weekly Bernd's 52 in 2018 - week 21/22: hard/creatures

Age(ing) - I'm not sure it works for me not sure what it is meant to be either :thinking:.

Sharp - now this I do like, simple but yet effective and lovely lighting just highlighting the " Sharp " blade of the knife.
Thank you Mandy!

I didnt really like Sharp initially, but Ive spent some time looking at it now, and I actually really like it. Its not an immediate shot, so you have to work it and thats good photography to me.

Ddint get ageing, thought it was frost on the car....

Age - Don't like the cheese, but the image is interesting.

Sharp - excellant Image - you know it's sharp. Good lighting on the edge.

Pete

I didnt really like Sharp initially, but Ive spent some time looking at it now, and I actually really like it. Its not an immediate shot, so you have to work it and thats good photography to me.

Ddint get ageing, thought it was frost on the car....
Thank you Mark!

Age - Ah, in mono I thought this was "Ice Age". Well, it's different ;)
Sharp - Another interestingly thought out and taken image. Feels the stronger of the two images to me (y)
Thanks Tim!

Sharp - Excellent shot, certainly ticks the box for me.
Thank you!

Age - Don't like the cheese, but the image is interesting.

Sharp - excellant Image - you know it's sharp. Good lighting on the edge.
Thanks Pete!

Selective colour not something I would usually like but I feel in this it works because of the crowd it helps the guardsman stand out

I like this. Have thought about the same concept for a few of my weekly entries.
Some Don't like it, but I like to see creative processing sometimes.

Nicely done for me

I like selective colour but find the blue in the rucksack of the girl in the foreground really distracting.

Selective colour not something I would usually like but I feel in this it works because of the crowd it helps the guardsman stand out

Plus one B, not usuallly a fan of spot colour, but in this instance it works well...

Thank you Allan!

Well, I suppose it isn't a single colour spot colour bernd...
But sorry, not for me.
Still, it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things.
Thank you Tim! I don't like selective colouring either, I think it looks a bit naff, but what better place to experiment than here? :)

I like this. Have thought about the same concept for a few of my weekly entries.
Some Don't like it, but I like to see creative processing sometimes.

Nicely done for me
Thanks Ian!

I am not a great fan of selective colour, but I do like this one as the main focus point stands out nicely so well done.
Cheers Dave!

Guard theme. very much like this selective colour shot Bernd. maybe that's because I love London.
Thanks Walter!

I like selective colour but find the blue in the rucksack of the girl in the foreground really distracting.
Thank you Roger!

Plus one B, not usuallly a fan of spot colour, but in this instance it works well...
Thanks Mark!

I'm probably nit picking but the horse seems to have some colour but the guardsman's face doesn't. For me it needs to be just the red coat or the whole horse and guardsman

Selective colour was fab ten years ago, or I thought so! And I can see why you used it here Bern, and no doubt the responses are as predicted.
I've invented a technique:cool: where you have two identical layers: desaturate the bottom layer and maybe up the saturation of the top layer a tad. Then, with a soft edged eraser, go over all the prominent coloured objects, like for example the FG blue rucksack, leaving everything in colour but muted, the subject being the only bright colour.

Anyway, nice bit of London street. (y)

I like Guard Bernd, love the selective colour, not something you see so much of nowadays!

I like this but then I do like selective colour images it really helps the guard stand out

Guard(ed) - a very nice take on the theme and I like that you chose the selective colour for this image. Like the others have said it helps make the Guard stand out from the crowd, I feel he would of gotten lost in the image if you weren't able to isolate him.

im all for selective colour, the Guard really stands out, however i feel the tinge in the horse does detract from the impact of the red.

Selective colour works well on this one Bernd.Sign makes me chuckle
Thanks Pete! Kicking and biting is what horses do :)

I'm probably nit picking but the horse seems to have some colour but the guardsman's face doesn't. For me it needs to be just the red coat or the whole horse and guardsman
Thank you Chris!

Selective colouring is like Marmite, some like it and some don't but in this case I quite like this one. However, I'm not too keen on the horse being coloured too would prefer to see only the guard with colour.
Cheers Stan!

Selective colour was fab ten years ago, or I thought so! And I can see why you used it here Bern, and no doubt the responses are as predicted.
I've invented a technique:cool: where you have two identical layers: desaturate the bottom layer and maybe up the saturation of the top layer a tad. Then, with a soft edged eraser, go over all the prominent coloured objects, like for example the FG blue rucksack, leaving everything in colour but muted, the subject being the only bright colour.
Thank you David! I will try out your technique!

I like Guard Bernd, love the selective colour, not something you see so much of nowadays!
Thanks Daniel!

Good use of the selective colour there Bernd, I would have left the bits on the horse in b+w.
Thank you Michael!

I like this but then I do like selective colour images it really helps the guard stand out
Cheers Mark!

Guard(ed) - a very nice take on the theme and I like that you chose the selective colour for this image. Like the others have said it helps make the Guard stand out from the crowd, I feel he would of gotten lost in the image if you weren't able to isolate him.
Thank you Mandy!

im all for selective colour, the Guard really stands out, however i feel the tinge in the horse does detract from the impact of the red.
Thanks Frank!

Thanks Pete! Kicking and biting is what horses do :)

It was the "Thank You" on the bottom.

Any way
Thick - very nice image, nice and sharp, pleasing colours and minimal background and the gloss on the bottle. Well done.

Pete

Thick. Another superb shot Bernd, like the way you can actually see the thickness of the smoothie with the air bubbles at top.

Walter

Nice shot Bernd. I like the off centre position. Doesn't really say thick to me though, but maybe it was:)

Age - Aah its cheese it certainly had me wondering I had thought maybe it was ice on a rock for Ice Age maybe I just have snow on the brain
Sharp - Great Image.you have really caught the edge of the blade there
Guard - he certainly stands out from the crowd.
Thick - Simple (looking) and effective

very good indeed straw is standing up in it so it must be thick, a nice subtle hint there

Thick - very nice image, nice and sharp, pleasing colours and minimal background and the gloss on the bottle. Well done.
Thank you Pete!

Thick. Another superb shot Bernd, like the way you can actually see the thickness of the smoothie with the air bubbles at top.
Thanks Walter!

Nice idea for Thick. Simple and minimalistic with no distractions. You've done well, any reflective surface like bottles, glasses are not easy to take photos of.
Thanks Stan!

Nicely done Bernd. Nothing really to add to the other comments, it's an excellent, simple looking (but not necessarily so) shot that's well executed. (y)
Cheers Tim!

Nice shot Bernd. I like the off centre position. Doesn't really say thick to me though, but maybe it was:)
Thanks John!

Age - Aah its cheese it certainly had me wondering I had thought maybe it was ice on a rock for Ice Age maybe I just have snow on the brain
Sharp - Great Image.you have really caught the edge of the blade there
Guard - he certainly stands out from the crowd.
Thick - Simple (looking) and effective
Thank you!

very good indeed straw is standing up in it so it must be thick, a nice subtle hint there
Thanks Allan! That's what I hoped, but it wasn't that thick, so I had to use toothpicks to keep the straw upright :)

Very good 'Thick' entry Bernd. As others have said, I like the fact that you can see the thickness of the smoothie. Good composition too

"Guard" & "Thick" shots both work for me Sir, particularly liking your interpretation with the guard shot.(y)

George.

Hi Bernd, oh dear so far behind on commenting again, will have to try harder as its taking too long to get round to everyone!

Over - Good idea and I like the letterbox style and the B&W but for some reason I find the lamppost quite annoying :cautious:
Age - After reading a few comments I realised this was cheese but I actually thought it was melting ice, so was thinking ice age :D So have to say its abstract :naughty:
Sharp - excellent, love the light just hitting the edge of the blade
Guard - I think just picking the guard out in red works very well. He could easily have got a little lost among the other people
Thick - Lovely colours and composition. You have made a very simple looking image but I'm sure it wasn't simple to do, very clever

:D

Back