weekly Bernd's 52 in 2018 - week 21/22: hard/creatures

Catching up on my comments rota so you get more than one,

Heavy - Good choice of subject and pov to get the shine on the sculpture - well on theme.
Wet - Oddly I put a camera in a washing machine last year for one shot - I chickened out before a full cycle - but that was a P&S Canon in an 'Overboard' bag and only had 10 second delay and not time lapse. Brave shot even with a GoPro - think I like it better than the re-shoot
Juxtaposition - Excellent comment shot. Well observed.

Nice shots. Your door for juxtaposition hihi hard

Brrnd totally lost here could have sworn blind that I had commented on your Abundance and Heavy theme, going to spend time over weekend writing all 52's names in excel for some kind of rota, but anyway Abundance is brilliant, cant explain but think its DOF? makes the sweets and the scoop stand out.

Heavy is also superb, the chap walking by seems small which makes the statue seem even larger, love to know how you do it.

Wet had to google what a gopro, was very brave.

Juxta not to sure about chaps motion blur, I take it that was what you wanted with slow SS,

Reshoot, had an idea to do something similar, a nice simple shot that works well.

Walter.

Hi Brrnd,

Wet - We've not had a washing machine shot for some time. It's come out really well considering how little control you must have had. As Allan says, brave too (I bet you were guarding the power switch !)

Juxtaposition - A sad indictment of society, and not something that's going to go away any time soon. It's as bad now (if not worse) than in the bad old days of the late 80's / early 90's.
Well captured, with the motion blur of the chap walking past adding to the story of society ignoring the less well placed. :clap:

Re-shoot : Wet - I prefer your original tbh. Not much going on here and soft in the wrong places :/ sorry.

Both of those shots are spot on for their respective themes, Bernd. Juxtaposition sums up neatly the contrast between the haves and the have-nots and shows the grim reality of live on the streets in all weathers.
The re-shoot for Wet looks as though it was taken in the same area and certainly looks like a soggy day. I do like all the verticals throughout the frame, from the signpost to the pillars, the man and the window frames (y)

alway like a bit of street .... that Wet shot is fabulous ... besuited gent with brolly looks miniature alongside city architecture. :clap:

Juxta shot is great compo, but the horizontals need sorting.....
Thank you Mark!

Catching up on my comments rota so you get more than one,

Heavy - Good choice of subject and pov to get the shine on the sculpture - well on theme.
Wet - Oddly I put a camera in a washing machine last year for one shot - I chickened out before a full cycle - but that was a P&S Canon in an 'Overboard' bag and only had 10 second delay and not time lapse. Brave shot even with a GoPro - think I like it better than the re-shoot
Juxtaposition - Excellent comment shot. Well observed.
Thanks David!

Nice shots. Your door for juxtaposition hihi hard
Thanks for commenting!

Powerful shot for juxtaposition. Though maybe shot head on to get those horizontal straight would be nice.
Thank you Ross!

Brrnd totally lost here could have sworn blind that I had commented on your Abundance and Heavy theme, going to spend time over weekend writing all 52's names in excel for some kind of rota, but anyway Abundance is brilliant, cant explain but think its DOF? makes the sweets and the scoop stand out.

Heavy is also superb, the chap walking by seems small which makes the statue seem even larger, love to know how you do it.

Wet had to google what a gopro, was very brave.

Juxta not to sure about chaps motion blur, I take it that was what you wanted with slow SS,

Reshoot, had an idea to do something similar, a nice simple shot that works well.
Thanks Walter!

Wet

I nice idea and abstracty (probably not a real word).
Thank you Dominic!

Hi Brrnd,

Wet - We've not had a washing machine shot for some time. It's come out really well considering how little control you must have had. As Allan says, brave too (I bet you were guarding the power switch !)

Juxtaposition - A sad indictment of society, and not something that's going to go away any time soon. It's as bad now (if not worse) than in the bad old days of the late 80's / early 90's.
Well captured, with the motion blur of the chap walking past adding to the story of society ignoring the less well placed. :clap:

Re-shoot : Wet - I prefer your original tbh. Not much going on here and soft in the wrong places :/ sorry.
Thank you Tim!

Both of those shots are spot on for their respective themes, Bernd. Juxtaposition sums up neatly the contrast between the haves and the have-nots and shows the grim reality of live on the streets in all weathers.
The re-shoot for Wet looks as though it was taken in the same area and certainly looks like a soggy day. I do like all the verticals throughout the frame, from the signpost to the pillars, the man and the window frames (y)
Thanks Andrea!

alway like a bit of street .... that Wet shot is fabulous ... besuited gent with brolly looks miniature alongside city architecture. :clap:
Thank you David!

Week 13, a quarter of the year done... I haven't looked at anybody's photos yet, so I don't know how many egg shots there will be.

Before anyone complains that my white balance is off, I meant to get white egg, but unfortunately I got blue eggs (I didn't even know that such a thing existed). I chose the white balance such that the egg is white, but of course that gives the shadows a slightly red tinge...

week 13: oval
by Bernd, on Flickr

When I first saw it I thought "I haven't seen a white egg in decades" but now I know ;). Well lit and I like the "impossible" angle, very eye-catching

Cool lighting (y)
Thank you David!

I took it as an artistic choice, not a balance issue.
Very nicely taken.
Thanks Tim!

When I first saw it I thought "I haven't seen a white egg in decades" but now I know ;). Well lit and I like the "impossible" angle, very eye-catching
Thank you Chris!

Nice BG colour like mine, really do like it (y)
Cheers Dave!

Thats excellent, nice work (y)
Thank you Allan!

Oval: like this cause it has me mystified again. brilliant shot.
Thanks Walter!

Lovely, works very well. I have an egg shot too, though a bit differently shot.

“Oval” is bang on theme Sir, well lit & exposed, and nicely presented.(y)

George

Wet - Nice original idea nicely done

Juxtaposition powerful image and bang on theme nicely seen

Wet Re-shoot - I like that nice bit of street work

Oval - Really like that nice simple image great shadow

Bernd

Oval - egg, nice shot, not worried about the colour cast, it's cool. Lots of detail in the egg shell. good shot.

Pete

Oval

It's a bit different being on the wonk, it adds a bit of intrest.
Why not leave the egg blue, I think it would have added to the shot.

“Oval” is bang on theme Sir, well lit & exposed, and nicely presented.(y)
Thank you Sir :)

Juxtaposition; very strong image and bang on theme.

Wet reshoot; Looks like its very wet but would like to see some traces of rain.

Oval; a conventional object for an oval. I quite like the strong shadow, very simple and very apt. I'm sure some duck eggs are the blueish colour.
Thanks Stan!

Wet - Nice original idea nicely done

Juxtaposition powerful image and bang on theme nicely seen

Wet Re-shoot - I like that nice bit of street work

Oval - Really like that nice simple image great shadow
Thank you Mark!

Oval - egg, nice shot, not worried about the colour cast, it's cool. Lots of detail in the egg shell. good shot.
Cheers Pete!

You've got that egg at a great angle - is that a spot of Blu-tac under the point or a hard shadow? The colour balance isn't an issue at all because you've got the white egg you were aiming for and the resulting background is unusual. Nicely done (y)
Thank you Andrea! That's a hard shadow, the Blu-tac isn't visible in the photo :)

Oval

It's a bit different being on the wonk, it adds a bit of intrest.
Why not leave the egg blue, I think it would have added to the shot.
Thanks Dominic! I've tried leaving the white balance as shot, believe me it doesn't look good...

Oval - Im surprised noone has said this is egg-celent yet. [emoji6] Nice shot. I like the 'upside down' look of the egg and for me the colour tint on the background is cool.
Thank you Ross!

Juxtapositon - right on theme good street shot
Oval - super image I really like that. a blue egg where did you get them? and what bird were they from?

Juxtapositon - right on theme good street shot
Oval - super image I really like that. a blue egg where did you get them? and what bird were they from?
Thank you Alison! The eggs were chicken's eggs, I got them in my local supermarket!

Juxtaposition - a great image for the theme, and sadly all to common a site in the big towns and cities. There is not much more that i can add that hasn't been said already, the re shoot of wet is ok but much prefer the original image.
Oval - works for me, I even dont mind the bg colour though maybe slightly softer shadows would work better :thinking:

Hi Bernd,

Wet - Hope your GoPro survived! I presume it was in a rubberised container. Interesting to see what goes on it there.
Juxtaposition - Great but sad social comment
Oval - Love the colour it worked out really well

:D

Hi Bernd, your egg shot works really well, not easy to get it right with so much white, a brave choice in the white background.
Juxtaposition, perfect subject and composition for the theme, definitely one of the best for the weeks topic.
Thank you Susie!

Juxtaposition - a great image for the theme, and sadly all to common a site in the big towns and cities. There is not much more that i can add that hasn't been said already, the re shoot of wet is ok but much prefer the original image.
Oval - works for me, I even dont mind the bg colour though maybe slightly softer shadows would work better :thinking:
Thanks Mandy!

Wet - Hope your GoPro survived! I presume it was in a rubberised container. Interesting to see what goes on it there.
Juxtaposition - Great but sad social comment
Oval - Love the colour it worked out really well
Thank you Georgina!

Straight nice mage for the theme I like the B&W conversion it seems to highlight the straight lines a little more.

Love this building. The national theatre isnt it. Worked there for like 6 months. Great shot.

Ps. Your link on the 52 page links to Flickr and not to here....
Thank you Ross! It is indeed the NT. Flickr link seems to work now?

Straight indeed not a curve in it nice idea for the theme
Thank you Allan!

Straight nice mage for the theme I like the B&W conversion it seems to highlight the straight lines a little more.
Thanks Mark!

Good take, well seen and suits the mono. You could reuse that for unattractive :)

Back