Bengal Tiger

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Recently returned from a 12 day trip to Bandhavgarh National Park in India ( same location as the recent BBC dynasties series ) . It was a really difficult trip from a photography perspective as my prime target the Bengal Tiger is so elusive and difficult to see let alone photograph , the time of year made it more difficult as the jungle was in full bloom after the recent monsoon rains which helps the Tigers stay even more concealed. Had I have gone next April / May time it is apparently easier to spot them as it is the height of the dry season and with daytime temperatures well over 100 degrees both Tigers and their prey do not stray far from the dwindling water holes and the Tigers spend a good proportion of the day actually lying in the water to keep cool. However I chose Nov/Dec because the park looks so much more vibrant as opposed to a dry dustbowl. I managed 7 separate sightings during my stay albeit the majority were fleeting glimpses from distance or when it was getting dark but I had a few photographic opportunities but had to think and act fast as they tend not to hang around. This one is a young male who along with his siblings are still with their mother, something disturbed him as he suddenly appeared out of the shadows of the bamboo thickets snarling and growling before walking back into the shade of his resting place but not before having a quick look back at our jeep.
Bengal Tiger ( Panthera tigris tigris ) by Steve Dawes, on Flickr

Fantastic trip, great to see and capture this image :)

Great picture and story behind it.

I don't think I'd have the bottle to get as close as this to one of those. Scary creature and you've captured that fear they instill.

They're just big pussy cats! Prrrrrrrrr.......

Actually, photographically speaking, I might try a square crop; losing that big empty space on the rhs, and really focussing in on that truly magnificent creature.

They're just big pussy cats! Prrrrrrrrr.......

LOL - until it's up close to you tearing you limb from limb.

Actually, photographically speaking, I might try a square crop; losing that big empty space on the rhs, and really focussing in on that truly magnificent creature.

I can see why you'd say this re the shot - but I quite like the negative space, it seems more contextual and lets your imagination run wild with "what if something was there" and what gorey mess would ensue.

Thanks guys , I deliberately copped it to keep the empty space as this was the darkness of the bamboo thickets that the Tiger quickly disappeared into and I wanted to show the natural environment

That's a superb shot. Good idea re minimal cropping. Came into this forum looking for any Royal Bengal Tigers you photographed after see the Long Billed Vulture over in Birds.

stunning shot Steve

Back