Beeston on the Beach - Crop added

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
I've been looking for this set of pictures for ages, but couldn't find them in any of my back-up DVDs. They appeared in a random folder whilst I was looking for example shots for a series of articles I've just written on HDR. This particular one was discarded as I preferred the portrait version for a long time, but I decided to use it as an example of pseudo-HDR tone-mapped from a single file.

EDIT: Finally got around to cropping this to a more pleasing composition. Thanks guys. :)

16688478924_b402bd0a3a_h.jpg

Last edited:
Very dramatic but I would prefer the nearest post to not be centre frame.

I think I agree, the central post tends to dominate, but it like the way you hid the sun with the second for the rays.

That's why I preferred the original portrait orientation I took, but I thought I'd post this as I'd fiddled with it.

I really like this one Dean.
If anything, I'd also prefer if the nearest post was a little more off centre :)
Love that sky though.

Yeah, I think that we all agree re the post, Viv. I'm sure that's why it was binned first time around!

Yeah, I think that we all agree re the post, Viv. I'm sure that's why it was binned first time around!
Binned? I would of been well pleased if I had taken that shot myself, although I would of just cropped it so the main post is to the right of the photo. The portrait shot you took must be a stunner if this was binned ;)

Binned? I would of been well pleased if I had taken that shot myself, although I would of just cropped it so the main post is to the right of the photo. The portrait shot you took must be a stunner if this was binned ;)
I'll dig it out. I might even reprocess it a little.

I didn't really want to crop it and lose that sky!

It is a nice moody sky Dean, but I think the image is strong enough for it to be cropped without losing the overall mood of the shot.
Where was this shot taken? if you don't mind me asking, thanks.

Cropped the original as suggested. :)

Would just like to ask; what process did you use to blend the images to HDR? I have tried merging through PS CC and adjusting in Lightroom after but never been able to get such a well balanced image without maxing out shadows and getting lots of halos etc

Would just like to ask; what process did you use to blend the images to HDR? I have tried merging through PS CC and adjusting in Lightroom after but never been able to get such a well balanced image without maxing out shadows and getting lots of halos etc

I've found that even with multiple exposures some images just produce halos with some software. I use Nik's HDR Efex Pro 2 if I want a more artistic shot like this, but if there are too many halos (any) I used Dynamic Photo HDR. I also use Dynamic if I want to balance a photo more realistically. I've used CS5's inbuilt HDR machine and find it similar to Dynamic. The trick is to pull the sliders back further, but if there are halos sometimes you just have to do more PP to clone them out.

Back