Benbo Trekker

Edit My Images
Yes
I am thinking of getting a new tripod as my existing one was a freebie when subscribing to a magazine. Not very stable and therefore not used.

Most of my photography is wildlife, and having an IS lens most of the time it would be fine handheld. I think the lack of tripod is whats stopping me trying other areas of photography, ie landscape/low light/macro etc.

So, not wanting to spend too much on something I might not use, but not wanting to buy something that is not up to the job.

This is just a long winded way to ask is this any good? :)

I think Dod has one?

PS: Will need to hold a canon 20D and with a 100-400 on occasions

I have a full sized Benbo and it's fantastic for getting low down shots and shots at any angle, but you woiuldn't want to carry it around!!

The Trekker will be a better proposition for carrying around -there are few tripds as adaptable as the Benbo. The only thing I'd urge caution on is that when Benbos are fully closed for carrying, the legs are side by side, unlike normal tripods where the legs close against each other, so it's quite wide and might be awkward. No doubt Dod will comment if he has one.

I like it Dave and it can hold a 20D, grip and 100-400 although I wouldn't like to try it at full extension.

I bought mine second hand and assuming the ball head is the same as I've got it's pretty solid. More than adequate for anything I've asked it to do so far. That looks like the better Mk1 model, the Mk2 has a swivelling head thing which reduces stability by all accounts. You can also add a pan and tilt to the other end of the column for even greater flexibility with the Mk1.

It takes quite a bit of getting used to. The central locking bolt releases everything, legs and "centre" column. You'll end up the first few times cursing it because you're adjusting everything. That disappears quite quickly but I think it will always be a love it or loath it tripod.

Ironically from a landscape point of view I find it a bit of a nuisance. Fine if you're not too far from the car but for any distance it's a bit awkward to carry as it doesn't fold down like a traditional tripod.

This actually sounds a bit negative but it's not supposed to be, just my honest assessment of how I find it :)

Just hope they don't send you one of their other items for sale :shock: :laugh1:

Back