Bhuddist Prayer Wheels, Swayambhunath

mobilevirgin

I'm a cheeky little sausage
Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes

This needs some explanation. The "wheels" spin. There are banks of them all around a circular building (Stupa - of which, more later). Buddhists walk around the building clockwise, spinning the wheels as they go. The writing on each wheel is the same - it means "Hail to the Jewel in the Lotus".

Lovely DOF and the background info is really interesting. As they say, you learn something new every day :)

Fabulous things MV. I think I would crop at the top and bottom of the first prayer wheel to remove the distracting scroll at the bottom. Great angle and DOF. (y)

Yep - 1st class. No other c&c here as I wouldn't change a thing. And I haven't said that before on TP. :1st:
B$%£@erd :razz::D

Great shot mv (y)

Wrong but it made me think of eddie murphy saying, i want the knife.....please :D

Thanks for the (y)

I had to google the quote :thinking: And I came up with this. The reference is still lost on me, but I see what you're getting at. :naughty: Buddhists favour a one handed spin technique.

How was Kathmandu? would love to go there someday.

I find it difficult to put into words what an awesome place is Nepal (in general) and Kathmandu in particular. Beautiful, chaotic, exciting. Surprisingly, perhaps, KTM has some great bars and restaurants. And then there's the Himalayas. Just amazing.

Reminds me of my time in Nepal. I wish when i went there i was in to photography. In fact one of the reasons that i bought a DSLR and went on a course was because the photo's i got there were poor.

I also find it difficult to describe Kathmandu, i visited in 2003. There are so many different things going on that difficult to take them in. The slums really struck me when we drove though them. And sitting on the airport's tarmac waiting for our twin engine otter plane was very weird, as huge planes were taxiing around us!!

What was the reason for you trip?

EDIT:: By the way i really like the shot, i think i may have prefered to see a little more of the barrel in focus, by stepping to the right a little. The front OOF one detracts a little. But that's my opinion and by no way right!

What was the reason for you trip?

A weak moment in the pub one night. A friend wanted to go, but didn't want to go alone. It took me about 5 seconds to agree to accompany her. And her friend. And my girlfriend. So it was me with 3 girls. That was the reason :)
The trip was Northern India and Nepal.

I've got some more Nepal pics to post later.

And thanks all for your comments. I like this pic and I'm pleased that others do too.

Back