Best vfm wireless headphones ?

Edit My Images
Yes
As per the title I'm looking for a pair of over the ear style wireless headphones to replace my battered skull candy crushers.

Budget ideally around £100 but wearing comfort and lack of noise leakage of more importance than ultimate sound quality

Any advice appreciated

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

thing with wireless is at the end of the day it is all about the technology and the amps in the phones.
you need to spend a lot more cash than decent wired phones for even close to decent sound £100 just wont come close.

the best ones arround at the moment are sony WH-1000SM4 in my opinion for over ear

thing with wireless is at the end of the day it is all about the technology and the amps in the phones.
you need to spend a lot more cash than decent wired phones for even close to decent sound £100 just wont come close.

the best ones arround at the moment are sony WH-1000SM4 in my opinion for over ear
Thanks for that. I appreciate wireless will not match wired for quality at the same price point. Can you please confirm the model number for the Sony as I can't seem to find it

The Sony WH-1000XM4 are great sounding headphones but are well above your ideal budget. There is an older model (substitue 3 for the 4 in the name) which late last year could be had for a 'friendlier' price. These may still be available online.
My eldest lad has some Bose ones which are similar but a bit cheaper than the XM4. These are a few years older and may be even cheaper now. I didn't find the Bose ones comfortable to wear and the noise reduction is defiitely not as good as the newer Sony's but the actual sound quality is close.
I also tried out some Jabra ones....looked hideous, felt big and bulky but the sound was OK. Price point was lower than the Sony and Bose.

The Sony WH-1000XM4 are great sounding headphones but are well above your ideal budget. There is an older model (substitue 3 for the 4 in the name) which late last year could be had for a 'friendlier' price. These may still be available online.
My eldest lad has some Bose ones which are similar but a bit cheaper than the XM4. These are a few years older and may be even cheaper now. I didn't find the Bose ones comfortable to wear and the noise reduction is defiitely not as good as the newer Sony's but the actual sound quality is close.
I also tried out some Jabra ones....looked hideous, felt big and bulky but the sound was OK. Price point was lower than the Sony and Bose.
Thanks for that. I'm currently considering some Bowers & Wilkins PX5 at a decent price

If possible (and I know this is a bit awkward ATM) try all the headphones on and in use. If they aren't comfortable you won't use them and that makes them expensive - same as buying a cmaera that doesn't 'fit' your hands ;)

The B&W sound is not to my taste and the noise reduction on the PX5 is definitely not as good as the Bose or Sony 'equivalent' (but I appreciate this wasn't mentioned as a requirement).

people say the B and W cups are to small and the sound a bit to small
Sony all day for wireless they seem to have the market

If possible (and I know this is a bit awkward ATM) try all the headphones on and in use. If they aren't comfortable you won't use them and that makes them expensive - same as buying a cmaera that doesn't 'fit' your hands ;)

The B&W sound is not to my taste and the noise reduction on the PX5 is definitely not as good as the Bose or Sony 'equivalent' (but I appreciate this wasn't mentioned as a requirement).
Ordinarily I'd agree but if push comes to shove then I can return them - although a bit of a faff

people say the B and W cups are to small and the sound a bit to small
Sony all day for wireless they seem to have the market
Looking at reviews I'd say you're spot on for the upper end but at my budget they seem less so particular with regards to build quality

My son asked for some new headphones for Christmas and we got him these from Currys for £79.

AKG - Y400 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones

He seems very happy with them, he listens to classical as well as jazz, rap and MOTR stuff from the 70's and 80's.

There is no active noise cancellation if you need that.

unless you are planning trains, planes and noisy office environments then yes don't fuss with noise cancelation
AKG good brand

Have a look on the what HiFi website they have good reviews of headphones around your budget

I posted a similar thread last year and my budget was the same. I ended up buying THESE and I couldn't be happier.

sony wh-1000xm3 are outrageously good but a bit fuzzy about connecting to more than one device and if you see a pair course to your budget there's something wrong with them :)

As an off the wall suggestion, take a look at the new Xbox headset from Microsoft. 90 quid, designed for all day use and according to the reviews, far better than you'd expect for the money. They even have a microphone in case you get a call.

I'm afraid I don't do s/h headphones. However well cleaned [emoji15]
Quite a few headphones have replaceable ear pads.
the Bose qc35 were given away free with a phone recently and you’ll see quite a few at a good price on eBay. Not quite down to 100, but less than 150.
it sound like you want closed headphones to minimise sound leakage.
Do you need a mic?
And it’s on ear, not over ear you are after?

i can understand not wanting used headphones, it depends what game you are in.
I am into very high end audio headphones, i cannot afford the stuff i buy new, not even close :-(

Quite a few headphones have replaceable ear pads.
the Bose qc35 were given away free with a phone recently and you’ll see quite a few at a good price on eBay. Not quite down to 100, but less than 150.
it sound like you want closed headphones to minimise sound leakage.
Do you need a mic?
And it’s on ear, not over ear you are after?
I don't need a microphone and closed back on or over ear will be fine thanks

Look on the Lindy website. They consistently win what hifi awards for their headphones. I have the in ear chromos and they’re fantastically well built and soundstage is excellent. I was going to buy the big noise cancelling versions but I got a pair of 7dayshop noise cancelling over ear phones and for £20+ they are superb value for money.

Look on the Lindy website. They consistently win what hifi awards for their headphones. I have the in ear chromos and they’re fantastically well built and soundstage is excellent. I was going to buy the big noise cancelling versions but I got a pair of 7dayshop noise cancelling over ear phones and for £20+ they are superb value for money.
I got a pair of 7dayshop noise-cancelling phones and thought they were great for the money, until they self-destructed with a loud snap when I was actually wearing them (insert comment about the size of my head here). I should have read the less positive reviews of this model first - the same fragile plastic part, which is under tension when you are wearing them, seems to have snapped quite often. My next pair were Sennheiser.

Always been a fan of Sennheiser headphones. The HD 350BT are £84 and the 450BT £125 (active noise cancellation is the difference)

I use Sennheiser HDR 185s which are fantastic quality but they are open backed and way out of your budget range.

I use EvoDX noise cancelling ear buds on flights and noisy beaches.

Rarely use headphones (over ear) because I don't have an equaliser to boost the frequencies I lose when I don't have my hearing aids in (the MP3 player I have does have an EQ so I can modify the output through the buds.)

FWIW
I picked up a cheap set of 7Dayshop wireless headphones which I use for mowing the lawn. No noise cancelling but they've put up with a lot of abuse. Not what I would consider HiFi though.

I bought 2 sets of wired Lindy noise cancelling headphones based on a WhatHiFi rating for a long haul flight. Not expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality and build. The noise cancelling was a revelation on a flight to the USA - made it substantially less exhausting.
I then picked up a pair of 7Dayshop noise cancelling ones for our daughter a couple of years later - apart from the evil plastic smell which took ages to dissipate - they were pretty good too but don't fold as well. Again use was a trip to Japan and they worked perfectly keeping her happy with the inflight entertainment.

Then I replaced my phone with one with no headphone socket - so I picked up a set of JBL - Tune 600BTNC Wireless Bluetooth Noise-Cancelling Headphones
Twice the price but still cheap, decent quality build and sound which I use on trains and planes.
JBL have an online outlet which I used. Richersounds often have them cheap.

I'd recommend any of the cheaper noise cancelling ones above for long haul flying (when that is possible). For more regular use the JBL are worth the extra.
I don't tend to spend big money on headphones as even with great care I don't find they last more than a couple of years before they fail in some way or another YMMV

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've gone with a pair of Bowers and Wilkins PX5, they seem pretty well made and the sound quality is a step up from my old pair.

So far they seem pretty comfy and at the price very please

I use EvoDX noise cancelling ear buds on flights and noisy beaches.

Rarely use headphones (over ear) because I don't have an equaliser to boost the frequencies I lose when I don't have my hearing aids in (the MP3 player I have does have an EQ so I can modify the output through the buds.)

Ive been eyeing this little box up. Its a DAC (digital to analogue converter) headphone amplifier. bluetooth receiver and 10 band equaliser all in one little battery powered box for £100.
I'm interested as iOS does not have system wide equaliser, and those apps that do have EQ do not often have fine grained settings.
The DAC measures very well, and i think the difference between bluetooth and wired should only depend on the codec that your device uses. I think that iOS uses AAC codec over bluetooth, which at high bitrates i cannot hear the difference with FLAC or high res, even with my hd650's.
DAC technology has come a long way, amazing to think that you can buy £100 DAC's that are as good or better than £10,000 DAC's. Indeed even the £10 apple dongle measures almost perfectly for signal / noise, jitter, linearity, dynamic range etc. The only thing lacking is power, i am often at 100% volume with my headphones (iem's are fine)

Back