Best way to insure teen driver?

Name
Edit My Images
No
My stepdaughter will be driving this year and just wondered what people found was the best/cheapest way to insure a young driver.

Do any companies have specific plans for first time drivers or would it just be better to put her on my own 30 years of accident free insurance policy.

if you have protected no claims, maybe, but ive just gone through this with my daughter.

It actually turned out slightly cheaper for her to issue with a black box, we could of had one fitted to our car but it doesn't give an option for drivers or didn't, so it would mean anyone driving would affect her score, she had limited mileage (4k on her's) and also limited times to drive, wasn't an actual curfew but deducted points for driving at silly hours or pointless driving around for fun at midnight. she worked in a pub and always finished at 1-2am, but as it looked like a journey to home, never affected it.

Will she have her own car? if so definitely get her own policy with you as a named driver. If you take out the policy then that is "fronting" and illegal. Certainly you need to shop around for a good price. but also see what cars offer a better insurance group.

Just make sure its legal (re above from Munch) otherwise anything happens insurance companies are experts at getting out of coughing up.
My daughter recently passed her test and just coughed up the premium, motoring ain't never cheap.
General Accident were the cheapest without a black box, they took into account the length of time she has had a licence albeit only a provisional

If it is her own car look for multicar policies. The two policies will run side by side and earn their own ncb but you will get a discount on the price of two separate policies. Add as many experienced drivers as possible (preferably over 25) as named drivers on her policy and and that should also bring the cost down. Your own insurance company may well offer multicar policies and would likely have details on their website.

You can get new cars from the likes of Peugeot where you buy the car on finance and it has insurance etc included, so just the one payment to cover everything

You can get new cars from the likes of Peugeot where you buy the car on finance and it has insurance etc included, so just the one payment to cover everything
There maybe an age restriction though. Some won't cover under 21 year olds or the payments can vary by age.

I've been through this three times already with my kids. Make sure they have their own policy with you as a named driver, they will then collect no claims and the costs will reduce the longer they are driving. Also look for insurance that has a black box, both to reduce insurance costs as well as for your own peace of mind that they will drive sensibly when you're not around. Some companies have an app that gives a lots of driving info. Some companies also give better rates depending on the expected mileage and the time of day the driving will be.

PEUGEOT Just Add Fuel® is an innovative finance package^ that covers the costs of your brand new PEUGEOT.
It includes ALL of the following for a fixed monthly payment on a 37 month contract with 4.9% APR Representative.

• 3 years' insurance* (for up to three drivers - with no curfews)
  • 3 years' car tax
  • 3 years' warranty
  • 3 years' roadside assistance
  • 3 years' routine servicing
If you're aged 18-20 or have less than two years' No Claim Discount then there is Just Add Fuel® with the addition of a telematics device.

Just choose your PEUGEOT, add fuel and go!

I was a named driver for my daughter when she got her first car. It cost her around £800 which was pretty good but she had a number of factors in her favour. She passed her test just before she went to uni in London and didn't get her first car until after she graduated. Also because of the gap she was over 21. I would also add her as an additional driver on my insurance when she came home for the summer holidays, so maybe that helped too.

Last edited:
We used Ingenie- not the cheapest but includes black box and driving feedback (which keeps them on their toes). Wife and I are on policy as named drivers as it makes it slightly cheaper. We insured from day 1 when he was learning and renewal has just come through and is good value.

with everyone saying add you as a named driver, please double check costs, this always used to be the case, but mid last year, my daughters was £80 more with me on it, this year my sons (22y/o now|) was £25 dearer, but when he started 3 years ago, adding me made his insurance £170 cheaper, maybe its changed or maybe different insurers have different rules but certainly worth checking with and without

with everyone saying add you as a named driver, please double check costs, this always used to be the case, but mid last year, my daughters was £80 more with me on it, this year my sons (22y/o now|) was £25 dearer, but when he started 3 years ago, adding me made his insurance £170 cheaper, maybe its changed or maybe different insurers have different rules but certainly worth checking with and without
Thought I would check this with sons insurer (Royal Sun Alliance through Ingenie) - Taking both parents off increased renewal price by nearly 50%:eek:. Suffice to stay we are still both named drivers!

Thought I would check this with sons insurer (Royal Sun Alliance through Ingenie) - Taking both parents off increased renewal price by nearly 50%:eek:. Suffice to stay we are still both named drivers!
it is a strange one, seems to jump from insurer to insurer and also time, or maybe their just trying it on

Back