Bee-Fly feeding

akr

Name
Al
Edit My Images
Yes
Not seen one of these before, maybe because it's only the second year I've had forget-me-not flowers in the garden.

This is a heavy crop, will try again this weekend hopefully. They don't stay long on each flower!

20190423_002448 by alligator1975, on Flickr

Non-Crop maybe better left as was:

OI000023 by alligator1975, on Flickr

This was a fail, got the exposure wrong, and not quite in focus, will try again also. Is this another type of bee-fly or something else does anyone know?

20190422_171517 by alligator1975, on Flickr

Last edited:
I prefer the cropped shot... Nicely done.... I've yet to see one

You have a bee and a bee fly the first is a Bee the eye shape and type is a giveaway
I have only seen a couple of bee flies and I yet to get a shot

You have a bee and a bee fly the first is a Bee the eye shape and type is a giveaway
I have only seen a couple of bee flies and I yet to get a shot

Thanks Alf - I think I need to get myself an identification guide. It did not look like any bee I'd seen before, and kept hovering all the time as opposed to landing, but looking at them again the legs are also very different. Will see if I have one from a different angle and try to work out what it is.

Thanks Alf - I think I need to get myself an identification guide. It did not look like any bee I'd seen before, and kept hovering all the time as opposed to landing, but looking at them again the legs are also very different. Will see if I have one from a different angle and try to work out what it is.

I recomend this book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comprehensive-Guide-Insects-Britain-Ireland/dp/1874357587

Ants, bees, sawflies and wasps are all part of the order hymeoptera they all have antenae similiar shaped eyes and three simple eyes on the head

http://www.bwars.com/

Thanks both!

@davholla slightly weird question but are you on an allotment site with the same user name?

Excellent not seen one yet this year I’ve not managed a decent shot of one yet really like yours

Reactions: akr
Back