Bempton Cliffs

Had a couple of hours Friday evening until dusk, then a couple of hours yesterday afternoon.

Plenty of birds about, Gannets, Kittiwakes, Razorbills, was surprised at how many Puffins are already there, not many Guillemots or Fulmars though so hopefully more of them to come.

A few shots, the wings were clipped deliberately, its called art :p:oops: :$:D

Puffin 1024.jpg

Gannet 1024.jpg

Gannet 1024 2.jpg

Razorbill 1024.jpg

my fave place especially early June is along the cliffs between north landing and flamborough head ,its usually alive with puffins close in but caution is urged as the best shots are gained by belly crawling to the unfenced cliff edge ,so young children and free roaming dogs should avoid the area

I think Skomer or Farne would be far better for you, I realise you may have to travel but it would be a lot safer and much closer shots are to be had there :)

Hopefully, if I can avoid the bl**dy Tour of Yorkshire :banghead:, I'll be over Flamborough again this Friday afternoon and Saturday with the wife.

If anyone's at Bempton and fancies a meet for an hour give me a shout, always good to have a natter over a pot of tea :)

Looks like plenty going on there now so plan to have a few days early next week ... hope the weather stays dry and the birds active. :)

Looks like plenty going on there now so plan to have a few days early next week ... hope the weather stays dry and the birds active. :)

I'm going again today until Sunday so will probably miss you this time round Roger. Weathers looking promising well into next week, have a good trip and enjoy (y)

I'm going again today until Sunday so will probably miss you this time round Roger. Weathers looking promising well into next week, have a good trip and enjoy (y)

Thanks Phil, you too ... Iook forward to seeing what you get. :)

I'm thinking about making the trip this weekend but it's 4 hours each way for me.

Is the car park open 24 hours? I was planning on a very early start from West London.

I'm thinking about making the trip this weekend but it's 4 hours each way for me.

Is the car park open 24 hours? I was planning on a very early start from West London.

The carpark is open 24hrs and although there's a sign up saying no overnight parking they turn a blind eye and let campers stay there.

Their thinking is the vans overnighting are added security

i think i will be popping along sometime over the weekend :)

Morning Peter, just spotted this, did you go?

We popped up to Bempton Saturday evening for the low sun but it was bitter, felt more like winter in the wind, stuck it out for a couple of hours but that was it, was freezing!

Woke up yesterday morning to sea mist so ended up at Blacktoftsands in the warm sunshine :D

The place is full of deaf photographers ... keep saying ‘good morning’ but they can’t hear!

So it's not just me then, I thought I'd upset them last time I went :-(
Wish you had given me a heads up gramps I could have come today, will you still be there Friday ?

Wish you had given me a heads up gramps I could have come today, will you still be there Friday ?
Sorry Ian ... I go back home Thursday morning. :(

Sea mist early today until around 9am, cold last evening but great today. The place is full of deaf photographers ... keep saying ‘good morning’ but they can’t hear!
Will be when I get there ,my hearing is getting worse each month . So if I ignore you don’t take offence ,i won’t know anyway :naughty:

Morning Peter, just spotted this, did you go?

We popped up to Bempton Saturday evening for the low sun but it was bitter, felt more like winter in the wind, stuck it out for a couple of hours but that was it, was freezing!

Woke up yesterday morning to sea mist so ended up at Blacktoftsands in the warm sunshine :D

unfortunately the Mrs was not feeling too well so we did not get there :(
will have to try to pop after work one evening this week before we head off for a long weekend to the opposite coast :)

unfortunately the Mrs was not feeling too well so we did not get there :(
will have to try to pop after work one evening this week before we head off for a long weekend to the opposite coast :)
Sod all in wales peter that’s why we’re going to bempton

Sea mist early today until around 9am, cold last evening but great today. The place is full of deaf photographers ... keep saying ‘good morning’ but they can’t hear!

or ones that choose not to listen that you just can't help lol
I was up there once and saw some (approx 5-6) looking into the field towards the owl nest boxes.
I said are you looking for the short eared owl they mumbled yes.
I informed them it was in the field the other side of the car park and i had been watching it for the last 10 min and was still there.
they mumbled again and said they would wait for it to come round.
i saw them again about 1 1/2 hours later asked if any look and they said nope not seen anything of it :eek:

Will be when I get there ,my hearing is getting worse each month . So if I ignore you don’t take offence ,i won’t know anyway :naughty:
Looks like more early mist this morning and looks quite windy from a mile inland ... anti-mist specs and warm jacket/fleece required methinks.
So far been really bright light and shadows so quite challenging on exposure.

This sounds like a stupid question but I'll ask anyway.

I've been a few times to Bempton and contemplating going again this weekend (2hr drive) but I've tried getting up early for the morning sun to be on the cliffs. Which is ok for the cliff shots but the birds in flight ones not so much due to shooting into the sun rise. Are the light levels more suitable morning or evening on the cliffs?

I've been a few times to Bempton and contemplating going again this weekend (2hr drive) but I've tried getting up early for the morning sun to be on the cliffs. Which is ok for the cliff shots but the birds in flight ones not so much due to shooting into the sun rise. Are the light levels more suitable morning or evening on the cliffs?

Hiya Tom

The majority of the cliffs are NE facing, some parts North facing. At this time of year, with the sun setting in the NW, it can make for some gorgeous evening light.

The last few viewing platforms North (left side) from the RSPB center can be very productive in the evening sun (y)

There is also a good chance of sea mist in the morning...

Mist.jpg

That was at 9am on the only day I had any sun ... the other days it was dull and the mist was a pretty thick blanket until 8:30/9am.

Good to know, thanks guys. That morning mist looks challenging but I would actually love the challenge of getting an "animal in its environment" shot of some of the seabirds! Maybe this weekend I head there for the evening instead of having to get up at 3am!

Good to know, thanks guys. That morning mist looks challenging but I would actually love the challenge of getting an "animal in its environment" shot of some of the seabirds! Maybe this weekend I head there for the evening instead of having to get up at 3am!

It was nearly a 5 hour drive for me and even with the poor weather it was well worth it to see and photograph the birds again. :)

Bit of a barney!
by Roger, on Flickr

well i popped up this afternoon with the Mrs
not looked at my pics yet but nothing special it was absolutely heaving there.
I could really do with finding some nice vantage points as I only have been to the viewing platforms etc with the Mrs and its a squeeze to get in anywhere.
I did smile nod and say Hi to quite a few fellow Tog's and can confirm 2 reciprocated out of about 50 :eek:
one I did strike up a quick chat with as he was using a D750 with sigma 150-600 and i have been debating parting with my D7200 and getting a D750.

Back