Beginner at wild bird photography

Name
Gregg
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Apologies if this has been asked a thousand times before but how can I attract birds to a certain spot to photograph them?

I’ve some woods and a country park at the back of my house. I’ve hid away so the birds can’t see me and put some ‘bait’ in certain spots to try and attract them.

Only problem is they do t seem to want any of it. I can hear them all and see them but can’t get them where I want them.

Any tips/advice?

Thanks

You're doing the right thing. It will just take the birds a while to get used to taking the food.

You'll need to replenish the supply regularly - at least three times a week. Daily would be better . . .

You need to be patient, even in a hide it'll take an hour or 2+ before the birds come down to feed, be very quiet, cover up area's of skin and wear dark or camo clothing, if the lens is white, cover this as well.

Ensure the right feed is out for the birds your trying to capture, birds like cover to escape into if they sense danger, so being in the open isn't going to help.

Some general advice, HTH

As Chris mentions 'ensure the right feed'?

So, just what type(s) are you putting out and in what manner e.g. suet & seeds rubbed into tree bark, scattered seed on the ground....etc?

Thanks everyone.

At the minute the only food I’ve got is dry meal worm. The birds in my garden go mad for it so thought it might be best to use.

Been putting them in nooks and crannies in the trees and on the odd fence post or two.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

At the minute the only food I’ve got is dry meal worm. The birds in my garden go mad for it so thought it might be best to use.

Been putting them in nooks and crannies in the trees and on the odd fence post or two.

Which birds in your garden are most attracted to the mealworms? And bear in mind that not all birds will favour them, so it will depend on what you see in the garden compared to the ones in the woods & country park as to whether they will show the same interest and as mentioned above how long to keep up the good work of feeding them ;)

PS Even for your garden birds, how about putting out some sunflower hearts (no mess from the seed casings).

Robins and Goldfinches go for mealworms, you may only have one of those species around. suet balls or suet blocks are good, peanuts also favoured

Have some suet balls and peanuts in the garage. Noted down the places I baited today so will go back out tomorrow and rebait with some different treats

Sunflower hearts seem to be popular with a variety of birds in my garden (and the squirrels). Those and the suet have to be replaced daily.

Gregg be alot more specific,choose something you want to make an image of learn about it, what it eats where it is likely to hang out. Are there times of day when said subject will be more active.

The more you know of your birds and beasties the more likely you won't be sat for hours in the wrong place. Mate we all spend hours in the wrong place, :LOL:(y) but one can really change those odds, with subject knowledge.

Ok so you have found sommit to make a piccy of and have attracted it with food. So basically you have set up a shot. Now think about what time of day you'll be making an image where is the light how can you find the nicest background (BKG ).............................you are basically feeding a perch Gregg, choose something attractive as said perch that works with your choosen subject.

Mate if you really want to make images of any form of wildlife study the hell out of them first , as a new guy to this you need to make images you'll do that with subject knowledge.

Buddy a question ( hope this isn't partonising.................. do you understand how the shape of a birds' bill might relate to food?

all the luck mate

stu

Dont attaract birds go out into the wilds and find & study them - unless you just wish to photograph the garden variety only :)

You'll soon get bored with photograping Sparrows and Robins trust me

you won't find birds like this Avocet being attracted to any bird food

DSC09933 Delicate style of a Landing Avocet by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back