weekly Bernd's 52 in 2017 - week 26: Face

Really like the first magnet shot, very clever idea and well shot.

Magnets and filings were my first thought, but I couldnt lay my hands on any quick enough (I knew someone would do this).

Second shot is very well done, I like it a lot.

Two good photos, I like the sense of movement in the firs but love the sharpness of the filings and the red/grey contrast in the second.

The one with the iron filings works better for me, nice idea
Thank you Allan!

Magnets and filings were my first thought, but I couldnt lay my hands on any quick enough (I knew someone would do this).

Second shot is very well done, I like it a lot.
Thanks Mark! The first one who has done it was David @dmb but I had the idea before he submitted his photo, so I still went with it :)

Two good photos, I like the sense of movement in the firs but love the sharpness of the filings and the red/grey contrast in the second.
Thank you Chris!

Filings for me! I love the way the filing become magnetic meaning filings sticking to filings. (y)

Filings for me! I love the way the filing become magnetic meaning filings sticking to filings. (y)
Thanks David!

Great detail in the second - it looks almost organic. I agree with Jill that the movement blur in the first makes it - great focus on the fingers too (y)
Thank you Emma!

Although I like the detail in the second shot it's #1 for me, very good idea and good timing to catch it mid way. Maybe a slightly less distracting background would have made a stronger shot though.

Although I like the detail in the second shot it's #1 for me, very good idea and good timing to catch it mid way. Maybe a slightly less distracting background would have made a stronger shot though.
Thank you Steve! I cheated, the equilibrium between gravity and the magnetic force is not a stable one. I used a trick I've learned from Frank @SamuelSlade007 to make the magnet levitate and added a bit of motion blur in post processing :)

Not so keen on the first one. The idea is good, but the floating magnet is lacking depth, and looks stuck on. The second one is absolutely brilliant. nice bit of colour, and the attraction of the filings is brilliant. nice work.

Not so keen on the first one. The idea is good, but the floating magnet is lacking depth, and looks stuck on. The second one is absolutely brilliant. nice bit of colour, and the attraction of the filings is brilliant. nice work.
Thank you!

Dark, what a cracker of a shot like that the focus is on the lit match and you or model. also like the light in the eye with a great BG. The London Dungeon is a good shot, like the jester type bloke on the stairs, but my choice has to be the first shot (y)(y)
Thank you David!

I like the catchlight too Bernd, though the light on the nose is slightly distracting for me, I'm sure it would be impossible to avoid. The light on the cornea as opposed to the pupil also gives the picture a slightly spooky "grasshopper" aspect:D

I like the dark shot, and has been said,the hotspots are distracting but NOT desperatley so IMHO.

Looks like you need matte foundation :), I think it is a really compelling image though, I love the intensity of your gaze on the lit match. The crop and closeness of the match to your face all add to the story for me

Like the shot with the match, I like the lighting and as others have said the intensity of your gaze, is that an evil glint in your eye or the reflection of the flame!;) Like it.

Nice shot with the match the highlights don't brother me, it's just a really good idea well executed

I like the catchlight too Bernd, though the light on the nose is slightly distracting for me, I'm sure it would be impossible to avoid. The light on the cornea as opposed to the pupil also gives the picture a slightly spooky "grasshopper" aspect:D
Thank you John! The grasshopper eye wasn't intentional, side effect of not looking into the lens :)

Dark, well captured. Pity about the hot spots on the nose but I like the bright eyes.
Thanks Andy!

I like the dark shot, and has been said,the hotspots are distracting but NOT desperatley so IMHO.
Cheers Mark!

Looks like you need matte foundation :), I think it is a really compelling image though, I love the intensity of your gaze on the lit match. The crop and closeness of the match to your face all add to the story for me
Thanks Chris, I'll put more make up on for the next selfie :D

Like the shot with the match, I like the lighting and as others have said the intensity of your gaze, is that an evil glint in your eye or the reflection of the flame!;) Like it.
Cheers Roger!

Nice shot with the match the highlights don't brother me, it's just a really good idea well executed
Thank you Allan!

Agree that the light reflecting in the eye gives it a really strange feel, makes the eye look almost lizard like which adds to the dark feel. Nothing wrong with the London Dungeon shot but the first one is much stronger. Must have been interesting getting the focus and timing right with the lit match.

:D well lit.

Nice idea, nicely posed. (y)

... and the Dungeons ... love that character LHS.

Agree that the light reflecting in the eye gives it a really strange feel, makes the eye look almost lizard like which adds to the dark feel. Nothing wrong with the London Dungeon shot but the first one is much stronger. Must have been interesting getting the focus and timing right with the lit match.
Thank you Steve! I used a remote shutter release and a table just outside the frame to give me guidance :)

11 Dark Brrnd, so much concentration, it works really well.
Thanks Tim!

Smashing photo with the match Bernd ..I don't mind the highlights .. sometimes photos like that can go very 'flat' if you clone out the highlights ...I think it all works well to make a very effective image.
Thank you Susie!

Definitely works for me. Great focus on the match and, pardon the pun, well lit :coat:
Thank you Jill!

:D well lit.

Nice idea, nicely posed. (y)

... and the Dungeons ... love that character LHS.
Cheers David!

Loving your dark image Bernd, a real good idea, nice reflection of the match in the eye and the highlights work well with the background, which is a good even black, nice :)
Thank you Dean!

Back