Been done to death

I think these kind of conditions can work but you need to work the scene harder - think to yourself are the foreground bush and shoreline rocks worth including? How about trying a long exposure to soften the water? Is the main tree in the right position (a couple of steps to the left might have meant you could isolate the tree from the background hill). Just some considerations, but the main issue I have is the blown out sky - do you have one where there's detail in it?

I think these kind of conditions can work but you need to work the scene harder - think to yourself are the foreground bush and shoreline rocks worth including? How about trying a long exposure to soften the water? Is the main tree in the right position (a couple of steps to the left might have meant you could isolate the tree from the background hill). Just some considerations, but the main issue I have is the blown out sky - do you have one where there's detail in it?
Thanks that's good crit, I did take the scene from a couple of angles so will take a look.

Here are a couple from the same location.
_MG_1868.jpg
_MG_1889.jpg

That’s more like it I think the bottom one with a crop to remove the bottom third (maybe just below the rock on the right) could be the way to go

Nice shots
Where is it?

It's Llyn Padarn at Llanberis snowdonia, this tree is just 50 yards from the car park, can give directions if needed.

That’s more like it I think the bottom one with a crop to remove the bottom third (maybe just below the rock on the right) could be the way to go
Thanks again for your cc, think we are getting close now?
_MG_1889a.jpg

Theres a similiar shot to be had on the banks of loch lomond... Can't remember the name of it at the moment... I've seen some absolutely phenomenal shots of it. I still tried to get my own though despite it being a very popular image. I failed miserably but i'l certainly be revisiting!

Theres a similiar shot to be had on the banks of loch lomond... Can't remember the name of it at the moment... I've seen some absolutely phenomenal shots of it. I still tried to get my own though despite it being a very popular image. I failed miserably but i'l certainly be revisiting!
Milarrochy bay is the one at Loch Lomond.

directions would be good, being useless, I couldn't find it when I had a quick look a couple of years ago :)
See map below, any questions just ask.
llanberis map.jpg

nice PP treatment too
For f***'s sake, Colin - we're not here just for chat's sake, we're here to get to grips with stuff ... if you want to make statements, hold your horses till they've got some s*** under their hooves.

national slate museum worth a visit for photographic opportunities?
It's a treasure-house! But of course the more of us that go there, the more the same shots will get replicated. But it's a fine place to be, anyway. And being in Wales, it's free! Well, maybe not the parking ...

nice one thanks

national slate museum worth a visit for photographic opportunities? it's a 2 hour drive so a long way to go for a tree :)

Ignore the museum and go to Dinorwic. It. Is. AMAZING.

Between Dinorwic, the tree and Dolbadarn Castle, I'd be very surprised if you didn't think the 2 hour drive was worth it. And the Ogwen valley is just the other side of the ridge so you have the boathouse, the classic Tryfan view, Llyn Idwal etc too. An utterly fantastic weekend away for any landscape photographer in my opinion.

That branch isn't usually that low in the pictures I've seen (never been) has it just happened recently?

That branch isn't usually that low in the pictures I've seen (never been) has it just happened recently?

Hey Jack.

It happened towards the end of last year. Such a great shame.

The time before last I was there I had to have a word with a family who were sat there drinking cans of Stella while their little miracles swung from the tree. It was flexing so much I'm surprised it didn't break there and then.

"it's just a tree mate..."

Yep, and you're just a human...

:mad:

@flook999 ... In the area, waterfalls, lakes, boat houses, castles, derelict buildings, quarries, mountains, streams and rivers,trains,fast jets.... all this within a few miles. :banana:

Last edited:
For f***'s sake, Colin - we're not here just for chat's sake, we're here to get to grips with stuff ... if you want to make statements, hold your horses till they've got some s*** under their hooves.
Well strange as it may seem, Lew posted an image in the critique section, yes the thread has morphed a little as these things do from time to time.
But its his thread and he said ..

I value all comments

Back