Bempton meet up

I think we're having either a Saturday, Sunday or both , either before or after the gannet trip.....:thinking:...... just get yourself along then Darren(y)

Unfortunately I can't do that either, I'm visiting Rutland that weekend :( to do the Horn Mill Osprey hide :D. It's a christmas gift from the wife so that has to come first, we're booked on the stupid o'clock morning session (4-8:30am) so we plan to go down the day before and then make a weekend of it.

I'm sure there will be other meet ups in the future, I'll do my best to attend one ot those (y)

The website says Staithes

Definitely Bridlington (y)

Diving Gannet Photography Experience
Join me this Summer on an incredible wildlife experience watching and capturing stunning images of thousands of Gannets diving for fish underneath the breathtaking Bempton Cliffs, East Yorkshire, UK. We sail from Bridlington Harbour around Flamborough Headland and then up to Bempton Cliffs which holds over 400,000 breeding seabirds.

Booked my usual accommodation from 16th - 23rd.
Boat trip options ATM are for 17th at 7am or 22nd at 10am.
If there is a sea mist I'm not sure how good the 7am will be ... do they still go out if visibility is useless?

I could be interested if you will have me, :D you say a visit to see the kites, where would they be as I cannot think of any close to bempton

do they still go out if visibility is useless?

Not sure about sea mist Roger but me mate had one cancelled last summer due to bad weather and they gave him less than 24hrs notice.

Offered another date or refund, he couldn't do another date so got a refund.

I could be interested if you will have me, :D you say a visit to see the kites, where would they be as I cannot think of any close to bempton

Of course you're welcome Steve. The Kites are at Harewood which is about an hour and half drive, but the feeding fits in well time wise if people are prepared to put in the leg work.

It's not a workshop or anything so everybody is free to do as the please obviously, and I'm more than happy to listen to people with local experience over 'guaranteed' subjects close by

Mike

I might pop along I only live about 10 miles away :)
I might learn a lot.
You won’t from mike ,I’ve known him for years and still need a interpreter LOL

You won’t from mike ,I’ve known him for years and still need a interpreter LOL
Be careful you may lose your lift!

I'm with Brentnor on this one! (y)

Just to be clear is the plan to make the boat trip on 22 June?

I'd say thats a good shout, Gramp is up there, I can be there that day, hopefully a few more. I'd suggest we'll have to make individual bookings though unless we get big numbers in which case we could consider contacting the operator direct.

Not sure we'll get enough definites to do that though.

This is a possibility for me for the Saturday through the day, thought about doing the boat trip too but that's not so definite as yet but I'll keep an eye on this post to give any updates

May be able to make one of the days Mike would make a nice relaxing day armed with just binoculars ..I have a few locations in Noth Yorks but would need to just jog my memory as its been a while ..

Added attraction ... Bridlington Lobster Festival 20-21 June :)

Of course you're welcome Steve. The Kites are at Harewood which is about an hour and half drive, but the feeding fits in well time wise if people are prepared to put in the leg work.

It's not a workshop or anything so everybody is free to do as the please obviously, and I'm more than happy to listen to people with local experience over 'guaranteed' subjects close by

Mike
I have Frequently seen a pair at Scampston Hall, I normally see quite a few grey heron there as well (they breed there)

I have booked the Monday off work and plan to work in Sheffield the week before then come over Friday night and stay through Monday (or work in Sheffield from Tuesday, can you remind me of the local accommodation just a B&B for 1 ideally, can you just confirm the boat trip to book and the day so I do not book wrong one, I am thinking its Yorkshire Coast Nature one on Monday

Last edited:
I have booked the Monday off work and plan to work in Sheffield the week before then come over Friday night and stay through Monday (or work in Sheffield from Tuesday, can you remind me of the local accommodation just a B&B for 1 ideally, can you just confirm the boat trip to book and the day so I do not book wrong one, I am thinking its Yorkshire Coast Nature one on Monday

Hi Adam,

I've booked onto the boat for the 22nd June, 1000hrs start. Hopefully the weather gods will be smiling. This is the link to the one I've booked.

http://www.yorkshirecoastnature.co.uk/workshops/55/2020-diving-gannet-photography-experience

My plan is now to get up towards tea time on the 21st, do an evening session at Bempton. Morning session early on land if the weather is any good then get to the boat.

Afternoon and evening on the 22nd we can decide amongst ourselves, If the sun is out, I do like the late evenings on the cliffs. I'll stay over again on the 22nd , do a morning Bempton session on the 23rd then head back home.

I've not booked any accommodation yet, there are loads of options in Bridlington, I'll probably just look on booking.com

Mike

Im trying to work out whats best to do.
I only live 16 miles away so if we are having a chat etc after in a pub i will be ok for a couple of shandys so can still drive home lol.
not sure i can really justify staying at a hotel 25 min away :)
still debating on the boat trip and taking the day off work.

Tough decision! :beer:
It is a expensive decision that's for sure lol.
there is the boat fee which is not too bad but then there is also losing a days wages :eek:
I could always drag the caravan to Thornwick bay and tell the Mrs were having a holiday lol

Last edited:
Hi Mike,
Hope that you are well - I have just stumbled upon this thread. A mate and I have gone to N Yorks for a few years, were meant to go out with Steve Race but got cancelled due to the weather. We have found a few places which have been successful - grouse, stonechat, whinchat, ring ouzel, resdstart. I do not want to post on a public forum but if you are interested in these sites let me know and I will email you.
Hoep all is well, cheers
John

John, that would be fantastic if you could.

Is there any chance of a PM please with the details?

Be good if you're around for this as well - you can never have enough gannet shots!

Mike
Hi Mike,
Hope that you are well - I have just stumbled upon this thread. A mate and I have gone to N Yorks for a few years, were meant to go out with Steve Race but got cancelled due to the weather. We have found a few places which have been successful - grouse, stonechat, whinchat, ring ouzel, resdstart. I do not want to post on a public forum but if you are interested in these sites let me know and I will email you.
Hoep all is well, cheers
John

Mike,
Corrected a sentence for you
Be good if you're around for this as well - you can never have enough gannet puffin shots!

No problem - I will send details in the next few days - woudl like to attend but have some personal issues to resolve before committing. Happy to help where I can!!
Prefer the Isle of May or Farnes, as there are more puffins :) but Bempton not so bad!!

Take care and speak soon

John

Mike

How many have signed-up and do you know if there are still spaces on the boat? Is it fairly easy to get decent shots from the boat? Work is my main problem on 22 June plus the long journey.

Back