Beinn a'Chrulaiste.

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
I was recently asked to provide a couple of pictures from the view up Chrulaiste for a friend writing an article which got me pouring over some old files looking for suitable candidates.
This is a selection of such pictures taken a few years ago before the location became super popular.
The point of the article was to highlight it doesn't have to be the biggest hill in the range to get the best viewpoint, Beinn a'Chrulaiste fits this description perfectly.

Chrulaiste.JPG

Chrulaiste-2.JPG

Chrulaiste-5.JPG

Brilliant shots, all of them.
Is it straight forward getting up there?
Thanks.
Yes, just plod up the western flank keeping away from the edge on your right. It's steep, boggy and pathless, or was when I was going up but suspect there's a faint path forming with the increased footfall.
You don't have to get all the way to the top to gain a good vantage point. Even the smallest amount of elevation opens up the view to Stob Dearg and the glen.

Last one nothing to be said but WOW. I love an inversion but that whisp of cloud and that light. Must have been glorious to be there
Thanks. Took 2 and a half years and over a dozen accents to finally get an inversion from up there. I work midweek so trying to get a inversion to coincide with a day off was frustrating. Haven't set foot on that mountain since that day, felt I was done with it.

Last edited:
Thanks folks.
great shots
is this hill before the cut off for glen etive ?
next time your going take one of my sd card lol lol
It is, it's the unassuming hill opposite the Buachaille.
You carry the gear and I'll carry the sd card for you. ;)

I'm not surprised you haven't been back; it must have felt like "mission accomplished"

After high teens or twenty something ascents I was really starting to detest the climb up so it did feel like putting a picture to bed when I finally got an inversion. Haven't been up since, this was back in 2015.
Because I have pictures I'm happy with from there and because it's become super popular much of the appeal and impact of this location has waned somewhat so happy to draw a line under the view from Chrulaiste.
The dark sky is overdone but looks better on the large uncompressed file and in print, it's an applied digital grad. Try not to use any grad or polariser filters when doing large pano stitches. This is a 5 picture stitch IIRC.

Nice selection there Scott. Those soft pastel colours are simply gorgeous on the second one, I bet you had a little tingle when it was happening, and well worth that bloody hump up the hill. I've never got any thing when I've gone up there, so its still on my list to do :jawdrop:

Thanks guys.
Nice selection there Scott. Those soft pastel colours are simply gorgeous on the second one, I bet you had a little tingle when it was happening, and well worth that bloody hump up the hill. I've never got any thing when I've gone up there, so its still on my list to do :jawdrop:
Aye, that tingle was frost bite. I've been in cold winter conditions before, lots of times, but this was the coldest I've ever been. So much so I nearly came off the hill before sunrise. -16 when I left the car, easily -20 on top with altitude gain, then a few more degrees less for wind chill.
I'll be honest Paul, this view once drew great admiration and attention. It's been done to death now so much of it's impact has waned over the years. If I never had one from up there it wouldn't be high on my to do list now but can understand why people want one.
Beautitful set of images Scott.

For me this view is rivalled only by Stac Pollaidh when it comes the smaller mountains.
Yep, agree with that. The altitude v reward ratio is high with Stac Polly.
Truly stunning photos, the last one especially :cool:

Thank you.

Aye, right enough.

I remember not wanting to go up last time as there was a hoar frost in the glen but wee Billy was desperate to go up so I went up with my bottom lip far enough out to stand my camera on it.

There’s something about #2 that presents a great sense of depth, perhaps the vanishing point of the road and the Last shot is a Stunner Scott. A fantastic set.
I certainly missed this beauty in my absence from the forum.

No 2 and the very last one are great captures. I'll actually give an edge to the last one and it has to be shown absolutely huge to really appreciate the landscape in its full details and texture.

Great images, the last one is the best for me, love it. I love Glencoe is my most favourite place in this world. I did this climb at about 5AM when it was pitch black. I had a long head torch on and could see eyes reflecting back at me; I cr&pped my pants then immediately started going through the dangerous wild animals we don't have in the country to reassure myself. It was just deer and they ran away when I got a bit closer haha. I'll need to get back down there before they destroy it with building works because of the hydro plans :(

Back