Beginner Best image sizes

What are the best image sizes to use when printing large? Im getting a little confused working out the aspect and whether the photo will be cropped or not?

Well I think the aspect ratio should be chosen by you to suit the particular image best. Then the size is dictated by what you want to do with it, plus technical issues such as the pixels you have to play with (at say 300 dpi at the printer). Although you can get perfectly fine prints at less than 300 dpi, eg canvas etc.

Reactions: Nod
If your camera shoots 3:2 aspect ratio, then those will print at 6x4, 12x8 or 24x16 inches without any need to crop.
If it shoots 4:3 aspect ratio, then those will print at 8x6 or 16x12 inches without any need to to crop.

It will say in your camera manual whether it's 3:2 or 4:3; or post your camera model here and I'm sure someone will know.

Reactions: Nod
What's already been said, basically! Unless you print at home on A series paper sizes, in which case either crop the original to suit those sizes (1:1.41 is close enough, or use the exact paper dimensions as stated on the packaging) or calculate the biggest size that'll fit the paper you're using. I usually crop to fit the paper I'm using unless I'm aiming for a specific frame/mount.

The 'best' depends on what the intended usage is. Big prints are great until you realise you have more printed matter than wall space. Big frames and mounts can be costly if you go down that route, and if you're buying ready made frames, they don't always necessarily correspond to common print sizes, so it's best to start with the end in mind and work backwards from there.

What's already been said, basically! Unless you print at home on A series paper sizes, in which case either crop the original to suit those sizes (1:1.41 is close enough, or use the exact paper dimensions as stated on the packaging) or calculate the biggest size that'll fit the paper you're using. I usually crop to fit the paper I'm using unless I'm aiming for a specific frame/mount.

I'm still using Aperture, and when printing it has quite a nice feature where I can crop to the proportions I like (eg 8*10), click command-P, choose the paper size (eg A4), and the choose maximum to fit (need to uncheck a box or it crops it to A4 proportions which I usually don't want). Seems to work quite well...

If your camera shoots 3:2 aspect ratio, then those will print at 6x4, 12x8 or 24x16 inches without any need to crop.
If it shoots 4:3 aspect ratio, then those will print at 8x6 or 16x12 inches without any need to to crop.

It will say in your camera manual whether it's 3:2 or 4:3; or post your camera model here and I'm sure someone will know.

This. Adding the fact that full frame and APSC cameras generally shoot with a 3:2 aspect, and most micro four thirds cameras have a... 4:3 aspect ratio.
Not sure what happens when you shoot JPEG with a "style" like 1:1 or 16:9 (if your camera does that). I know raw files stay at the native sensor aspect.

I'm still using Aperture, and when printing it has quite a nice feature where I can crop to the proportions I like (eg 8*10), click command-P, choose the paper size (eg A4), and the choose maximum to fit (need to uncheck a box or it crops it to A4 proportions which I usually don't want). Seems to work quite well...

I tend to do much the same in PSE.

Back