Because we all love a self portrait

I like it a lot, a real connection and tells me a bit about you. I would start by lightening the eyes, not so much as to spoil the mood but a tiny shadow lift.

I like it a lot, a real connection and tells me a bit about you. I would start by lightening the eyes, not so much as to spoil the mood but a tiny shadow lift.
You know what I tried lightening them. But I couldn't get them to pop or look any better, they looked washed out so I left it. But I agree wholeheartedly with your comment

If I were to suggest something else too....

the bare tops of the arms reveal some tattoos but not quite enough for a sneaky peak/hint. Perhaps a slighter wider fov to include a couple of inches of ‘sleeve’.

This is aesthetically fine, we often find it can alter appearance @ lenses prescriptions. Many enlarge eyes, some adhere haze & maybe change sharpness. Spectacles I think are just fab in photographs, we often use as props.

If I were to suggest something else too....

the bare tops of the arms reveal some tattoos but not quite enough for a sneaky peak/hint. Perhaps a slighter wider fov to include a couple of inches of ‘sleeve’.
I deliberately left just that little bit left in. Which as a result left me wanting to see more. Which was exactly what I wanted it to do. Just enough to intreague.

I deliberately left just that little bit left in. Which as a result left me wanting to see more. Which was exactly what I wanted it to do. Just enough to intreague.

But it's also not so much that it's "ink in your face" and therefore likely to give the portrait wider appeal insteal of just getting pigeonholed.

Just a raw photo of me, nothing touched up. Its been a bit of a mofo of a couple of years.

me by Neil Hinder, on Flickr

Feel free to critique away

take out the arms they distract at the edge...not too much..:)

and try a more square-ish format....crop from sides...as you do it slowly you will "feel" when the balance is right
need more room at the top in any event...its cramped imho...
you let the camera choose the format...landscape and not portrait..
cheers
geof
ps i would dodge and burn a bit as well....but you say untouched raw....why?

Thanks for the ideas, some good for thought.

I have issues with square photos Instagram ruined me on that!

But that's aside, I didn't want to touch the photo up, I wanted it to show warts and all everything. It was one for the memory to remind me that even with a hard year we still move on and can grow.

Back