Best event you've been to, photography media set-up wise?

Edit My Images
Yes
As I've just returned from covering an event where the set-up for photographers was one of the best I've experienced.
Thought to ask (as we always like to moan about things going wrong) what is the best event you've covered, where the organisers have got things right..
From picking up accreditation, to work stations, photo positions.. etc.
Just thought that we could spread some seasonal joy and love towards the organisers of events we've covered :)

The event where I've just gotten back from, the IFF WFC2018 (Floorball World Championships in Prague, Czech Republic) :
- Picking up accreditation : Right outside the O2 Arena in Prague, well sign posted - accreditation found straight away with your name.
- Media Entry : Quick scan of bags - Photo Working Room clearly pointed too.
- Photo room : Plenty of space (for most, your own slot.. that you pretty much kept the whole 9 days..#PickYourSpotWellOnDayOne , wired internet, drinks (water or Red Bull), food (sandwiches, fruits, etc), stat sheets provided, line-ups as well.
- Access to court side : 30 second walk from Photo Room .. chairs (plenty of them), low led boards (THANK YOU!!), enough space to get different angles from the game.
- Post Final : Access to locker rooms organised, access to players, team photos.. all done to the T.
- TV cameras DID NOT!!! stand in front of photographers, so we all got a clear shot of the lifting of the trophy. I know.. incredible :)

- If there ever was any issues, the Media/Photo manager was at hand to deal with them..

Really was so pleasantly surprised with everything at this event - and so were other photographers.

It was just nice to be at an event where photographers were actually treated really well, and got all they could have wished for.

So, what about you?? Any event that you've been to that has brightened your day, and made your work that little bit easier?

Nice way to end 2018 - tournament wise - with a really positive experience at a bigger event.

Doesn't get much better than Wimbledon in my experience.
The photographers have their own room with individual, lockable, cubicles plus lockers for overnight storage. Both Canon and Nikon are in the same room with repair and loan facilities.
The catering is great, too, with a daily amount for food and drink loaded onto a scanable card. Everything is run by a team of top sports togs, who really know their stuff and how everything should work.
There are lots of rules that have to be adhered to re access to courtside etc but that's to be expected given the scale and nature of the event. There's lots of other nice touches, too, including a fabulous Domke vest that you get to keep.

Doesn't get much better than Wimbledon in my experience.
The photographers have their own room with individual, lockable, cubicles plus lockers for overnight storage. Both Canon and Nikon are in the same room with repair and loan facilities.
The catering is great, too, with a daily amount for food and drink loaded onto a scanable card. Everything is run by a team of top sports togs, who really know their stuff and how everything should work.
There are lots of rules that have to be adhered to re access to courtside etc but that's to be expected given the scale and nature of the event. There's lots of other nice touches, too, including a fabulous Domke vest that you get to keep.
Think you have made this sound like an event like most of us only dream about, just once for the experience would suit most of us i expect. Yes heard alot about the Domke vest, i know quite a few birdwatchers/wildlife photographers have got them for carrying camera gear abroad aircraft so not having to worry about the hand luggage weight or sticking it in the hold. Just a pity the importers who used to sell the full range of sizes have stopped selling them.

Think you have made this sound like an event like most of us only dream about, just once for the experience would suit most of us i expect. Yes heard alot about the Domke vest, i know quite a few birdwatchers/wildlife photographers have got them for carrying camera gear abroad aircraft so not having to worry about the hand luggage weight or sticking it in the hold. Just a pity the importers who used to sell the full range of sizes have stopped selling them.
Wimblwdon is a great experience but, trust me, 14 straight twelve hour days of shooting and editing makes it hard work! The Domke vests are wonderful and have pockets big enough to drop a pro-body or even a 70-200. Don't use it too often but I ended up covering the Wimbledon logo because it looked a bit flash. I lent it to a mate of mine who covered a Lions tour of NZ when he was worried about getting his stuff onto flights.

Back