Critique Bedraggled

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
and maybe, just maybe, a reason why one should just say oh hell it;s blighty it's always bloody grey. I'm going to try and take some pics anyway:cool: I genuinely didn't think I'd show anything from last weekend in the gloom , So basically you tell me bin or no.

I really wanted to post in the talk nature (Dull overcast days) thread but didn't feel cool with that so stuck this one here. Guys I've been musing high iso the dull grey and how we can make the best of chances that come for a long time now. But I'm sort of unsure how to go about creating a thread that we can all help each other along. Being a novice myself I don't have the ability to advise,but there are guys here who can. anyone learning wildlife togging here struggles with crap light,to the extent i'd imagine it could interfere with that choice to go. It would be really cool if we could get some base pointers up and share some pics muse and hopefully learn.

Anyway, me old shutter's a bit slow here, I started here at 1/200 f5.6 iso 2500 and basically worked the iss upwards trying to get a handle on what that does to IQ. Hard because I only have dpp so can't yet fully explore NR. TBF asyou can see there was a tiny break in the cloud,sadly Kes turned up just a fraction late for me to get to him(the more I see the more I feel this is a young male, I also believe we make images of his mum) . But there are vestiges of that little gap catching my little mate,even though it is just after 5pm. They really are getting so used to us now it is incredible,it's so cool having a chat with a falcon :p,we must of been with him for ages while he had a wash and brush up and a bit of air drying,which is what I think he's up to here. He looks down listening then probably mutters something about mad B****ds:D and carries on ok they both do. Both now have killed within yards of us,it can only be a matter of time if we keep trying and they keep playing ball until I get a chance to make images of that. ok I'm sort of there already but not really what I want/

Please can I have a nice sunrise tomorrow...pretty;) please

Hey ho, I'll stop waffling over to you :D

Oh same camera same lens

_70F1992 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

bring it on

Stu

Bird.jpg Right I will try again - perhaps this might be better

Last edited:
It works for me Stu,possibly a bit off the top
Cheers Den it's a crop which essentially was from below so you may well have a point mate cheers for that:cool:

Stu

@Stuart Philpott

Hi Stu

First and foremost, my apologies if I have offended you with what I have done to your picture.
Although I am a noob to this, I thought that there was too much white space above the bird's head that didn't really need to be there - after all the subject is the bird itself.
So what I did was to download your picture and crop out the top part using Irfanview hence the modified picture that I posted.

Again I apologise if that has offended you.

My regards

David

Davey mate no offence,never even entered my head bro NONE buddy.(y) WE are utterly good

Ahh mate I'm here to learn bloody hard and have fun:) David,I don't care if you are new or the best tog on the planet I'm grateful you took some time out to ponder my image.I might learn something you might which is why all of us are here. I simply didn't really understand your post hence the ask and the smile. Kiddo even if you hated this and told me it's crap bin it I'd not be offended at all,I would ask you why though because that is where we learn if you thought it was great again really I want to know why you think that. We are all different Dave we see differing things what you might see I might not have to me that is the whole point of a photography forum. We should all be able to express our opinions without anyone getting upset in a good natured friendly way and have a crack,for most of us this is our hobby it has to be fun.

Buddy I concur as with my post to Den I think you are both right,but I try to crop as little as possible,essentially I want to be close,maybe move a focal point about and frame my picture. Kiddo I'm fairly new too,so although I aspire to not crop,i'm not good enough to always achieve that. Every time we crop we loose some detail, we can also boost noise especially at higher iso like this. Bro I hope this isn't me preaching to you i'm just trying to share some of the bits the guys teach me it might help you I'm also taking a bit of time here to show you I am in no way offended. Dave my shutter is a bit low and plausibly I could have shaved a bit off the dof too here getting a bit higher SS which might have helped with sharpness.

Dave as above this was a bit of an exercise really me trying to learn,but not in a set up senario a wild one which seems to be repeating itself and lends itself to me experimenting a bit. I genuinely didn't think I'd like anything I took on those days,but staring at them has helped me get a handle on what my gear does in this semario, Darker bird against brighter sky need careful exposure and I feel I still have much to learn ,plus we live in blighty and so often shoot in crap light. So to me it's really worth putting in some graft to try and hammer all this down. sooner of later a blinding chance will come on a crap horrible day. What I'm trying to do is prepare for that.

when you moved the image mate something has happened to the colour ie WB( white balance),tis too warm now. That is why I was curious as to what you had done as this might have been intentional and I wanted to learn from you why you made that choice.

Buddy I can't speak for anyone else but you won't offend me here,life's too bloody short:D,so don't worry be honest with me kiddo that is exactly what I want.
It's lovely when someone says nice shot or hits a like button but really that doesn't help us move forwards, We don't learn anything.!! Honest constructive critique is gold, man, I wish we saw more of it here .

Belucky bro, i'll gladly apologies for not being clearer no airs and graces here Dave, just a guy trying his best to be better. Hence the crit tag on the image title. If one doesn't know something is wrong we'll make the same mistakes over and over. But if some one had of come here and said you might have done this or that and got better frankly I wanna know and try it

take care

Stu

Back