Beginner Bird Shot

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I have had my DSLR a couple of weeks now and my tripod came Saturday, so was keen to try it out so I set it up in the garden next to the bird feeders. I managed to get this picture of a Blue tit, I was just looking for peoples opinion or advice on the image. Thank you in advance.A7118CC6-34B9-43EB-AA76-7E7898787589.jpeg

Hi Danny, not a bad first attempt possibly a little dark/under exposed (could be my screen??) also maybe think a little more into your set-up/background, getting a bird on the feeder is fine but maybe try to angle or move to open up the background, looks a little cluttered which takes away from the main focus (bird)
Hope that helps

also maybe think a little more into your set-up/background, getting a bird on the feeder is fine but maybe try to angle or move to open up the background, looks a little cluttered which takes away from the main focus (bird)Hope that helps

Ditto it's distracting.
However I've seen worse photos (including my own) after only having the camera for 2 weeks so you are of to a good start.

It might be worth finding a branch and attaching it to your feeder. Birds will sit on this whilst waiting their turn on the feeder.
You can then get a more natural shot.

That is such a natural photo, well done. You can now start building on composition technique - lighting having made a great start. It will all come together as practise can only improve
Just consider the background to frame the subject in at the moment

Last edited:
Hi Danny
What equipment are you using?
I have a Nikon D5500 with the 18-55mm kit lens.

Thanks for all your advise on the background , I will take this into consideration in the future. So, would it be better if it was a plain background? Like the blue sky for example? Thanks again

I have a Nikon D5500 with the 18-55mm kit lens.

Thanks for all your advise on the background , I will take this into consideration in the future. So, would it be better if it was a plain background? Like the blue sky for example? Thanks again
I personally think it’s just the second feeder the rest adds a little locational info/reality, but if you look at the second feeder/right hand side of the picture, just has a lot of “bits” fixings, stand ect, makes it all very busy and detracts from the focus point.

maybe something like this with a blurred uncluttered background may give you some idea. Not my best example but !!!!!! that is if it is of any help. Nothing to distract from the subject. It is the nearest I have to your photo

ve6ijlu.jpg

Last edited:
I personally think it’s just the second feeder the rest adds a little locational info/reality, but if you look at the second feeder/right hand side of the picture, just has a lot of “bits” fixings, stand ect, makes it all very busy and detracts from the focus point.

Yes, I think I agree with you now that you have pointed it out. Thanks for your advice.

maybe something like this with a blurred uncluttered background may give you some idea. Not my best example but !!!!!! that is if it is of any help. Nothing to distract from the subject. It is the nearest I have to your photo

ve6ijlu.jpg
Yes, This helps thanks. I can see the difference with how in your image you see the subject straight away, whereas in mine you sort of have to look for it.

Last edited:
How did you fire the shutter Danny? A long remote lead?

Taken a bit of a liberty. Quick adjust in Lightroom mobile and a crop.
LRM_EXPORT_277389402625641_20190218_223516945.jpeg

That looks great thank you.
Just an idea of how a bit of crop and adjust can change an image. Its not cheating, post production is a big part of digital photography. Always best to try and achieve what you want "in camera" but dont be afraid to tweak. Part of the fun. (y)

Just an idea of how a bit of crop and adjust can change an image. Its not cheating, post production is a big part of digital photography. Always best to try and achieve what you want "in camera" but dont be afraid to tweak. Part of the fun. (y)

Great, thank you for your advice.

Why not find an old log preferably with moss on it put a small hole in it and fill with peanut butter crunchy is best as it doesent smear their beaks as much and wont show in images.
or jam peanuts in,they will soon find it.Then hang up somewhere so that the hole is just out of sight .This will give you a more natural looking shot.

If you just sit and watch some garden birds, you will see they have a favourite perch so just watch all their movements and go from there. Like some who have said, try and make a perch for the birds and try to keep the background clean/clear then let the birds find it and watch for a while then you can start to take images of them.

Why not find an old log preferably with moss on it put a small hole in it and fill with peanut butter crunchy is best as it doesent smear their beaks as much and wont show in images.
or jam peanuts in,they will soon find it.Then hang up somewhere so that the hole is just out of sight .This will give you a more natural looking shot.

If you just sit and watch some garden birds, you will see they have a favourite perch so just watch all their movements and go from there. Like some who have said, try and make a perch for the birds and try to keep the background clean/clear then let the birds find it and watch for a while then you can start to take images of them.

Great ideas, will have a go at doing both. Thanks

Is this a better shot? I have also done as you suggested and put some peanut butter in a log although, they don’t seem to be taking much interest in it at the minute.C245597E-5713-4BF4-A35E-67EF75C35A22.jpeg

Back