Bempton meet up

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
***** Had a word with a mod, agreed that this thread can start here and if there is any interest it can then go into the appropriate area *****

I'm just putting it out there to see if anyone fancies a meet up at Bempton Cliffs, either late May or early June for a couple of days.

Basically, my idea is to get up there for an afternoon session, followed by a couple of beers. Next morning get up early if the forecast is good and have a morning session, as the shots at this time are different to the evening ones - light permitting.

Then either relax before another evening session, or if anybody has other locations in mind - grouse moors or travel to the Red Kites or anything else you can think of.

Next morning book onto the gannet boat to get them feeding right next to us before heading off home.

Obviously, that's just an idea for an itinerary, loads of cheap accommodation nearby, the only expensive thing would be the gannet boat which is about £80.

It'd be nice to put some faces to names, swap ideas, maybe a few PP pointers around the laptop in the pub! Guaranteed subjects to shoot, hopefully guaranteed a few laughs as well!

Any takers?

Mike

Possibly mike ,depending on health,finances etc

I would be keen to go. But it'd be nice to have one or two other folks to share the travel with (possibly driving) from London/Cambridge area.

Interested, subject to dates & circumstances.

Oi.....don't be giving all me secret locations away!! :bat: :LOL:

Sounds good Mike, at least for some of it, afraid I'll have to give the boat trip a miss though :puke:

Sounds like there may be a few possibles then. I'll have a look at exact dates, then whoever fancies it can make the necessary bookings as and when they want to

I’m interested Mike I could tie it in with a work trip either side of it

I have visited for the last two years but never did the boat trip. I am very interested depending on dates. It is a long trip from Berks but on past experience well worth it.

If you send me a pm a few days before I will pop over one evening if it’s during the week or during the day if it’s a weekend. I only live 8 miles from there

I usualy go in June as a day trip from here in Lancs - so this could work for me :)

Im no birder but would love to pop up for a day from Doncaster.

Possibly mike ,depending on health,finances etc
I would be keen to go. But it'd be nice to have one or two other folks to share the travel with (possibly driving) from London/Cambridge area.
Interested, subject to dates & circumstances.
Mike, I may possibly visit you during one of the days, as a day-tripper, when final itinerary announced. Possible additional location nearby could be a trip to Flamborough cliffs.

Russ
Oi.....don't be giving all me secret locations away!! :bat: :LOL:

Sounds good Mike, at least for some of it, afraid I'll have to give the boat trip a miss though :puke:
I’m interested Mike I could tie it in with a work trip either side of it
I have visited for the last two years but never did the boat trip. I am very interested depending on dates. It is a long trip from Berks but on past experience well worth it.
If you send me a pm a few days before I will pop over one evening if it’s during the week or during the day if it’s a weekend. I only live 8 miles from there
I usualy go in June as a day trip from here in Lancs - so this could work for me :)
Im no birder but would love to pop up for a day from Doncaster.

OK, so a bit of interest here - how about we set a date for arriving on the afternoon of Thursday 28th May. There is a boat trip available with 11 spots currently at 7am on Friday 29th. However, regarding the boat trip, see below.........

i'm up for this (y)

£80 for the Gannet boat sounds steep, I did it last year onboard the Becca Marie out of Scarborough at a cost of £35
£80 does seem steep. Is it for a workshop or just a boat trip?

I've seen the Becca Marie sail past before, and yes it is cheaper. The one I mentioned is a dedicated photography trip, I believe the Becca Marie os more of a sightseeing boat. Do they feed the birds close in to get the best shots?

If its good for photos and there is enough room for a group of us to be swinging lenses around then I'm up for saving money, otherwise we might need to take the hit for the best shots

Mike

Probably a little far for me with time constraints etc.

Would love to have put some faces to the names.

I've seen the Becca Marie sail past before, and yes it is cheaper. The one I mentioned is a dedicated photography trip, I believe the Becca Marie os more of a sightseeing boat. Do they feed the birds close in to get the best shots?

If its good for photos and there is enough room for a group of us to be swinging lenses around then I'm up for saving money, otherwise we might need to take the hit for the best shots

Mike
I would rather pay the extra Mike, I know you really know your stuff so rather than look cheaper always better to pay more and get the better experience IMHO

OK, so a bit of interest here - how about we set a date for arriving on the afternoon of Thursday 28th May. There is a boat trip available with 11 spots currently at 7am on Friday 29th. However, regarding the boat trip, see below.........
I think this is The Spring Bank Holiday Children’s School holiday week? So accommodation maybe an issue that week plus extra visitor numbers ?

any ideas on b&b prices etc mike and can you pick me up on the way LOL and if its school hols then finding somewhere to stay might be expensive

Last edited:
I think this is The Spring Bank Holiday Children’s School holiday week? So ...... extra visitor numbers ?
That's a good point, it can get very crowded ... also would a little later give a better chance of seeing chicks?

Probably a little far for me with time constraints etc.

Would love to have put some faces to the names.
I would rather pay the extra Mike, I know you really know your stuff so rather than look cheaper always better to pay more and get the better experience IMHO
That's a good point, it can get very crowded ... also would a little later give a better chance of seeing chicks?
East Riding kids are on holiday that week and return to school Monday 1st June.

Good points regarding the holidays - best to avoid them.

There is a possible boat trip on Mon 22nd June, 10am so has the potential to be in bright light, but it will avoid the holidays, which I'd prefer to do

Mike

any ideas on b&b prices etc mike and can you pick me up on the way LOL and if its school hols then finding somewhere to stay might be expensive

No problem heading down together to save on petrol mate. I've previously just got a cheap B&B in Bridlington centre - loads to choose from, nothing glamorous but was good enough for me!

First year I helped out with the workshops they all stayed at the Lobster Pot, which is similar to a travel lodge. Last year they stayed in a place called the White Horse in Driffield which wasn't fancy at all, but did have the benefit of being attached to a pub and they were great with getting us breakfast at any time we wanted, whilst I stayed at a converted farm called Highfield Farm, but it is a little pricey if we're looking at keeping the costs down.

Personally I'm happy enough with cheap and cheerful

I may be up for it, depending on if I have to run another workshop in Farne Islands again in June.

Grouse up in North Yorks?

I know there are Grouse up in the North York Moors, but not the exact locations. My Grouse stomping ground is best part of 2 hours away, so if you known the local area better I'd love to hear some ideas

Mike

Mike

They do feed the birds but yeah the boat isn't huge, (I think it has a 12 passenger limit) only 4 people had cameras on the day so it was fine but 12 could be a whole differnet story.

I guess if people are happy to pay £80 for the cruise and to attend on a weekday to avoid the crowds at Bempton then that's the way to go, you'll only regret it later if the event isn't how you imagined it to be.

Unfortunately the weekday thing kinda rules me out, if others are undecided I'd say do it, it really is a fantastic experience.

Maybe next time (y)

I know there are Grouse up in the North York Moors, but not the exact locations. My Grouse stomping ground is best part of 2 hours away, so if you known the local area better I'd love to hear some ideas

Mike

Hey Mike, I never did any grouse at Yorks and I only saw them flew past either when I was in the car or when I do not have my big whites, such typical eh :ROFLMAO:

If we're doing Bempton morning and evening one day, I'm sure I can find a couple of spots for us to spend a few hours photographing Razorbills, Guillemots ect, inflight without traveling too far (y)

Unfortunately the weekday thing kinda rules me out,

I think we're having either a Saturday, Sunday or both , either before or after the gannet trip.....:thinking:...... just get yourself along then Darren(y)

Edit - I've just been reminded we're due to become first time Grandparents middle of June so I might not be there.......apparently :facepalm:

Last edited:
The website says Staithes which is about an hour and a half from Bridlington during the summer. There are cruises from Bridlington on the Yorkshire belle.

Yorkshire Belle

Back