Best vfm macro rail

Name
Julie
Edit My Images
Yes
Any advice on a decent macro rail that doesn't cost loads? I bought a cheap one but I don't trust it unless it is pointing forward as the weight of the lens is too heavy I think. TU

Take a look at a Velbon supermag (cheap plug mine will be for sale soon as I fine the box) very good but I bought a stackshot automatic rail.

Any advice on a decent macro rail that doesn't cost loads? I bought a cheap one but I don't trust it unless it is pointing forward as the weight of the lens is too heavy I think. TU

I've used the Supermag and it's a decent bit of kit but a better rail is the iShoot rail which you can buy as a single axis rail or buy two and use them in tandem to give you dual axis. Here's mine:

D700-MACRO-RAIL.png

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112245836543

Last edited:
What's the advantage over the Supermag Dunc. I would of recommended the Supermag - not used the iShoot

The main advantages are two, Chris:

1. You can use it as a single axis or dual axis rail. The Magslider is an all in one construction.
2. The iShoot, even in dual axis, is more solid and less prone to movement.

My velbon was used with 100mm mpe 65 and sigma 180 macro never had a problem or movement

Thanks Dunc.

Never found the Velbon to be prone to movement. But then I would only have used it with 100mm / MPE with small bodies - so maybe that is a weight thing.

Had movement with cheap nasty ebay thing. That was completely useless.

Most like them and I have to say mine served me well, too. The iShoot feels much more solid, though and in a similar price bracket I'd opt for the latter every time personally.

Plus one for the Velbon (y)

Back