weekly Bernd's 52 in 2020 - massive catch-up until week 20

Name
Bernd
Edit My Images
Yes
Here we go again. I solemnly promise not to give up before it's time to give up.

In my nearly 20 years as a Londoner I've seen a great many of parades but not once the London New Year's Day Parade. Mainly because I was nursing my hangover from the Old Year. But not so this year: I got myself to this local attraction, waited for the weekly theme to be announced and shot some snaps.

Highly recommended if you're into stationary crowds and marching bands.

Nice image, great use of bokeh to isolate the 1 player and the colours and light sre really nice.

The out of focus musician, looking directly at the camera is a great touch too.

Great photo all round.

Interesting, I'd not heard of the London New Years Day Parade before until one of my cosplay tog mates posted some photos yesterday evening.
And then you post some today !

Cool bit of close up and personal with the action :)

The out of focus musician, looking directly at the camera is a great touch too.

Great photo all round.
Thanks David!

Welcome back, Bernd! This is great; I love the bright tones of the instruments and the trim on the uniforms, the sideways glance of the lad in the background, and especially the shallow DOF (y)
Thank you Andrea!

Good shot Bernd, great and thoughtful look on the young lads face. My only nit pic is the bit of trumpet near his fingers is blown but still a great shot.
Cheers Dave, I see what you mean and now I can't unsee it. Back to post-processing then... :)

Interesting, I'd not heard of the London New Years Day Parade before until one of my cosplay tog mates posted some photos yesterday evening.
And then you post some today !

Cool bit of close up and personal with the action :)
Thank you Tim, as parades go it is a pretty good one.

Fab shot - and jkust love that glance top left :)

Great shot and dof, the trumpet in front nicely framing the shot and drawing your eye to the main subject.
And also great that you had your camera poised waiting for the theme to be announced ;)

Very good shot, interesting take on the theme. :)

Great use of DoF and as others have said, the colours are tremendous....love those bright tones of the brass!
A nicely caught moment - the sideways glance of the musician on the left...classic!
I do like the close, intimate feel too...feels like I'm stood right there!
Excellent work Bernd!:clap:

Local interest
I like the focus on one musician, but I'm not too sure about the blurry trumpet (?) In the foreground.

Thank you for all your comments!

Great use of DoF it really focuses you on the lad in the center the colours work well too

I really llke this shot Bernd. Nice shallow DoF to isolate the subject in question but just enough to capture the other musician looking straight at you. As has been said, the highlights are a bit on the lively side.

Really like this image. I wonder if a tighter crop would make stronger but then does it take away the story telling element of the image? I suppose it one of those images that can work in lots of different ways which is a good thing

Thank you all for your comments!

I'm a bit busy at work at the moment, but I will comment soon. Maybe on the weekend...

I don't thing Soho is the go-to spot for men who seek a certain kind of pleasure as much as at used to be, but there are still "massage parlours" and of course the original adult store...

LOL great idea Bernd.
I like the way there are lots of guys around, But all avoiding the entrance.

They were all probably worried that the man with the camera, was some sort of private detective (private dick) hired by their other half.

Bang on theme! Obviously. All the guys pretending that they haven't seen the shop? Except the one looking at Google Maps: "Your destination is on your left."

Don't think it's the kind of shot that could be planned. I like it - the fact that it is all blokes, some with cases but all looking shifty!! Well spotted!

The Guy at the corner of the shop appears to have spotted you and looks worried although on closer inspection I think he is just on the phone

Definitely fits the theme. They do look like they've just done a major shop...

Superb street photo. What did those guys fill their cases with? :LOL:

Great Photo Brrnd,

made me chuckle with the way the men are looking away from the shop. Maybe too much detail in the windows;);)

Pete

Great idea for the pleasure shot, a good bit of street photography. Going down the smoke in a few weeks, might just pop round there to have a look :)

Good idea for Pleasure fits the theme well but I do agree it feels a bit like a grab shot

Thank you for your comments!

I didn't want to linger with a camera in front of a sex shop! That might have hurt their business or I might be beaten up (it's Soho after all). So I took three quick shots from the hip on the articulating screen and walked on.

And no, the guys with the cases walked past the shop, they didn't go in for a big shop :)

Back