weekly Bernd's 52 in 2017 - week 26: Face

Attractive - I like both your manet shots but the nd with the filings just pips it for me.
Dark - The first shot with the match is the best for me and the highlights from the match on the face.
Power - The first shot is the best for me too.
Reshoot - I like the barrels leading away.
Above - both shots work well for the theme I like the lights against the sky.

Two different attempts both work i find the scales to be of more interest, I like the elephant weights very unusual, maybe you should have got everything in the frame I'm not sure

the phones look a little floaty a different BG maybe, both good for the theme though

Love the two scales Bernd,but not a fan of the compo Im afraid.
Plus Im naturally suspicious of anyone that has TWO sets of scales for weighing white powder...... ;)

Prefer the objects in the first, as Emma says the scales with the elephants looks lovely. Picture lacks a bit of impact for me though.

The second shot has less interesting items but more colour and impact for me.

The first says "evolve" but not the second as the phones look same generation to me. If the phone LHS is newer I think it should be placed RHS.

Like both of these, the scales being my favourite. Well done !

Evolved, two good shots Bernd like them both and the elephants and salt go well, my pic is the mobile phones as like the BG as it sets the photo off well :)
Thank you David!

Two different attempts both work i find the scales to be of more interest, I like the elephant weights very unusual, maybe you should have got everything in the frame I'm not sure

the phones look a little floaty a different BG maybe, both good for the theme though
Thanks Allan!

Love the two scales Bernd,but not a fan of the compo Im afraid.
Plus Im naturally suspicious of anyone that has TWO sets of scales for weighing white powder...... ;)
Cheers Mark! The white powder is sugar, but the scale on the left is (supposedly) a Burmese opium scale.

The scales shot for me Bernd - what a gorgeous set the first is with the elephants. Maybe a wider shot or having the second set upright might have worked better?
Thank you Emma!

Prefer the objects in the first, as Emma says the scales with the elephants looks lovely. Picture lacks a bit of impact for me though.

The second shot has less interesting items but more colour and impact for me.
Thanks Steve!

The first says "evolve" but not the second as the phones look same generation to me. If the phone LHS is newer I think it should be placed RHS.
Thank you David! The phones are in the right order, nowadays mobile phones are getting bigger again. So that they won't fit into standard size pockets anymore. :)

I'm liking both of them ideas Bernd, the first works well although not keen on the crop, but the phone image certainly works well for me, nice idea (y)
Cheers Dean!

Like both of these, the scales being my favourite. Well done !
Thank you Kathleen!

Both good ideas. The scales are really interesting, just a shame the shot isn't a little wider. I remember having a 'brick' phone, they then got smaller....and smaller....and smaller until it was a tiny flip-up phone. Then, like me, over the years they have got bigger again. :p

two clever takes on the theme. yes, id prefer the scales if the edges weren't missing. i do like a nice black background though, and the phones have just pipped it for me. nicely done.
Thank you!

Two nice ideas and very apt for the theme. The old scale is unusual and the inclusion of salt adds to the context.
Thanks Stan!

Both good ideas. The scales are really interesting, just a shame the shot isn't a little wider. I remember having a 'brick' phone, they then got smaller....and smaller....and smaller until it was a tiny flip-up phone. Then, like me, over the years they have got bigger again. :p
Thank you Jill!

Excellent Berne, I like it peeking out from behind d the high wall and a good sky too

Evolve(d) - hope that is nothing naughty you were weighing, otherwise you may end up being HELD. :) As others have said I would have gone for either a wider shot to include all of both scales or possibly cropped even amounts off both.

Hi Brrnd

Above - The tighter shot, great use of negative space and good work controlling the motion blur on your subject. I love it that she is on her mobile, even on the ride.

Evolved (scales) - (y) for the story telling. The crop works too.
Have you considered having a play with levels to give it more punch?

Evolved (iPhone) - Bang on theme and more punchy than the scales, but less interesting. I'm sticking with your scales ;)

Hold - That's a good idea for the theme. Plenty of detail, ominous sky.
Were you going with the overall grey feels as a statement on prisons? If so I applaud the processing.

Hi Bernd, doing a bit of a catch up now I've got upto date with my themes.

Attractive - Great ideas but the 2nd one edges it for me. Great detail
Dark - Love the lighting just enough detail showing. Hope you didn't burn your fingers!
Power - People power for me lots of lovely details and I like all the blues and yellows
Above - Like both of these, would probably have lost the trees in the bottom of the 2nd shot
Hold - Great in B&W, certainly looks pretty grim.

:D

Hold, like the sky and pp in this shot. Got to have a place to Hold the naughty folks :)
Thank you David!

Excellent Berne, I like it peeking out from behind d the high wall and a good sky too
Cheers Allan!

It looks pretty dark to me maybe a stop too much for my liking for an outdoor image, but composition wise and theme wise both very good, good to see a clear path and road, also a nice moody sky too :)
Thanks Dean. My aim was to get a dramatic sky, maybe I went a bit overboard with the processing. I agree, the prison looks a bit underexposed.

Evolve(d) - hope that is nothing naughty you were weighing, otherwise you may end up being HELD. :) As others have said I would have gone for either a wider shot to include all of both scales or possibly cropped even amounts off both.
Thank you David!

Agree with the others on the composition of the scales Bernd, but I love those elephant weights, I've not seen any like that before.
Spot on shot of the prison, the high wall, the heavy sky and the b&w ... works perfectly, excellent choice for the theme :clap:
Thanks Susie!

Hi Brrnd

Above - The tighter shot, great use of negative space and good work controlling the motion blur on your subject. I love it that she is on her mobile, even on the ride.

Evolved (scales) - (y) for the story telling. The crop works too.
Have you considered having a play with levels to give it more punch?

Evolved (iPhone) - Bang on theme and more punchy than the scales, but less interesting. I'm sticking with your scales ;)

Hold - That's a good idea for the theme. Plenty of detail, ominous sky.
Were you going with the overall grey feels as a statement on prisons? If so I applaud the processing.
Cheers Tim!

I don't mind the darkness of this given the subject - with the sky it adds to the oppressive feeling. Nice one!
Thank you Emma!

Hi Bernd, doing a bit of a catch up now I've got upto date with my themes.

Attractive - Great ideas but the 2nd one edges it for me. Great detail
Dark - Love the lighting just enough detail showing. Hope you didn't burn your fingers!
Power - People power for me lots of lovely details and I like all the blues and yellows
Above - Like both of these, would probably have lost the trees in the bottom of the 2nd shot
Hold - Great in B&W, certainly looks pretty grim.

:D
Thank you for commenting Georgina!

Juliet balconies, loft conversions, barbed wire and, what, nets to keep the drones out! ...and what a sky

Thanks Dean. My aim was to get a dramatic sky, maybe I went a bit overboard with the processing. I agree, the prison looks a bit underexposed....
Not overboard for me, sky looks great, and now on my laptop and the exposure doesn't look bad, but the screen is much brighter than my PC monitors so now totally confused with it :D

Interesting take and an interesting angle to take it at maybe front on would be better but I have no idea of the situation

I like the angle but would maybe take a little off the left hand side. I'm also mixed about the light patch inside the shop behind the Dunhill sign, part of me would like the sign clearer as it's a big part of linking it to the theme but I also like the fact that I had to work to read it.

Interesting take and an interesting angle to take it at maybe front on would be better but I have no idea of the situation
Thank you Allan!

I like the angle but would maybe take a little off the left hand side. I'm also mixed about the light patch inside the shop behind the Dunhill sign, part of me would like the sign clearer as it's a big part of linking it to the theme but I also like the fact that I had to work to read it.
Thanks Steve!

Nice take on smoke, like the reflections in the window. My only grip would be to show more of the Dunhill sign :)
Cheers David!

black and white works a treat with the scene, highlights do seem a little to bright around the main sign. cigar lounge shows quite nicely on the window. Also I like the fact that you can see a person looking out of the window on the right hand side.
Thank you Michael!

This was shot on a bright day around mid day, and this angle is the only angle I found where the image wasn't dominated by the reflections, even using a CPL filter.

The person is giving me the evil eye after I've asked him if I could take photos in his shop. You may NOT take photos inside that fancy cigar shop in Mayfair :)

It's a good idea for the theme and I love the mono conversion but have to agree with others that it's a bit of a shame that the tobacco sign is a little lost.

I like it pretty much as it is. Good b/w, good angle (maybe a smidgen more front on). Sometimes i like to have to really look at the photo to see it all (if you know what i mean), the fact that i can't read the Dunhill sign straight away doesn't bother me.
I'm surprised they are allowed to advertise Dunhill tobacco on the front of the shop.

Last edited:
Back