Best way to photograph Foxes

Name
sean
Edit My Images
Yes
Lately I've been hearing a lot of mating calls outside at night and am going to try and photograph some, the only thing is I'm not sure on what settings and lighting to use. Any ideas or previous experience people have would you car to share please?

If you have a garden and the foxes visit it try putting some peanuts in a good spot. Foxes will eat peanuts (and almost anything else too) but they can't carry them off so stay and eat.

If these are urban foxes you may be able to get closer to them but even so many are still wary and the biggest lens you have could be needed.

The foxes I see are not bothered by normal lights. I have seen them trigger the next door neighbour's security light and not flinch at all, but the one time I tried to photograph one using flash, the fox was off like a rocket.

See if you can find any pattern to their behaviour - are they normally in the same place, at what times, anything that could help you be in the right place at the right time.

Good luck

Dave

If you have a garden and the foxes visit it try putting some peanuts in a good spot. Foxes will eat peanuts (and almost anything else too) but they can't carry them off so stay and eat.

If these are urban foxes you may be able to get closer to them but even so many are still wary and the biggest lens you have could be needed.

The foxes I see are not bothered by normal lights. I have seen them trigger the next door neighbour's security light and not flinch at all, but the one time I tried to photograph one using flash, the fox was off like a rocket.

See if you can find any pattern to their behaviour - are they normally in the same place, at what times, anything that could help you be in the right place at the right time.

Good luck

Dave

Ok thanks Dave

I've got quite a powerful light which i'll put on which may cover the whole garden so that should be fine and I've got a 120mm -400mm sigma lens which also should do the job. The only thing i'm not sure about is where they go and at what ties but i'll stay up a couple of nights to see.

Thanks and is there any settings you'd recommend using.

Sean

I hate to say it, but the photo of the fox is,,,,, terrible, hugely unnatural, looks like the sharpening has been overdone ten fold to such an extent it has probably degraded an otherwise good image. It sort of hurts my eyes. Sorry to be so blunt.

Sean, I don't think anyone can recommend a setting as such. It's sort of like asking how long is a piece of string. Best advice would be to encourage them in, learn their behavior and get out there and have a bash :)

I hate to say it, but the photo of the fox is,,,,, terrible, hugely unnatural, looks like the sharpening has been overdone ten fold to such an extent it has probably degraded an otherwise good image. It sort of hurts my eyes. Sorry to be so blunt.

Sean, I don't think anyone can recommend a setting as such. It's sort of like asking how long is a piece of string. Best advice would be to encourage them in, learn their behavior and get out there and have a bash :)

Thank you very much Martin for the advice and i'll keep trying tonight as I have a few more days off before I have college.

Hi, I never seem to see them during daylight hours, then IF I do, I'm normally working without a camera. They seem to be anywhere & everywhere here in West Yorkshire. I have two cats and foxes don't bother them & visa versa, I've even seen the cat sat in the gateway and the fox just jumped over the wall, avoiding the cat. I don't know if this is normal or not?.

Agreed and the original image has now been uploaded, must have had a blonde head on the day I edited that shot or been in a rush to get it posted on line and to my Flickr

Do you have any Fox images we could see????

Les ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think foxes and cats avoiding each other is normal at least where there is lots of food. Perhaps if food is very short foxes may attack cats (or even vice versa), but even then I think it is unlikely. I don't think either appears like a prey item to the other, perhaps they both know the risks at too high. Only once have I seen an aggressive encounter between a cat and a fox. Our cat decided she did not want a fox in the garden and went towards it. The fox did not hesitate(even though it was much larger than the cat) - it was straight over the back wall. All the other encounters have been like this photo.

Dave

Agreed and the original image has now been uploaded, must have had a blonde head on the day I edited that shot or been in a rush to get it posted on line and to my Flickr

Do you have any Fox images we could see????

Les ;)

Hi Les.....crikey forgot all about this thread and the original picture too.
Reading my response omg that was blunt/harsh, must of been a beer night.

I have no images I wish to share I'm afraid, I very rarely visit the forums these days, this is my first post for some time,,, come to the conclusion that forums really aren't my thing.
Have fun,,,all the best.

Hi Les.....crikey forgot all about this thread and the original picture too.
Reading my response omg that was blunt/harsh, must of been a beer night.

I have no images I wish to share I'm afraid, I very rarely visit the forums these days, this is my first post for some time,,, come to the conclusion that forums really aren't my thing.
Have fun,,,all the best.

Not a Problem Martin, Critique is always welcome, that how we learn & we all have Beer nights :D I hope the edited image is to your taste?? :exit:

Les ;)

Back