weekly Bebop's 52 for 2020 - week 52: Decor(ate)

Really like the processing of this shot - the B&W works exceptionally well. But I agree with the rotation of the pliers - you've set the line up nicely on the rule of thirds, then rotated the pliers around the line. Definitely triggering my OCD!

Edited in to English... Apologies for commenting just before bed!

Last edited:
Your mat sounds like it's a similar colour to my modeling mat, so I agree, going B&W is probably the best option :)
I like that you've deliberately used diagonals throughout and not been tempted to straighten it. It makes sure that everyone knows it's deliberate.

Funnily enough @LC2 I didn't want it to be symmetrical and I did want to use the diagonals, so you are correct. I tried a few different positions, but I do feel I'm a bit too 'nearly' symmetrical.

Red pliers on the green mat might have worked well.

I like that its not symmetrical, and agree that with the colours you describe the mono conversion was a good choice.

Week 3. Tool

I probably shouldn't have chosen this background because of the potential offending lack of symmetry, but here it is... or they are... my pliers/wire cutters.... we never have a plier do we?

I've chosen B & W as the handles are aqua green and the mat emerald green.... which doesn't sit well with me :LOL:

View attachment 266044

Hi Bebop,
I think you were right in making this a B&W photo especially now you have told us about the conflicting greens.
I agree with Dave70D I would have cropped the bottom slightly as my OCD doesn’t like the bottom line visible. Nice take on a pair of pliers [emoji6][emoji106]

Great image Bebop!:clap:
Quite a few 'plier' shots this week...(myself included:giggle:)...yours is excellent!
As others have said, you've made the right choice in converting to b&w, the clashes of colour might have been distracting.
Great composition...I don't have OCD, so the off-centre position is fine by me!:giggle:

Nicely shot, the angle is a little distracting, but I like it overall :)

Awesome King o'the Jungle pic!

Nice mono for tool too.

Hi Bebop

Good choice on the B&W conversion, only thing I find off is the depth of field, I think if you had more angle on the piers it would have improve the handles, just my opinion. The lines right on the bottom edge should be cropped out as well.

Pete

Thanks Pete. I thought about cropping them out, but I thought it might then look like the whole thing was out of kilter.

I took some with a plan view with the whole thing in focus, but I preferred the fading out of focus look. I wish I had tweaked the angle though :LOL:

I like the dof, it's just about the right amount. I think your right going black & white.

My first idea was a pair of pliers. Well, my only idea at the mo. Yours is spot on. Off-centre works well as does b/w treatment.

B&W really suits this image I can see what your're saying about the BG but it really doesn't bother me too much.

local interest - great seascape, but the upper 2/3s of the image could do with a bit more contrast in my opinion

pleasure - Great photo, bang on theme. The lion looks content and cuddly :)

tool - nice almost abstract photo, I like the grid thingy under the tool. B&W conversion works very well

I don't find the background a problem at all. Good choice with b&w - I did the same as my tool handle was bright red!

Looks good in B/W and I think the background works. Had it been me, I would probably have the pliers at an angle to the camera.

Looks good in B/W and I think the background works. Had it been me, I would probably have the pliers at an angle to the camera.
yes I don't like my angle either :) Previously I struggled to post things on time in my 2017 52, so this time I'm probably rushing too much.
local interest - great seascape, but the upper 2/3s of the image could do with a bit more contrast in my opinion

pleasure - Great photo, bang on theme. The lion looks content and cuddly :)

tool - nice almost abstract photo, I like the grid thingy under the tool. B&W conversion works very well
Thanks for commenting. Yes it was rubbish light, but I can see it is a little hazy in the seascape at the top.
I don't find the background a problem at all. Good choice with b&w - I did the same as my tool handle was bright red!
Thanks Helen. Perhaps bright red would work on bright green. Aqua green was definitely a bit off :) I do like the vintage look everyone is giving to their tools though.

My first idea was a pair of pliers. Well, my only idea at the mo. Yours is spot on. Off-centre works well as does b/w treatment.
That made me chuckle - thanks :D

B&W really suits this

image I can see what your're saying about the BG but it really doesn't bother me too much.
Thank you. Sometimes I like to force myself not to be too OCD :LOL:

I like the dof, it's just about the right amount. I think your right going black & white.
Thank you.

Welcome back and my first visit this year. It's a nice shot and fit the theme well.
Thanks. At the moment I'm randomly visiting threads when I can - it seems much more active than in 2017 - or have I got a short memory?

The trouble with running behind is that everything has already been covered! My thoughts are that monochrome is the right choice in view of what you've said about the colours, the DOF works well and I really like the diagonal lines in the mat and the position of the pliers - no OCD here so it works just fine for me :)

The trouble with running behind is that everything has already been covered! My thoughts are that monochrome is the right choice in view of what you've said about the colours, the DOF works well and I really like the diagonal lines in the mat and the position of the pliers - no OCD here so it works just fine for me :)
Thanks Andrea. I know what you mean. I looked at one thread and nearly said, yes exactly what @Manxmaid said :LOL:

Week 4 Discarded

A couple from a walk today. I spotted the cup yesterday and completely forgot about the 52, so I headed back today. Exposure is a bit tricky. I feel it is a tad dark, but if I lighten it you lose the detail in the snow.

Secondly I found a pit of cigarette ends. There was a CCTV trained on me - I'm sure they wondered what on earth I was doing!

20200127-BC278633.jpg
20200127-BC278698.jpg

nice images all round, the 2 for discarded are good close ups. I do wonder if the WB is right in the snow shot, it looks a bit blue, would the definition problem be solved by adjusting WB?

nice images all round, the 2 for discarded are good close ups. I do wonder if the WB is right in the snow shot, it looks a bit blue, would the definition problem be solved by adjusting WB?

I did tweak it as I thought it looked a bit pink before. I might have another play. It’s definitely needing something.

Thanks Andrea. I know what you mean. I looked at one thread and nearly said, yes exactly what @Manxmaid said :LOL:

Really? :LOL: It's not too surprising though - sometimes there are only so many things you can say about an image :)

Week 4 Discarded

A couple from a walk today. I spotted the cup yesterday and completely forgot about the 52, so I headed back today. Exposure is a bit tricky. I feel it is a tad dark, but if I lighten it you lose the detail in the snow.

Secondly I found a pit of cigarette ends. There was a CCTV trained on me - I'm sure they wondered what on earth I was doing!

Well spotted, and two good images for the theme. I agree with Jim that the snow is ever so slightly blue in the first one - although that could be my screen - but it's a really tricky one to expose with all that white . I like the mysterious splashes of red on the cup too; presumably the colour has run but it wouldn't look out of place on the cover of a murder novel! The cigarettes are a good choice and although I'm not keen on the patch of white stuff on the right, I'm guessing it's also been discarded. Lots of good close-up detail in that nearer cigarette end and the surface underneath it (y)

Thanks @Manxmaid. I thought it looked like blood too :) I can see what you mean about the tissue, but I wasn't about to move it... eww!

I suspect my own 'travel' laptop for the colour issues. I meant to calibrate my screen before I came away and it may well be off.
Here is the same image with the white balance as shot on auto. It looks a bit pink on my screen. Does this look better?

20200127-BC278633-2.jpg

I too thought blood, :D
The second one is much better exposure wise.

But flipping 'eck where are you to get snow?
(Oh and you are welcome to keep it too! )

Snow (like white paint and sheets!!!) can be a real sod to expose correctly, can't it !!

What I would have done is add 2 layers.
The first being a hue/saturation adjustment, and de-saturate until the whites looked right (use a mask on the reds if you want to).
The second would have been a levels adjustment layer, where I would have boosted the whites.
(A bit like fixing teeth in portraits ;) )

You have "Edit My Images No" so I won't post my attempt.

Two excellent images there Bebop!(y)
Your tweaked image of the 'bloody' cup is really excellent...it has a real sense of danger about it!
Would it be bad form to say "It's been well executed!"?:LOL:
#2 is excellent too, love the close up details in the discarded ciggie - the white snot-rag isn't great, but I can certainly understand you not wanting to touch that horrid thing!!
Very nice work Bebop!

I thought the same as the others.. very sinister. Both well captured and most definitely on theme - hard to pick one.

2 great images nice and close to fill the frame with both glad I'm not the only one who thought it was blood on the cup!

I like that the pattern of the discoloration on the cup compliments the snow crystals.

Just back from a week away, so apologies for the delay...

I like both for the theme Bebop, very nicely taken and my pick is the disgusting ciggie butt.
Thanks Dave. It is horrible isn't it :LOL:

I too thought blood, :D
The second one is much better exposure wise.

But flipping 'eck where are you to get snow?
(Oh and you are welcome to keep it too! )
Snowy Italy :) I was glad I got these pics in when I did as it was followed by two days of heavy snowfall and no photography.

Snow (like white paint and sheets!!!) can be a real sod to expose correctly, can't it !!

What I would have done is add 2 layers.
The first being a hue/saturation adjustment, and de-saturate until the whites looked right (use a mask on the reds if you want to).
The second would have been a levels adjustment layer, where I would have boosted the whites.
(A bit like fixing teeth in portraits ;) )

You have "Edit My Images No" so I won't post my attempt.
Yes I probably should have spent more time editing. I'd probably try it all in Lightroom, but I'm not averse to dipping into Photoshop.
I'm just feeling smug about staying up to date so far :giggle: It may not last!!

Two excellent images there Bebop!(y)
Your tweaked image of the 'bloody' cup is really excellent...it has a real sense of danger about it!
Would it be bad form to say "It's been well executed!"?:LOL:
#2 is excellent too, love the close up details in the discarded ciggie - the white snot-rag isn't great, but I can certainly understand you not wanting to touch that horrid thing!!
Very nice work Bebop!
:LOL: Thanks Gareth. Snow the following day buried the cup again, so the murder mystery will no doubt surface another day!!

It looks like a murder scene photograph! Fantastic.
:LOL: Thanks. I am curious as to what the pattern on the cup was before, but it certainly does looks bloody.

I thought the same as the others.. very sinister. Both well captured and most definitely on theme - hard to pick one.
Thanks Helen. I'll try and not be sinister this week... otherwise I might start worrying about myself :ROFLMAO:

2 Good pictures, as others have said the first has something slightly disturbing about it. I like the focus on the front end of the fag ends.
Thanks Clive. They must have thought I was mad on the CCTV as I had to crouch really low to get the fag ends.

Great "bloody cup" image! Slightly disturbing, but in a good way!
Thanks @Shugpug :) Yes it did look a tad gruesome :puke:

2 great images nice and close to fill the frame with both glad I'm not the only one who thought it was blood on the cup!
Thanks Mark. :) I bought a new lens for the holiday so I was testing to see how close I could get with the fag ends. It was impressive!

I like that the pattern of the discoloration on the cup compliments the snow crystals.

Back