Scotland Best time for camping in Scotland (Isle of Skye)

Name
Mariusz
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

i'm planning a trip to Scotland with a friend of mine. We are aiming for Isle of Sky, but will be also stopping in Highlands (Glencoe, etc) and we will be camping the whole week. I have heard that summer is a nightmare because of midges and mosquitoes, can someone therefore suggest a best time to go (i was personally thinking May).

Many thanks,

Mariusz

Early May is normally not too bad for midgies, after that and depending on weather then they really are a nightmare.
Weather will be a bigger challenge than midgies though, its very hit and miss up here although May tends to be one of the better months.
I'd opt for early May.

Early May is normally not too bad for midgies, after that and depending on weather then they really are a nightmare.
Weather will be a bigger challenge than midgies though, its very hit and miss up here although May tends to be one of the better months.
I'd opt for early May.

Thanks for the tip!

Bit tricky, Scottish weather is unpredictable. May and later in the year, around September - October, can be very good, but so can the summer months. There's a pretty good chance of rain at any time though, and the west coast generally gets more than the eastern parts of the country. You really just have to pick a time that suits you, and hope for the best!

I can't help with the midge issue. I know some people - including my in laws - find them a real problem but they don't seem to bother me, or my wife.

Were going to be going to Skye this year in our campervan, not sure what month so thanks for the tips guys, we were plagued with midges when we visited Arran a couple of months ago, but its just something you have to put up with

Fab shot Roger where did you stay we will be looking for a good campsite just been looking at your Skye photos look great

Last edited:
Have had temps in the 20's mayday week, equally the same week another year we had 7 days of rain, still stunning whatever

Just for the midges info, sorry its very hit and miss but if you google for midge protection and look for (i think) a johnssons product skin cream or something, (altho its not really a midge protection cream) then if you go in midge season you may have some extra protection..
Ps, really cant fault scotland for its real beauty...:D

Jan and Feb are my favourite times for camping. I get to go on my own :cool:

As already said - if winter camping isn't your thing then April / May are the better months. Nice and crisp, midgies yet to appear, great clear light and snow on the hills. October is good too. Midgies are all but away and the autumn colours are out with early high snow.

Hi,
I have some very good friends who live on Skye and I visit them at least once a year, I always avoid June, July and august as these seem to be the worst months for midges, as others have said the weather can be unpredictable at any time of year but when the light is right it is a beautiful place, I hope you enjoy your visit.

I'm afraid I can't agree with Graeme re the midges being dead and gone by September. I was back home in mid-late September last year, for a week's fishing, and I was eaten to the bone. They were flying piranha fish I think! :rage:

We have a saying that "The Aberdeenshire midges are huge but the Highland midges are massive, and the Skye midges carry the cattle off!" :help:

Last edited:
I use a repellant, "ULTRTHON Insect Repellant", which is 'tropical strength', and it works for me. (y) You can use 'Avon Skin So Soft', but you do smell a bit 'strange', and can get some funny looks!:exit:

I'm up there in April for a mini-moon between getting married and heading back to the sandpit and work.

I have never been to Skye but would guess whatever time of year, it's a beautiful place with changeable weather offering different opportunities.

I'm up there in April for a mini-moon between getting married and heading back to the sandpit and work.

I have never been to Skye but would guess whatever time of year, it's a beautiful place with changeable weather offering different opportunities.

When its poor visibility, howling wind and horizontal rain I can assure you there's nothing 'beautiful' about it :p

We always carry midge nets - there's always one in my camera bag. People may think you look daft (although only for the few seconds it takes for the midges to find them!) but it really helps when you're out taking photos and need to stay put. Many shops sell them, just roll up into a pocketable bag, and go over your head when you need them.

Best repellant we use (we have a house on Isle of Raasay just off Skye) is smidge. They also have a free app giving midge reports!!

I'd go mid May or late Sept for weather, although as every one knows, it can be very changeable.

The worst time for midges is early morning and evening, on a sunny day you'll be fine but if it's wet, still and overcast, watch out!!

Avon Skin Soft is great and it works ....

Holy thread revival ;)

Recommending an effective Midge repellent is akin to recommending an effective hangover remedy.

What works wonders for one person is totally useless for the next.

Avon Skin so Soft / Smidge / Jungle Formula / Deet based products / homeopathic remedies / putting nettles in your underpants / setting fire to your hair.

Some, all or none of the remedies work for some folk whilst some, all or none of them don't ;)

Most people who think they've found the answer probably don't realise that the midges don't fancy them anyway.

Have you seen the estimates for how much the Scottish Tourism Industry looses out on due to Midges ?

Trust me - if there was a reliable repellent - we'd all know about it.

Last edited:
Well, Phil, smidge is now generally accepted as being the best, and quite a few of us have done the bare arm test proving it's effectiveness on us...........perhaps it doesn't work on everyone but I'd certainly say it's better than nettles in your pants!!

I prefer early autumn (September-October) to visit the Isle of Skye. Well, it could rain any time of year. But midges are the most annoying in the summer months. One of my favourite places are the Fairy Pools, and in autumn they are especially charming.
For all the hiking and camping fans I would strongly recommend reading the Scottish Outdoor Access Code, especially if you choose wild camping option.

I use a repellant, "ULTRTHON Insect Repellant", which is 'tropical strength', and it works for me. (y) You can use 'Avon Skin So Soft', but you do smell a bit 'strange', and can get some funny looks!:exit:
I don't use it... but I still get funny looks... ;)

I cant help with the location never been there, but I'd suggest a mossie headnet and a large brim hat. Yes you look a bit like a cheap bee keeper, but it keep the little blighters off. I tend to wear longsleeves and even gloves. Horseflies LOVE me, they come for miles, ignore my mates and I'm covered in the little bas... Errr.. naughty flies. And I'm slightly allergic as well which makes it so much more fun for the horseflies.

Well it's been a BRILLIANT weekend on Skye, midges and tourists diminishing by the day, and the light is getting better all the time with the sun getting lower in the sky!!

George.

Have been to Skye various times during the seasons and I preferred it around Feb time. Driving conditions not great but the scenery was amazing.

RrQ6waz.jpg

Back