Best place for LR presets?

JJ!

Edit My Images
No
Trying to do some different edits on my photos and I just can’t seem to nail a decent look.

Is there such a thing as decent free presets or some that are low end budget?

Equestrian portraits mainly (sometimes with owners included)

I've tried quite a lot of downloaded presets, but I find there's often little consistency.

Recently, I quite like the LR built in 'flat' preset and working from there. I've often battled between editing the photo to be technically correct (if that's the right way to put it) or creating a 'look' of my own. I've come to the conclusion that the latter will require me to commit quite a bit of time and effort to really learn about colour etc.

Trying to do some different edits on my photos and I just can’t seem to nail a decent look.

Is there such a thing as decent free presets or some that are low end budget?

Equestrian portraits mainly (sometimes with owners included)

The internet is awash with LR presets, and most of them are complete garbage. I've bought packs in the past but found I never use them. It really is better to develop your own and just experiment. Maybe if you could post a few of your images on here and explain what you think is wrong with them people may be able to suggest some improvements you could make?

One thing I am interested in, and keep talking myself out of, is the RNI All Films 5 pack. These are profiles rather than presets, so they leave your sliders completely untouched, and emulate various film stocks. I've downloaded the free demo and like the output, I just can't justify the cost to myself.

How do you want your images to look? Just loading dozens of pre-sets and randomly trying them seems a hit and miss approach. If you can decide what you want, you may be able to create your own pre-set. In general each of my images are individually edited to suit. You probably realise that the Raw files are rendered using a colour profile which you can choose. This used to be in the calibration area but are now near the top of the Basic panel in Development. These profiles usually mimicked the camera styles but there are others. I created my own bespoke profiles based on camera calibration. In a recent LR update this arrangement changed and I now have produced a pre-set for each of my cameras which achieves this. The preset is automatically applied based on LR recognising each camera by model and serial number during import. So I know my images are likely to be accurate in colour before I mess with them.

Dave

Thank you. I will have a play and see what I can come up with looks wise. What I want is a question I wish I knew! I think portraits that really pop and show the horse and owners well. Maybe I should experiment and post a few results for opinions!

Thank you. I will have a play and see what I can come up with looks wise. What I want is a question I wish I knew! I think portraits that really pop and show the horse and owners well. Maybe I should experiment and post a few results for opinions!

What I like to do sometimes is find a preset which I like the look of with a particular image I've taken, then have a look at all the sliders, curves, colours etc to see what was done to get there. Some great YouTube videos around as well, especially for colour grading (which tend to include all the exposure stuff as well).

This one I really enjoyed and found myself half way through thinking oh no, I don't like that. But as you close to the end it all starts to work. Some very talented people out there!

Back