like your submission for discarded with the original slightly too cold white balance. Makes it feel more desolate...

Brilliant shot for snapper's choice, well panned while maintaining great sharpness (y)

I actually like your submission for discarded with the original slightly too cold white balance. Makes it feel more desolate...

Brilliant shot for snapper's choice, well panned while maintaining great sharpness (y)
Thanks Berndt. When I walked the next day, I thought 'but the snow really does look quite blue'. I've definitely over-warmed it on the second attempt, but it may be my laptop.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to comment. My first attempts failed thanks to leaving the excellent Olympus IS turned on in all directions :banghead::banghead::banghead: This was the more exciting day when people came from all over to try ice driving and sadly I had a lot of failed attempts. Once I'd sorted the image stabilisation out, I tried again later in the week and my success rate went right up.

A really great shot like the contrast of colours and the panning as others have mentioned.

Week 6. Wild

In the interests of posting something on time, in fact not even near the deadline yet... I'm going with a quick snap from today of a wild sea (predictable I know!) I ran it through Analog efex for a grainy film effect.

20200209-BC099338-Edit.jpg

Sadly, we also found a 'wild' dolphin on the beach :(

Edit: Previously included photo of dolphin now removed.

Last edited:
Wow.. that's some sea. Makes the east coast look like a mere ripple. The grainy effect adds to the drama.

Great shot of a very wild sea, shame for the Dolphin :(

The processing on the breaking waves make it look like a very old dramatic picture.
I like it (y)

And what a shame about the Dolphin :(
Any idea what happened? did it get beached in the strong waves perhaps?

Excellent wave shot, processing adds to the effect.

Thanks for dropping in @Dave70D @Shugpug @CliveH @HelenC @rick448 @Cobra @Baloo - hope you don't mind me replying in bulk.

I decided to remove the dolphin photo because it was going to upset me every time I saw it and maybe others too. I don't know what had happened, but it appeared bloodied around it's neck, head and mouth. It's unusual to see them washed up and there were two along the coast today. I'm guessing it must be the storm, but maybe they were already weak?

Thanks for the kind comments re the processing. It was all a bit pale, hazy and muddy brown beforehand. I wasn't sure if it was a tad too gritty, but it I enjoyed playing in Nik Efex

Yep - nice moody wavey sea :)

That's a proper wild shot! I like the grainy film treatment, very effective.

I like the stormy waves. It maybe a little bright across the middle of the photo (but I am looking on my phone, so it might well look different/better on a monitor).

Great image very wild
Thanks @minx
I like the stormy waves. It maybe a little bright across the middle of the photo (but I am looking on my phone, so it might well look different/better on a monitor).
It is a little bright across the middle. I did notice that after posting, but it's quite high contrast and was pretty much white water there.
I too like the gritty effect to the photo, it emphasises the power somehow.
Thanks @LC2 - I thought it improved it's impact.

Week 7. Broken

The first idea was a broken biscuit, but I managed to find a chipped clear vase. I experimented with backgrounds and decided I quite liked a hint of blue showing through - it's a ski bag :)

20200220-BCR_7143.jpg

Just playing with it, I think I prefer this crop - will leave original as I've already posted it in main thread...

20200220-BCR_7143-2.jpg

Or maybe this one is better... not quite as sharp but better colours...

20200220-BCR_7127.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Bebop

Wk7
Picture is nice and sharp.
Contrast is good, the Colour really adds to the Image.
I Like the composition
Crop works well.
Nice one

Pete

Hi Bebop

Wk7
Picture is nice and sharp.
Contrast is good, the Colour really adds to the Image.
I Like the composition
Crop works well.
Nice one

Pete
Thanks Pete. I've just had a play and think I prefer my second attempt (same pic, different crop) - I'll add it to that post above and won't change it now. I'll probably prefer another crop in another 5 minutes :LOL:

I had to read your post to work out what it was... makes a great abstract image. I prefer the first shot you posted on that basis.

Wild - Nice timing I quite like the grainyness of the sky.

Broken - nice close up good detail I like.

Playing catch up here, so many posts to look at.

The red in the snow makes a nice contrast to the whole image, and I know what you mean about white balance with snow, its a difficult scene to get right, even with the modern cameras that we have today.
That wild shot does look like an extremely violent sea and the touch you gave it adds nicely to the composition.
The broken shot version 2 for me, the angle is spot on and the very light blue tone in the lower left gives it that little bit extra edge.

Nicely captured, very sharp :)

Back