Bempton Cliffs

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
I am hearing that the Gannets are building nests now at Bempton Cliffs, anyone know how extensive this is ... an odd one or two or is it really in swing now?

I would say its a bit early yet Roger.

Since moving into the 21st century and getting one of Lynn's cast off android phones :D, I'm on the Flamborough Orbs watsapp thread so get alerts.

There's been some big flocks of both Gannets and Auks reported but only seen out at sea as yet :)

I would say its a bit early yet Roger.

Since moving into the 21st century and getting one of Lynn's cast off android phones :D, I'm on the Flamborough Orbs watsapp thread so get alerts.

There's been some big flocks of both Gannets and Auks reported but only seen out at sea as yet :)

Ah, thanks Phil, I'm wanting to pop up for a few days again this year but it's a bit too soon for me yet so that all sounds good. :)

I agree with Phil-D, bit early yet, I would leave it another month perhaps. I keep looking at the RSPB "recent sightings" section and a few days ago they counted 300+ on the cliffs. I usually make my first visit early to mid April to view the gannet action.

I agree with Phil-D, bit early yet, I would leave it another month perhaps. I keep looking at the RSPB "recent sightings" section and a few days ago they counted 300+ on the cliffs. I usually make my first visit early to mid April to view the gannet action.
Sounds like a plan (y)

Hi Roger I went last Sunday only a few are building nests a few pairs are getting to know each other again also theirs a razorbills and gilimots
Thanks Kev (y)

Ah, thanks Phil, I'm wanting to pop up for a few days again this year but it's a bit too soon for me yet so that all sounds good.

Give a shout when you go gramps, I'll have a ride up and have a couple of hours with you, would be good to meet you, and any other members, if that's ok with you that is :)

Give a shout when you go gramps, I'll have a ride up and have a couple of hours with you, would be good to meet you, and any other members, if that's ok with you that is :)
Would like that Ian, last year I met up with Phil-D and that was good to do. (y)

Would like that Ian, last year I met up with Phil-D and that was good to do

It's a date then gramps, just let me know when you will be there and I'll make sure I have a free day, I will need the wife to dog sit ;-)

Be good to have a catch up over a cuppa Roger (y)

Let me know when you and Ian are meeting up, hopefully we'll be able to make it over.

Watching with interest as I have never been but one of my cousins moved to the East Coast recently and has said anytime I want to stay I can so I think a weekend over that way is on the cards and combine it perhaps with a Flamborough Head sunrise.

More the merrier Tony :welcome:

In the words of the song gramps "Mercy snakes alive looks like we got ourselves a convoy" :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:(y)

i might pop over there in a few hours and have a look its only a 20 min drive for me :)

No snow over there then Peter? We're going nowhere here, no snow in fields, its all on the roads as 4ft drifts :banghead:

We normally book for a week or two in may/ June and stay on one of the local caravan sites .but this year the wife’s waiting for a operation and the daughter and one of the granddaughters are getting wed in may ,so not booked anything yet . But hopefully it will all be resolved by June

No snow over there then Peter? We're going nowhere here, no snow in fields, its all on the roads as 4ft drifts :banghead:

Yes we have snow here but not a lot maybe a couple of inches, but the a64 looks pretty clear from here I only live 100 yards from it :)

I'll keep an eye on this thread If you don't mind gents, I need an early trip up there this year.
That's if Phil-D doesnt scare all the birds away!
Mike

cough! cough!

If I remember rightly its you they seem scared of :p be good to have a catch up Mike (y)

cough! cough!

If I remember rightly its you they seem scared of :p be good to have a catch up Mike (y)

No worries pal, I need a couple of trips up there to do some scouting missions for whatever else is available to be pretty much guaranteed to shoot for a late June trip, so I'll definitely be up at some point, be nice to meet up with a few members if my shifts allow.

Even I can't scare all the gannets away!

Mike

I usually go to bempton every year or so and I think I am due another trip so maybe I'll see some talk toggers there probably around may time.

I'm thinking of heading up to bempton Monday afternoon and evening if anyone is around.
Any ideas for other close by locations gratefully accepted as well!

Mike
Will be interested in hearing what's about on the cliffs Mike, although I probably won't travel up until the end of May. :)

Will be interested in hearing what's about on the cliffs Mike, although I probably won't travel up until the end of May. :)
If you have a look on the rspb site they update the viewings board every few days on the blog page. Hoping to see a couple of gannets if I'm lucky [emoji14] .

I'll let you know

Mike

I keep promising to visit a mate of mine who lives In Flamborough, I'll watch this thread to see if I can make a (the) date Cramps!

Ooops! Sodding predictive text!

Then again maybe it fits us both Gramps?

I went today Roger, and it was very slow. All the usual suspects were there but all down low. Nothing bar gulls and jackdaws came up to eye level.

Hopefully it's just a lull caused by the previously cold weather but for photos I'd not be recommending it right now

Mike

I went today Roger, and it was very slow. All the usual suspects were there but all down low. Nothing bar gulls and jackdaws came up to eye level.

Hopefully it's just a lull caused by the previously cold weather but for photos I'd not be recommending it right now

Mike
Thanks Mike, hopefully better for me next month then. :)

P

Mike
Thanks for the update, I'm booked to go up at the end of the month. Hopefully things improve by then.

Just had a check on the last time I went which was a fantastic session and that was 24th April so hopefully you'll be fine

Mike
If I do manage a few days early June I,ll let you know mike ,know a couple of spots that will suit a bit of belly crawling to get close to the puffins LOL

If I do manage a few days early June I,ll let you know mike ,know a couple of spots that will suit a bit of belly crawling to get close to the puffins LOL

Cheers Jeff, I'm struggling early June, think I can only possibly do Monday 11th. I normally go away from the normal areas and actually off the reserve to what they call the 'wilder area' for the best shots - I'm always up for a little more knowledge though of you have a secret hideaway!

The day wasn't a washout, I got a couple of reasonable shots, just nothing that had me desperate to get on the computer when I got home

Gannet-1-Apr-18.jpg

Gannet-2-Apr-18.jpg

Gannet-3-Apr-18.jpg

Mike

Im booked to go the first weekend in June, if anybody knows any good spots away from the hoards it would be appreciated.

there are no secret spots ,timing is of the essence to avoid the crowds ,though sometimes they are helpful if a rarity occurs as there are so many birds to look at and someone may spot something you miss ,a couple of years back there was a juvenile peregrine sat about 50 feet away from a viewing platform all day hard to spot without help .
my fave place especially early June is along the cliffs between north landing and flamborough head ,its usually alive with puffins close in but caution is urged as the best shots are gained by belly crawling to the unfenced cliff edge ,so young children and free roaming dogs should avoid the area. i.e
hey you get off of my rock by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back