weekly Bernd's 52 in 2017 - week 26: Face

Good subject nicely framed by Tower bridge, the vignette looks a tad heavier on the left than the right to me but it's well done all the same.

Two things for me Bernd -

First off - its nealry a cracking image of Tower Bridge, but someones put something in the way....

Secondly - I feel the sculpture is in to much shadow so no real detail can be seen.

Ive not been that way by foot for ages so dont know how it looks in reality ?

Its a good shot but my eye is drawn to the dark area centrally.

Dont mean to be harsh if thats how it sounds ?

Hi Brrnd.

Comfort - Liking the low PoV of the shot and the contrast between the rough sleeper and the girls walking by oblivious.
It could benefit from a little keystone correction on the right hand side though.

Hairy - You don't often see raspberries quite so large, it does accentuate the hairs at that size. The focus stacking looks spot on to me too.

Smooth - That's an odd thing Brrnd. Nicely framed by the towers of the bridge. I don't suppose there is a way, but wouldn't it be nice to frame the image to obscure the lamp post too

Nice find, I must look out for that/those.

I like the compo/framing and the reflection of the main subject. And some people movement BG. (y)

Really like the mono processing. Cool subject too :)

Always hard to make an original shot out of such a much photographed landscape, but i think you really pulled it off well and made it good for the theme too. This is definitely one of my favourites for this week, I like the clear sky, shiny smooth floor, and the main subject framed between tower bridge is just awesome. Perfect use of vignetting and B&W too - fantastic. I can see foggy's point about the reflection in the easter egg thing, but I didn't notice that until it was pointed out. Still great for me!

No idea what it is or what the sculpture is about. Would be nice to have a short text/explanation. But it's an excellent image with good composition. I particularly like the dead-centre position against the Tower Bridge and the reflection. Personally, I would incline to clone out the wire/lights and maybe even the persons leaning against the railing.

Comfort - an interesting image for the theme, and a stark reminder that not all of us are lucky enough to have homes of our own.

Hairy - simple but yet fits the theme, and a nice good close up of the raspberry.

Smooth - a perfect take on the theme, good processing, love the motion blur of the people walking by.

Great subject and location, pondering if it needs to be a little larger in the frame to make some of the reflections in more detail. (y)
Thank you! I think you don't need to see more details in the reflections, unless you want to see the photographer crouching down in an undignified manner :)

Great shot Bernd ... love the composition with the of people in the background.
Thank you Susie!

Good subject nicely framed by Tower bridge, the vignette looks a tad heavier on the left than the right to me but it's well done all the same.
Thank Chris! It does, doesn't it? I've put the post crop vignette in Lightroom without touching the mid point, but the photo without the vignette is a bit darker on the left side, not helped by the person in black lingering on the left corner...

Dont mean to be harsh if thats how it sounds ?
Cheers Mark, fair enough. That was the effect I intended to achieve, I haven't clipped any shadows and the sculpture really is just a structureless blob.

Smooth - That's an odd thing Brrnd. Nicely framed by the towers of the bridge. I don't suppose there is a way, but wouldn't it be nice to frame the image to obscure the lamp post too
Thank you Tim! I don't think it's possible to have both, the sculpture frame by Tower Bridge and the lamp post hidden behind the sculpture. I could have cloned the lamp post out, but where does one stop then...

I like that Bernd, the crop leaves it a tad central which is a shame, but like the subject and the London bridge background :)
Thanks Dean!

I like the compo/framing and the reflection of the main subject. And some people movement BG. (y)
Thank you David!

Really like the mono processing. Cool subject too :)
Cheers Paul!

Still great for me!
Thank you Dom!

No idea what it is or what the sculpture is about. Would be nice to have a short text/explanation. But it's an excellent image with good composition. I particularly like the dead-centre position against the Tower Bridge and the reflection. Personally, I would incline to clone out the wire/lights and maybe even the persons leaning against the railing.
Thanks Stan! I agree with cloning out the wire and the lamp posts, but I quite like the people. Short explanation: It's a full stop in the font 'slipstream'. Long explanation: click here.

Great light makes it darker and it appears extremly smooth.:clap:
Thank you Shirley!

Comfort - an interesting image for the theme, and a stark reminder that not all of us are lucky enough to have homes of our own.

Hairy - simple but yet fits the theme, and a nice good close up of the raspberry.

Smooth - a perfect take on the theme, good processing, love the motion blur of the people walking by.
Thanks Mandy!

I like that a lot Bernd - the vignette does look heavier on the left, but other than that pretty much spot on for me - love the reflection on the wet ground.
Thank you Emma! Regarding the vignette see above :)

The opal is not a mineral but a mineraloid, so it is a shoe horn at best...

It all works for me ... like the colour of the cuff and the reflection of the stripes on the lower edge of the cufflink itself.

Smooth link, like the shot but would it of been better at a lower angle :)
Thank you David!

Nice composition and subject, black and white works really well
Thanks Mark!

I've no idea what a mineraloid is, so it seems on theme to me.
Colour matched too boot.
A bit of loss of the texture though on the part of the cufflink closest to the camera.
Cheers Tim. Science alert: mineraloids are mineral-like substances without the crystal structure.

It all works for me ... like the colour of the cuff and the reflection of the stripes on the lower edge of the cufflink itself.
Thank you Carl!

Mineral - quick off the mark for this theme, it works for me all the colours work well together.
Thanks Mandy!

No shoehorn required, interesting take you have done something other than just take a pic of a rock

Yeah nice idea to use the cufflink on the shirt rather than stand alone ... and yes the shirt is actually of more interest to me.

Interesting cufflink and nice detail.

I'd prefer a rotation say 30 degrees CCW, to add a bit more dynamism.

Well lit as well.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy!

Theme wise it works fine for me, I am liking the composition/close in of the look, nice detail in the s***s cloth and stitching :)
Thank you Dean!

Love the colour in that stone Bernd, I like the idea of taking it 'in situ' rather than just a random placing.
Thank you Susie!

Nice idea to use the cufflink on the shirt - I'm enjoying the detail in the shirt as much as the cufflink itself!
Thanks Emma!

No shoehorn required, interesting take you have done something other than just take a pic of a rock
Cheers Allan!

Yeah nice idea to use the cufflink on the shirt rather than stand alone ... and yes the shirt is actually of more interest to me.
Thanks David!

Nice combination, like the subtle colour,:)
Thank you Walter!

Very nice contrasting textures although the shirt does remind more of a deck chair material.(y)

I'm best man at my mates wedding renewal and they've just bought me some camera cuff links. Could be useful for a future theme. :D

Smooth - Great perspective and it looks very smooth. Is this a permanent piece? I'm coming to London in March, would be great to see this:)

Mineral - Nice cufflink :) Nice detailed close up :)

Last edited:
I thought I'd commented on this before now but it seems not. It's a nicely detailed photo and sharp throughout, I've never tried lighting an opal but I wonder if you could have made it glow a bit more?

Smooth - I like the low POV, the wet and shiny floor and the contrast between the moving/blurred people and the sharp/static full stop. I'm not so keen on the way it is right in the middle of tower bridge as for me the bridge distracts from the sculpture.

Mineral - Good choice to photograph it on the shirt.

Mineral, great shot I like the idea and very well executed, particularly like the colours you have brought out in the opal.

Very nice contrasting textures although the shirt does remind more of a deck chair material.(y)
Thank you!

Nice detail in the shirt and the metal on the cufflinks. Not sure what a mineraloid is, but I bet they are made of minerals.
Thanks Clive!

nice take on a tricky theme. i like the background too, gives it a nice feel.
Thank you!

Smooth - Great perspective and it looks very smooth. Is this a permanent piece? I'm coming to London in March, would be great to see this:)
Thank you Georgina! It is a permanent piece, but it may look a bit disappointing in real life...

I thought I'd commented on this before now but it seems not. It's a nicely detailed photo and sharp throughout, I've never tried lighting an opal but I wonder if you could have made it glow a bit more?
Cheers Chris. I've tried, but I didn't manage to make the Opal shine a bit more while avoiding blown out highlights on the metal.

Smooth - I like the low POV, the wet and shiny floor and the contrast between the moving/blurred people and the sharp/static full stop. I'm not so keen on the way it is right in the middle of tower bridge as for me the bridge distracts from the sculpture.

Mineral - Good choice to photograph it on the shirt.
Thanks Steve!

Mineral, great shot I like the idea and very well executed, particularly like the colours you have brought out in the opal.
Thank you Roger!

Back