Bee Wolf

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
OK, this is not really my thing. I was photographing other subjects and noticed this wasp. It caught my eye because it clearly isn't a bog standard, land in your cola kind of wasp.

As it happened I had my 24-70mm on the camera which kind of does macro so I got a few shots before it flew off having grappled with a honey bee where it wasn't possible to poke my lens and get anything worth seeing.

Having looked it up when I got home, apparently these here wasps catch and immobilise honey bees before burying them and laying a egg on each one, charming.

Posting more out of the possibility that someone might me interested in this particular wasp and not as an example of my prowess with a camera.

View attachment 107747 02A.jpg View attachment 107749

I would love see these.
Nice work

And what a great find and take, nowt wrong with your close-up skills, As Alf said also.

These are like Lamborghinis of the insect world, completely flamboyant body work lol! Fantastic find :)

I would love see these.
Nice work
I agree good photos, the way they are growing in number, you will do one day. Try BMX tracks as solitary wasps love hard ground to nest in and foot paths in busy parks. BTW I saw one of these orange flies, that you and Nick photograph a lot the other day - sadly I didn't get a photo.

I would love see these.
Nice work

Thank you Alf, never knew they exist until yesterday, interesting creature for sure.

And what a great find and take, nowt wrong with your close-up skills, As Alf said also.

Thank you Graham, I usually photograph mostly people which are obviously a bit bigger, so quite pleased that these came out reasonably well.

These are like Lamborghinis of the insect world, completely flamboyant body work lol! Fantastic find :)

Thank you Wez, yes they certainly look flamboyant and as I found out today they are quite aggressive.

Today, I popped back to the location where I was when I got the above images and saw another one, or maybe the same one, managed to fumble a shot of it ruining a honey bee's day.

05A.jpg

04A.jpg

I like the last shot. I like to Get hunting or behaviour shots.

I like the last shot. I like to Get hunting or behaviour shots.

Well done capturing those Tim, especially the last one. Very interesting to learn about its parasitic behaviour and great to see it in action doing its thing.

Thanks guys, it wasn't easy trying get the action shot, especially bearing in mind the two insects equipped with a sharp end each, right in my face.

As I said, this kind of thing is not my bag, but I have to say it is a bit addictive.

Kind regards

Tim

Thanks guys, it wasn't easy trying get the action shot, especially bearing in mind the two insects equipped with a sharp end each, right in my face.

As I said, this kind of thing is not my bag, but I have to say it is a bit addictive.

Kind regards

Tim
I noticed myself getting closer to a wasp with my face than I am really comfortable with yesterday and had a quick WTF am I doing moment haha

Back