Big Cats

Those lions are just so damned photogenic aren't they?
Love the Tiger in the Jacuzzi :D

Nice set Russ (y)

Those lions are just so damned photogenic aren't they?
Love the Tiger in the Jacuzzi :D...Nice set Russ (y)
- many thanks, Chris :)
- I never cease to be amazed as to how well those two male lions get on so well together! The "jacuzzi" was switched off during this photo session with the Tigers, so my timing was impeccable ;)

Russ

YWP's lions are certainly handsome lads aren't they?
Lovely set. Xx

- man thanks Roger - they look in much better condition now than when they were rescued from a Romanian zoo eight years ago :)

Russ

I didn't know that, so both the lions and the new bears were rescued then ... great!

Really like the first two shots - particularly the second. Something looks a bit 'off' with the first tiger shot. Is it a heavy crop or high iso or something?

Lovely shots, especially the first two.
I'm hoping to get there myself in two weeks time. You said the tiger portrait was a 'reasonable close up'. How close is close? Will a 70-200 do or should I take a longer lens? I'm trying to minimise the amount of kit we lug about.

- Many thanks for kind comments, Graeme, much appreciated :)
How close is close? Will a 70-200 do or should I take a longer lens?
- That particular shot was taken at about 25m, but the enclosures are all large and mainly camera-friendly so you can usually get quite close if the animals oblige! I visit YWP regularly, and over the years have used 70-200mm, 300mm with/without a x1.4 teleconverter on a x1.6 crop camera. For the big cats, polar and brown bears I would favour a 300mm lens on balance. But of course there are giraffes where a shorter lens would be better.....Have a great visit!

Russ

not quite sure what you are seeing as "off" with the tiger portrait; it's a reasonable close-up at f/8 and iso 640. Maybe over-sharpened a little? Here is the full image as taken:

Russ

It is the eyes that look a bit odd on my monitor - I think you might be right that it is a touch over sharpened.

Back