Ben Nevis sunset and Kilchurn castle sunrise - last weekend madness.

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
Kilchurn castle. It took me quite a few painful mornings to get a sunny morning. The irony is that it looked like a hopeless start of the day and I was traveling home and just stopped there by chance.

A few hours earlier I was climbing Ben Nevis. The top was in a cloud so I stopped at around 8-900m height and got a pretty decent sunset considering how bad it looked.

This was tricky to do. Sun caused a lot of flare so it was blended to death from a few different frames masking the sun, etc. Foreground choice was pretty limited.

I was pretty convinced I'd get a very red sky, but this was all it did.

I think it was a pretty decent return from a pretty bleak weekend. This weekend I only got a half-baked car snapshot in the lakes instead of a Scafell pike climb. Stupid weather this year is taking a p***.

P.S. There will not be "alternative" versions of these

Last edited:
well you just go on repeating the same images over and over then, and thanks for replying to my honest question in your other thread Thomos, keep on enjoying the great outdoors, dont see your disaproval if I'm being honest but hey ho fellow member all the very best
Kevin

Last edited:
well you just go on repeating the same images over and over then, and thanks for replying to my honest question in your other thread Thomos.

I don't know what I have ever done to you or one of your mates. You are playing very nasty today. I would be grateful if you would please never come near my posts on here or anywhere else. Many thanks.

P.S. Have you ever shot anything other than Snowdownia? Not sure I want to know the answer.

You have done nothing to me and I'm a great fan of you work alwyas have been , I nearly spat my tea out when you suggested adding a sky to an image this evening and i asked the question and going by your replys it looks like you would add a sky to an image, forgive me if I came across to strong but I honestly thought you where just having a joke oboviously not, And i will continue to shoot Snowdonia until the day I die fellow menmber no regrets there, and you have certainly crossed the line by adding that statement, that's bang out of order and I have captured many stories outside my passion for the hills and have had great results mainly pictures of the queen and the household division during the trooping of the colour 2015 amongst others

Last edited:
#4 is a nicely composed image. The scene is strikingly attractive & elegantly portrayed in subtle and delicate light.
I also like #3 very much BTW.

Last edited:
Number 4 is fantastic but I'd be tempted to clone the pylons out (can't believe they put them there)

A really great set of images, I'd be well happy with any of them.(y)

George.

.. the first is my pic. Prefer the prominent scale of the castle
Interesting comment. For me, this take of the castle ruins is becoming rather familiar and a bit cliche'd, like some of the frequently recorded scenes in Skye and elsewhere in the Scottish Highlands:grumpy:
In #4, the castle dominates the frame less, there is more interest displayed in the wider landscape, and the composition is rather less familiar.:whistle:
Hope this doesn't sound too jaundiced- it's just my personal opinion:(

I prefer 1 and 2- colours and composition.
The only problem is the pylon and it's reflection- they turn up everywhere!

Interesting comment. For me, this take of the castle ruins is becoming rather familiar and a bit cliche'd, like some of the frequently recorded scenes in Skye and elsewhere in the Scottish Highlands:grumpy:
In #4, the castle dominates the frame less, there is more interest displayed in the wider landscape, and the composition is rather less familiar.:whistle:
Hope this doesn't sound too jaundiced- it's just my personal opinion:(

lol cliched. It's cliched as it's good. The weather patterns, light all make for unique takes on this subject.

If you've been to the area this is easily the best angle to take. It's an iconic view and this has to be one of the best takes of it.

Hell, they're better than my best arguably.

http://www.sftphotography.co.uk/sunset-sunrise-landscape-photography-scotland/

The conditions he's got here are perfect . Calm still water, great light and a fabulous sky. How could you not want to take that and have it. It'll hopefully sell.

I prefer 1 and 2- colours and composition.
The only problem is the pylon and it's reflection- they turn up everywhere!

I dislike those pylons were much. Cloning should be easy enough given some time and will be certainly done in the near future. They could paint them salad green or something similar to blend them into the landscape.

If you've been to the area this is easily the best angle to take. It's an iconic view and this has to be one of the best takes of it.
I know the area extremely well, and have often cursed these atrocious pylons. I do entirely agree that all these photos are out of the top drawer, and great credit to daugirdas. No adverse criticism intended- it's just that #4 stands out for me- I love the scale, the range of subtle colours in the sky & its reflection, and the mist rising off the water- so evocative.

Last edited:
Who on earth allowed those pylons?! I do like your photos, makes me want to drive the 500+miles from Surrey to see it in person. :)

Who on earth allowed those pylons?! I do like your photos, makes me want to drive the 500+miles from Surrey to see it in person. :)

You should come :) There are a lot more great views than this.

The pylons are a real eye sore. You should see how bad they look around Kelpies (new fancy horse head sculptures)

edit: better get a flight to Edinburgh and hire a nice SUV. Less stress and probably cheaper.

Last edited:
First one is the nicest I've seen!

You should come :) There are a lot more great views than this.

The pylons are a real eye sore. You should see how bad they look around Kelpies (new fancy horse head sculptures)

edit: better get a flight to Edinburgh and hire a nice SUV. Less stress and probably cheaper.

You can avoid the pylons at the Kelpies by careful framing.

You won't see this as like most of this forum you have me on your ignore list but number 1 is a real corker and the best I have seen from you in a long time :)

1 and 4 for me, great reflections and I like the little layer of mist in 4.

The pylons don't bother me (didn't even notice them at first) but 4 has a tiny red dot in the left hand side of the reflection (very near the shoreline) which could do with going.

Back