Best value for money down jacket

Edit My Images
Yes
I know its still technically summer but looking for some recommendations for best value for money down jacket. Will be used for landscape photography, with a bit of birding and dog walking thrown in. Won't be tested to extreme Arctic weather so ideally not looking to remortgage the house to get one

Check your local tk max I was luck enough to find a Patagonia down jacket for £100. They retail for about £250 usually. I've had a lot of decent jackets from years of snowboarding but this is by far the best it's awesome.

Google Patagonia warranty and you'll find stories of people returning jackets after 30 years and getting a free replacement. It might just be the last jacket I ever have to buy :)

Other than decathlon make some tidy jackets that won't brake the bank. Most decathlon own gear stiff is very good for the money and usually my first port of call for anything out doors.

Last edited:
They are not down but the snugpak jackets are all hard to beat and out performs any of the if named jackets I've bought eg - north face etc etc .

I bought one from Mountain Warehouse for an Iceland trip. Kept me plenty warm there and has been used a fair amount since. Probably not waterproof but I dare say that you could make it so.

I've got three down jackets (Alpkit and 2 Montanes) but my recommendation is a Montane Featherlite Down. Also I'd definitely buy a hooded jacket, it far outperforms any hat & neck gaiter combo if its windproof.

Its lightweight, small pack size and windproof, perfect for photography as its not huge to pack or carry and you can wear it on the move without overheating. It won't keep you alive in the Arctic however. I can squeeze it (large size) into an unoccupied space for DSLR and lens in the Lowepro 400AW pack

Down is lighter and can be compressed more than synthetic fibres, but is rendered useless if it get wets, so I also carry a waterproof shell in the hills.

I've had quite a few down jackets and for me the answer is most definitely: one that fits properly.

I wore a North Face up Kilimanjaro where it was -17 on top, I bought it because it was on offer but in action I would have much preferred one a little longer in the body. This is the reason I no longer buy NF kit as their cut is consistently short in the body (but the consistent sizing is good for those it does fit).

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm leaning more towards the Montane style over the Patagonia from the weight aspect

Patagonia do lighter weight models they also make down sweaters so you can put under an existing jacket if you start getting nippy.

I have some Patagonia gear and it's pretty nice but maybe expensive in comparison.

Still, TRY IT ON, try a few on, that will tell you.

Buffalo shirt, wear next to the skin, keeps you warm even when soaked.

Sorry, that may be too technical for your needs, agree with Robert, you can pick up a bargain in tk maxx

I've had good winter jackets from lands end. They rate coats by warmth rating on there website. They do down coats, and are worth a look especially we they have sales on.

Big fan of the haglofs LIM range, ridiculously light, packs into themselves and warm, quite expensive but you can very often find them half off with a bit of looking. Also another vouch for patagonia.

Another vote for Montane Featherlite. I got mine from Go Outdoors for £135.

I had a NF Nuptse previously that was incredibly warm but quite buly and too hot once it got a bit warmer. I've had the Montane now through winter and spring, and supposedly a summer. It's amazing. Warm in bitter cold but cool enough when you still 'just' need a jacket. Packs very small too as mentioned. And has a nicer fit than the NF by far. Can't recommend it enough.

Back