Bempton meet up

I've never done the boat before which is why I'm keen to try it.

From people I know who have, its fast frenetic action, leave the big lens back on dry land as they're in close

Website shows 3 places left

Mike
Mike

How many have signed-up and do you know if there are still spaces on the boat? Is it fairly easy to get decent shots from the boat? Work is my main problem on 22 June plus the long journey.

John, that would be fantastic if you could.

Is there any chance of a PM please with the details?

Be good if you're around for this as well - you can never have enough gannet shots!

Mike
Mike
Did you get my email? Cheers

John

Currently just one place left on the boat on 22nd June. :)

Mike

How many have signed-up and do you know if there are still spaces on the boat? Is it fairly easy to get decent shots from the boat? Work is my main problem on 22 June plus the long journey.
Having done a diving Gannet trip last year its all about kit and technique, you only need a smallish lens as the birds are flying and diving right next to the boat , most of my shots were taken with a 100-400mm lens at the shorter end of the focal length zooming out to take wider group shots of the hundreds of birds that are in the air , shutter speed is critical firstly because they hit the water at around 60mph and they are very close , I was lucky with the light on the day so able to shoot at 1/4000th and still keep a low ISO, Secondly although the boat is stationary whilst the feeding frenzy is going on you are still standing up and swaying around to keep your balance so some inevitable camera movement which the speed helps manage, needless to say the straighten tool in photoshop will be your best friend as keeping the camera level with the combination of the swaying boat and fast panning is a challenge Having said that is a wonderful wildlife experience irrespective of the photography and a bit of video on the camera or mobile phone looks amazing with the noise of the birds quite deafening at times.

Having done a diving Gannet trip last year its all about kit and technique, you only need a smallish lens as the birds are flying and diving right next to the boat , most of my shots were taken with a 100-400mm lens at the shorter end of the focal length zooming out to take wider group shots of the hundreds of birds that are in the air , shutter speed is critical firstly because they hit the water at around 60mph and they are very close , I was lucky with the light on the day so able to shoot at 1/4000th and still keep a low ISO, Secondly although the boat is stationary whilst the feeding frenzy is going on you are still standing up and swaying around to keep your balance so some inevitable camera movement which the speed helps manage, needless to say the straighten tool in photoshop will be your best friend as keeping the camera level with the combination of the swaying boat and fast panning is a challenge Having said that is a wonderful wildlife experience irrespective of the photography and a bit of video on the camera or mobile phone looks amazing with the noise of the birds quite deafening at times.

Very helpful. I do not have a 100-400, but have a 300 and 400 prime and a 100-200 and 150-600 zoom. I expect the primes will not be as useful as the zooms. Is 100-200 too short on FF possibly ok on aps? The 150-600 covers all but is heavier. Or is this an excuse for another lens!

1/4000th is much faster than I usually use, hope we also get good light.

Did you use single spot AF or zone AF?

Was there just one change to photograph the diving gannets os several?

Apologies for several questions.

Regards

Very helpful. I do not have a 100-400, but have a 300 and 400 prime and a 100-200 and 150-600 zoom. I expect the primes will not be as useful as the zooms. Is 100-200 too short on FF possibly ok on aps? The 150-600 covers all but is heavier. Or is this an excuse for another lens!

1/4000th is much faster than I usually use, hope we also get good light.

Did you use single spot AF or zone AF?

Was there just one change to photograph the diving gannets os several?

Apologies for several questions.

Regards
The zoom lenses would be your better option , I had a 100-400 and 70-200 and used both but the majority of my shots with the 100-400 were taken within the 100-200 range . If the speed of focus is good enough on the 150-600 ( guessing its the Sigma or Tamron ) then that would be ideal as you would get your close up diving shots at the shorter end but more reach for other shots as there are plenty of opportunities to capture other seabirds rafting on the sea which you cant get from the cliff tops at Bempton.
The Gannets dive at real speed and they are very close to the boat , I got splashed many times as they entered the water literally a couple of feet away from the boat , 1/4000th will guarantee to freeze the action but as I said the light helped me on the day , 1/3200th might do the job but I did not experiment on the day. I was shooting with Canon gear at the time and I used the single spot with the four additional points around it . The feeding frenzy goes on for around 30 mins so it is non stop action during that time with endless opportunities to be taking images ( I took over 1500 ) After a few minutes observation of what is happening I learnt to recognise which birds were about to dive so locked onto them before they commenced diving , they hover like Kestrels and contort their bodies just before they plunge. Once they hit the water dont be too hasty in lifting the camera back to the sky for the next one as there is some great action shots to be had as birds emerge from the water with a fish and get attacked by others who are just waiting to rob them and the action can get very nasty with numerous birds all fighting for one fish. If you want to see some of my shots you will find plenty on my Flickr stream https://www.flickr.com/photos/sdawes/. Hope that helps

So according to the Chief Medical Officer the Coronavirus is likely to be at its peak in June. :(

I am still aiming to attend. I have not booked any accommodation yet so I will probably only book a few days near Bempton and return home rather than continue to another location. If the boat trip is called off, we should be refunded, which would be disappointing but we are into uncharted times.

we are into uncharted times.

Indeed ... as an "elderly" with "underlying health issues" it's already begining to sink in.
If it ends badly at least my weeks accommodation can be cancelled and refunded up until begining of June ... hopefully won't be needed.

being in the same situation as gramps ,it’s a case of playing the waiting game ... looking on the bright side the current situation might make it less crowded

Email today from Yorkshire Coast Nature, postponing all events until end of April then reviewing.
Can't see much changing by end of April TBH ... 12 weeks isolation to come for me makes it a lost cause I think :(

Still hoping for the best but may have to change the title soon to bempton meet up 2021!

Mike
Really hope not :( but it is looking likely, I am guessing the gannet boat trip can be done a little later in the year too ? not as good timing for cliff nesting etc but still be gannets about ? Just thinking ahead about them asking to reschedule to a later date

Really hope not :( but it is looking likely, I am guessing the gannet boat trip can be done a little later in the year too ? not as good timing for cliff nesting etc but still be gannets about ? Just thinking ahead about them asking to reschedule to a later date
Bit of a trot for me to do a day-trip to Bridlington for a rescheduled 4-hour boat trip.
Current thinking is June will see the peak of the UK area of the pandemic, which means it'll be into October before we're down the other side!

As it stands I'm still planning on going up there, but certainly not booking any accommodation until the last minute.

I've been wanting to do the boat shoot for a few years now so if it has to be put back then having to wait another year to get a few photos then unfortunately, so be it.

I think the trips run until early August when the birds head off elsewhere.

A real shame, I was (still am [emoji1696]) looking forward to putting some faces to names

They are just offering to reschedule my booking to next year (response to my email).

The boat trip ... accommodation is fine.

I am in the vulnerable category so I may need to do the same which is a shame, but as Mike says there is always next year. Assuming we don’t get Covid -20 or 21.

I am in the vulnerable category so I may need to do the same which is a shame, but as Mike says there is always next year. Assuming we don’t get Covid -20 or 21.
Let's hope that there is still the opportunity next year, who knows what the next 12 months will see ... for people & businesses. :)

Let's hope that there is still the opportunity next year, who knows what the next 12 months will see ... for people & businesses. :)

Personal question but do you expect to keep to 12 weeks self isolation? I am still working and fortunately can work from home, but not being able to go to the shops etc is difficult.

Personal question but do you expect to keep to 12 weeks self isolation? I am still working and fortunately can work from home, but not being able to go to the shops etc is difficult.

That is our plan ... it is horrendous to think about and we will have to be creative.
We have video-conferencing set up to communicate with family & friends and to take part in our religious meetings.
Family and friends are helping with shopping but hopefully that need will ease if the supermarket ever adopts a 'needy before greedy' policy.
We have tried internet shopping for some items on Groupon & eBay but there is obviously a good set of conditions now for some suppliers to take orders/money when they have no supplies of the product to hand ... I have always been careful when internet shopping but now I am at the stage where genuine suppliers will probably not get my trust. :(

Being in a high risk group and also realising that this is not going to go away any time soon ,I will pull out of this one the majority of my recent shooting has been done either from my car or from solitary places .. unfortunately with virtually the whole population off as well it’s going to be busy at reserves etc so having to re.think everything .heres to next year ... unless they announce covid-20pro

who did you email?
I booked through info@yorkshirecoastnature.com and asked for a refund but my email is showing as cannot be delivered.
That’s where I emailed and got the “next year” reply.
How did you pay, can you get a refund that way?
I guess as it’s a future event a refund atm might be difficult.
I’ve cancelled my AirBnB accommodation with no loss of goodwill and a full refund.

Anyone tried a Paypal refund request?
Worrying if the yorkshirecoastnature email address isn't receiving mail.

He's happily posting pictures on twitter maybe ask him on there? https://BANNED/wildlifeimages

Back