Bike advice needed please

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, need to understand what bike would be best for me. Currently have a 3yo hybrid, cost around £270 from memory, nice bike, a little heavy but been fine for rides with the kids. Reasonably comfortable and on my last trip to town (7 miles)averaged around 12.5mph (am not the lightest lol!). I am keen to cycle more (to work) which is between 6-7 miles, either on road or very nice cycle pathway, ideally 2-3 times a week. Had a road bike in the past (got nicked), a Dawes which was around £300-350. Felt quite a bit faster than current bike and seemed to take less effort although uncomfortable position and felt every bump! Would a road bike be the better option (budget around £350) and if so can I get slightly more hybrid like tyres?

While I am not looking to break any records, I would like to be faster and let the bike do a bit more of the work. I have seen what looks like road bikes but with normal handlebars, am guessing that could be an option as prfer to be more upright?

Cheaper the bike heavier the components, surprising what difference new wheels and tyres make.
Handlebar style and length/rise of stems make a big difference to the feel of a bike.
Another place they save money is on the cranks, bottom bracket and chainrings (chainset)

Folding semi slick tyres are ideal for commuting preferably with a kevlar band for puncture protection.
Steer clear of cheap suspension forks, again budget ones are heavy and often inefficient.

Have a look in a proper bike shop, last year's models get sold off when the new ranges appear which is round about now

I built all my bikes from frame upwards, steel frames are more forgiving than aluminium, my personal preference of makes was Specialized.

Shimano groupsets (gears, chainset, hubs and brakes) get dearer as they get lighter, Deore was always a good starting point. Rage used to be starting at the cheapest as follows, Acera, Alivio, Deore, LX, XT and XTR

Last edited:
Always worth looking at Gumtree and the likes for secondhand bikes - bargains to be had (and pitfalls to be avoided).

IMHO the only place worth looking for a bike at that price is Decathlon (who do fantastic bikes for very little money) and even then £350 is not a lot of cash, second hand might be a better option.

But anyway, a road orientated hybrid is probably what you are looking for for a more upright position and yes, you can change the tyres easily. Some 'road' bikes are designed to have a more upright position but I'm not aware of any in your price range (gearing and brakes for drop bars tend to be more expensive).

As well as conceding a Triban 500 keep an eye out for a second hand red Triban 3 - like the 500 it has a carbon fork and good geometry

Don't get the white version, it has a poor fork that regularly failed, there's a reason they switched back to carbon even on their entry level model

I recently tweaked an old mountain bike to turn it into a hybrid with much better sitting position.
it is a giant 4.5 and put slicker tyres on it and a riser for the bars.

as above though the decathlon one is always on hotukdeals

I recently brought a 2016 model Merida Crossway Urban 40 from paulscycles for £354.99, link here, although they only have a 58cm frame available now.

I had been on a reasonable quality hybrid with suspension forks and like you do about 7 miles commuting on roads in all weathers. I really wanted something with solid forks to save some weight, flat bars and hydraulic disc brakes. Mostly this put me in the approx £500 range but found the above bike and have been very happy with it to date.

Other than being able to pick up a deal on a previous years bike, I would echo the other suggestions of second hand or decathlon, maybe also worth having a look at boardman bikes in Halfords as well as I have heard good reviews on them.

Buy a steel frame bike its much more forgiving if you don't want to feel every bump. Genesis make nice ones.

Back