Best ways to make yourself feel better??

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone got any good and preferably free ways to make yourself feel a bit better when feeling down in the dumps?
I've tried to push myself to go out and do some photography but feeling low means I just feel uninspired to take any photos.

I find an houf or two in the garden helps immensely, just tidying up or even planting up something for a bit of Spring flowering to look forward to. Now is a great time to be potting up daffodils etc. Cheap plastic pots, a bag or two of bulbs and some compost won't cost a lot.
I also see you are based in Cambridge, there's some stunning architecture there, not necessarily to photograph but just to admire during a walkabout.

Last edited:
Both of the above work for me, perhaps you could find an allotment a couple of miles away from home? :)

Seriously, I find doing something creative helps, last weekend I spent an afternoon doing up a piece of furniture, after two or three hours of effort the sense of accomplishment and being able to see what I’d done cheered me up a bit.

I do a lot of exercising but when I'm slipping into depression I find I don't want to. A quick lift for me is listening to music so I get up extra early and do that.

I hope you find something that works for you Ian.

I'm still going through serious depression and was suicidal for quite a while.

Keep in touch with people who can make you laugh and bring a smile to your face, if listening to music, make sure it is upbeat, it does help.

Read the funny joke meme thread on here, it actually helped me a lot.

Most importantly talk to someone who you trust and can confide in.

If you really start to struggle, go see your doctor and ask for help.

If I didn't do these things I wouldn't be here today.

Life really can be a right bitch at times, don't sit in your house on your own and over think things. I did and was a quivering wreck for months.

Keep active and keep talking, it's worth it.

Keith

Thanks for all the replies.
I definitely need to get out of the house. Think I am going to start by doing some short walks from where I live, leave the camera behind. Pop some music on my headphones and just have a wander with no aim.

Tell you one thing I did Ian...

I made a list :D I like lists :D

I made a list of things I wanted to do/achieve in my life and then thought about how I could achieve them. This all lead to me leaving my job, going on some fantastic holidays, making lots of new friends, dabbling in some consulting work, meeting someone (well, I met quite a few actually and then I met a special one) and getting married :D

Set yourself an easy target, achieving it can be a massive help.

It needs to be easy because it needs to be achieved, at a time when energy and commitment is low.

Social isolation is one of the worst things you can do for your mental health.
Above suggestions are all very good as well.
I know what it's like having suffered from mental health illness for many years.
Grabbing the camera and going for a walk in woodlands works well for me although sometimes I really have to push myself to go out.

Something that just popped into my head, how about a pet? Did any of you guys that have ben very honest and opened up about your mental heath issues have a pet or get a pet? Would it have given you a purpose to get up an out in the morning etc.

A slow walk in a wood or around a reservoir - take it all in, listen to the birds, the wind in the trees, cloud patterns, sunlight filtering through leaves...

I took up fire spinning :) and now run one of the biggest fire clubs in the UK, bigger than most in Europe come to that.
I keep a lot of people happy by giving them a safe place to play and practice.

Joining a local club or group (not a camera club :) ), such as a walking group can be good because it gives you an incentive to get out, trying to do that on your own can be hard but if there is a set event every week or two and you say you will be there it really makes you do it.

Some very good suggestions above. Getting out and meeting real people is key, I think the internet has stopped a lot of human face to face interaction, and when all is going well that’s maybe not an issue. But when things are not so good nothing beats speaking up and interacting with people in the flesh. One thing that doesn’t help is alcohol! Well certainly not lots of it!

As someone who suffers massive peaks and troughs with mental health issues, I find just getting outside helps me massively. Buying a camera 9 years ago literally saved my life. So my camera time is my escape time.

I've had a bad weekend, a lazy one getting over a busy week of work after an 8 day photo trip away. I needed to rest, but that gave me too much time to think about life. Never a good thing for me. Ever.

A total change in job 8 weeks ago, from a joiner of 20 years stuck in a dusty workshop, to a delivery driver fo DHL has not only done me the world of good when it comes to dealing with people (massive social anxiety issues) it also means I'm outside all day every day. These last 8 weeks, other than the last couple of days, I've literally felt like a new person.

So yeah, sitting dwelling on the fact is the worst thing you can do. Just get outside, wether it be for a walk up the road, through the woods, around a lake, just get outside and enjoy nature. Don't let the weather put you off either, rain hail or shine, you need to get out and get your mind and imagination working in a positive way. The fresh air helps more than you could ever imagine, so push yourself to do it. I know it can be difficult, but it will help.

lots of fresh air does it for me, I am currently 4 months into an 18 month tech refresh project travelling all over the UK on Gov sites and there are long periods of sitting in hotel rooms and trying to find things to do to amuse yourself. I also end up in dive towns like currently in Luton which isn't exactly thrilling. I have a few things which help and music is a big plus also.

Buy a loaf of bread and go and feed the ducks. Just sitting on the bank in the fresh air will help enormously ( and you may have some conversations with random passers by).
Buy a kite and go fly it. Simple pleasures.
Take a sandwich and a flask and go sit at the sea for an hour - so calming (even if it's blowing a hooley!). Or sit in the middle of a wood.
Watch Calamity Jane or some other old feel good movie (Brassed Off is another upbeat one). No gore, no violence. Just a good story.

Hope you feel more energised soon.

lots of fresh air does it for me, I am currently 4 months into an 18 month tech refresh project travelling all over the UK on Gov sites and there are long periods of sitting in hotel rooms and trying to find things to do to amuse yourself. I also end up in dive towns like currently in Luton which isn't exactly thrilling. I have a few things which help and music is a big plus also.
Just down the road is Harpenden, nice place, good restaurants/eateries and a lovely big park to walk through (Rothampstead) and a pretty little one in the Town centre (Lydekker). Very safe so swinging a camera about should be fine. There's also Batford nature reserve, not that full of exotic stuff but worth a visit, just in case you're around during daylight hours. Thursday night Luton astronomy have an open evening, see their website for details.
Sorry for the hijack.

Anyone got any good and preferably free ways to make yourself feel a bit better when feeling down in the dumps?
I've tried to push myself to go out and do some photography but feeling low means I just feel uninspired to take any photos.

I find detailing my car (or family / friend) is very therapeutic, not just washing but the full works inside and out, polish, wax, windows etc. Can take a surprisingly long time. It's also a good bit of exercise (unless you machine polish) and a nice result at the end to feel good about.

This year hasn't been good at all for me, both mental health and physical health wise, the former being triggered by the latter. For me I have a couple of very close friends that I can talk to about confidential health stuff, particularly mental health. Being able to just talk openly with friends about what's going on in my head make such a difference.

I also play Pokemon Go, which gets me doing a lot of walking, and has caused me to meet a lot of new people locally.

Some great advice above. Things that have struck a chord with me:-
- Meeting people socially. When down its really easy to avoid people and avoid making any effort to get out. This is a vicious circle.
- Getting out in nature. Getting out of the house is good, getting out in a rural area is even better.
- Gardening is another great way to spend the time, though not a good time of year right now...
- Exercise. I took up running a couple of years ago and found it a great stress reliever. Even better when running in nature. If you are not a runner, take a look at the NHS couch to 5k plan (there's an app for it)
- Combining a couple of the above - perhaps join a sports club? I joined a tennis club a couple of years ago and found it a great way to meet people.
- Choose the people you spend time with. Some will beneficial to be around, some not...
- Clean living. Ive had some friends that have been drinkers and if there is something that will destroy your mental well being it is putting chemicals in your body regularly. Nothing wrong with the odd night out though and I am sure you can be honest with yourself and know if this is or isn't a problem.
- Regular sleep. Make the bedroom a nice place to be, get to bed early.
- Reading is a great relaxing way to spend the time.
- Creative hobbies are another way to unwind, e.g learn the guitar (justin guitar is a great website if you go down that route).
- Cleaning is good for the soul! You also end up with a nicer environment to live in, so win-win.

Have a walk around and see how many people you can find at night sleeping rough , then have a recap on you V them , may make you think different then , Hope it works out for you

I'll add to Allen's comment: take a couple of flasks of coffee with you and some paper cups, and maybe some heated up pasties, and dish them out. Giving to others always makes me feel good about myself.

Aluminium is a depressant and affects some folk more than others, check the label on your antiperspirant.

Aluminium is a depressant and affects some folk more than others, check the label on your antiperspirant.

I have good reason to find this very interesting but I'm struggling to find evidence for it.

Do you have links to articles please?

Thanks

I have good reason to find this very interesting but I'm struggling to find evidence for it.

Do you have links to articles please?

Thanks

Not really but if you Google the words 'Aluminium' and 'Depression' you will find some info.

Here is one

It was a bodybuilder that told me about the aluminium in antiperspirant.

Back