Best place to buy Canon ink for an A4 printer.

Name
Linda
Edit My Images
No
Hi. I have bought a small Canon printer - MG6851 - for small prints. I get bigger ones done by a friend who has a huge Canon printer [having jumped ship from an Epson]. Anyway, I am looking ahead to when I need to replace the cartridges. I already have a spare but have found so many sites I wondered if you had a recommendations. I am wary of using non Canon inks as I don't have the know how to undo any problems that would cause to the printer heads.

Any recommendations would be most welcome.

Thanks

Not in my experience. Blocked heads are a reality, as are poor colours and fast fading. Canons aren't as prone to blocked jets as Epsons (even using genuine inks) but they do still suffer from them.

I normally get my (genuine) inks from 7dayshop.

On the rare occasions that I actually run out of stock of ink, I'll get them from Premier too - they deliver faster than 7dayshop! Not hugely more expensive than 7day either but it adds up when you order 10+ carts at a time!

Hi, JMO here but the main reason I beleive behind print heads glogging up is lack of use more than to this ink or that ink. A printer should be run at least every 48 hrs or so and glogging will in 99% of times not happen. You don't need to use the Epson,Canon or what ever printer you have in built system for nozzle checks as that it most cases uses ink as though there is no tomorrow. I use Qimage Ultimate for printing and that has an unglog recipe built in that you can set to run for what ever period you wish 24hrs, 36hrs the choice is yours it does not use as much ink as the built in printer cleaning options before that I Typed out a half page letter of random letters and numbers in differant colours and just printed every 48hrs or so again no cleaning cycle required as no blocked heads.

Last edited:
In my experience, head clogging is down to a combination of frequency of use and ink.
If (like me) you use an inkjet sporadically - sometimes going a couple of weeks (or longer) between printing things, then it does seem to be a case that the manufacturers inks are less prone to clogging and blocking heads, and if they do block, will clear more reliably using a nozzle cleaning routine.

If you print frequently (every day or two) then the inks never get a chance to dry up on the heads, and you can take advantage of the savings to be made using 3rd party ink cartridges.

Hi, JMO here but the main reason I beleive behind print heads glogging up is lack of use more than to this ink or that ink. A printer should be run at least every 48 hrs or so and glogging will in 99% of times not happen. You don't need to use the Epson,Canon or what ever printer you have in built system for nozzle checks as that it most cases uses ink as though there is no tomorrow. I use Qimage Ultimate for printing and that has an unglog recipe built in that you can set to run for what ever period you wish 24hrs, 36hrs the choice is yours it does not use as much ink as the built in printer cleaning options before that I Typed out a half page letter of random letters and numbers in differant colours and just printed every 48hrs or so again no cleaning cycle required as no blocked heads.
70 dollars expensive for qimage is it worth the cost

I too use premier ink, as they are 5 minutes from home, but unfortunately it seems that the camera side of things is bring wrapped up and being replaced with wool and knitting...

I too use premier ink, as they are 5 minutes from home, but unfortunately it seems that the camera side of things is bring wrapped up and being replaced with wool and knitting...

Are you sure? It looks like that when you visit, has done for ages, but I think it's a separate or parallel operation through the same door... their web site certainly says nothing about being wrapped up.

Are you sure? It looks like that when you visit, has done for ages, but I think it's a separate or parallel operation through the same door... their web site certainly says nothing about being wrapped up.

The last time I went in (which was fairly recently) most of the camera gear that they used to have in stock is no longer there.. Even the website doesn't have a tenth of the things you used to be able to buy..!

7dayshop as mentioned above. Every cart I bought always seemed completely genuine Canon, not a hooky copy.
Amazon does sometimes do the best price, but it's worth using a price watcher like camelcamelcamel and selecting sold by Amazon only (who knows what 3d party sellers are off loading?!?). You'll get an email alert when your desired price is reached and you can then put an order in.

^ These are the two I bounce between for my small electronic consumables and ink purchases.

Cartridgepeople look interesting, Jersey based.
Staples, surprisingly weren't that expensive.
Advantage-online maybe a little pricier than some.
inkfactory

As far as I can tell, Canon Chromalife100(+) ink doesn't have an expiry date. I doubt you'll see one on a package anywhere. I seem to recall emailing about older CLI-8 carts and they said they were fine as long as they were kept in the packaging, in a cool environment out of the light. Common sense stuff. So really, if you won't mind the outlay, you can always buy a couple of each cartridge and have a spare supply in the cupboard. The only annoyance with this approach being that the printer will inevitably fail at some point and you'll be sitting on a sizeable investment of now useless ink that won't fit a new printer model. Anyone want any CLI-8 carts by the way?

Don't buy ink in a supermarket or department store unless you enjoy a 10-30% markup! Online is the way to go.

Avoid Valueshop and all of it's linked names. It's gone bust essentially, just look into the accounting. Used to be fine years ago, but don't buy anything from them or subsidiaries unless you want to get rid of your money and don't like charities.

Back