Best moon photo taken with an old Pentax Ist 6mp!!

I'm only looking on my phone but that's far more detailed than any of my moon shots.
What lens did you use?

You tell me

Taken with a £100 Nikon V1, (bought used) + 300mm lens + TC20Ell at f8 - similar pixels

V1_5.jpg

Last edited:
Yes taken on the 8" telescope I think so equivalent lens of 1200mm

Iso 800 and 125th second

Mj

I think that the V1 shot was the equivalent of 1620mm - (300 x 2 x 2.7)

A pretty detailed shot with it too.

I struggle to repeat that level of detail with the OM e m 10 (wish they would call it a name ether than a string of letters and numbers)

Mj

Great detail .... I would say

As said the camera was an old Pentax Isl d, with 6mp sensor.

Telescope was an 8" Skywatchers with an eq3 mount.
Mj

I never tire of viewing the moon , its amazing , your images are very good well done

Just looking at getting a V1 and FT1 adapter - how do you find AF? Is it still quite quick or does it hunt a lot?

Only really want it for moon shots and maybe a little wildlife.

Just looking at getting a V1 and FT1 adapter - how do you find AF? Is it still quite quick or does it hunt a lot?

Only really want it for moon shots and maybe a little wildlife.

I use the V1 + FT-1 + 400mm f4 for Dragonflies and it is good for that and the AF is quick

I have tried taking bird shots with the 300mm and 600mm the V1 hunts quite a lot and can be frustrating - even though you do not "loose light" you need good light for the AF

with moon shots - obviously it is the lens that counts and many people use manual focus and then check with the focus confirm - it is a stationery subject, (the moon), so no problem

when I took the moon shots I also took a shot with the D700 and D7100 + the 300mm at f8 with the x 2 TC

the V1 image was "as good" as the other two

there is a V1 images thread with lots of examples and comments

D7100_moon-2.jpg

D700a_moon.jpg

Last edited:
Stunning Images, so detailed I love them.

When I get a new camera will need to give this a try :)

Back