Bird ID no pic

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Help please guys,my lady saw an unusual bird today in the garden,I can't place it from her description,so thought you good folks might be able to help.

Size between spadger and blackbird

Colour :chocolate brown upper shaz desribes the lower half as being almost like the bird had been dipped in blue black ink. white rump. Cream/ yellow wing bars greyish head not cap sort of mottled grey through brown. yellow or white...ish tip to the tail that had a notch sort of an inverted V at the tip

beak insectivore made a noise a bit like a LO chatter,the noise was very distinct and drew her attention as she thought it was a LO ..little owl
Shes not bad on bird ID guys,gets names mixed up a bit but I can normally work out what she has seen. this time I am utterly stumped. i'm no expert myself but have a fair knowledge She's convinced it is something she has never seen before,any thoughts or leads chaps I can then play google until a result comes

Cheers for any thoughts i'd love to know what it is,we have a cracking list I suppose for a garden,although I don't actually keep any form of list it would be nice to add something

many thanks

Stu

Hi Stu..juv little owls will be moving on now from breeding grounds ,but even at two month old they will be the size of a adult bird so easy recognisable...Cant help anymore on your ID

there will be allot of funny birds in the garden at moment, some are in-between moults, so plumage wont look like birds in books, so a bit hard to say what it is?
you say between sparrow and blackbird thats not narrowing it down much, thats probable more than half the British birds, then you say little owl? which is much
bigger than blackbird, so i don't think you will get much help sorry.

Den Shaz has bewildering stupidly amazingly astoundingly (using expleteives deliberately Den many have commented) long distance eyes she can spot a LO at way aways,trust me mate we aren't talking LO it just made a noise that sounded like one!!! which is what attracted her !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

me too mate completely stumped

there will be allot of funny birds in the garden at moment, some are in-between moults, so plumage wont look like birds in books, so a bit hard to say what it is?
you say between sparrow and blackbird thats not narrowing it down much, thats probable more than half the British birds, then you say little owl? which is much
bigger than blackbird, so i don't think you will get much help sorry.

Mark cheers for taking the time it's seriously appreciated:cool: Mark I am giving another's description my english ain't no shakes, If a birder came up to you and gave you ,size, call description ,I repeat sounds like LO nothing more!!!!!!, wing bars, rump patch, tail description marking on tail, end of tail noted.

Mate the lass did well,;) it only starts on size mate

it's just simply after living here for all these years and being no great shakes at wader or bloody warblers,most of the rest I would hope we would know really would mate it ain't an LO and it ain't nowt ordinary. I'd really hope I'd have a clue but I'm stumped. Mate I'd mix up twites redpolls all manner of stuff she would too,but I'd have a clue and could research the rest. Here i'm stabbing in the dark ....and some !!!!!!

Oh it was bathing too,lmao:D

Mark i genuinely do appreciate your time ask me things that she might have seen that can help please buddy. i'm really intreagued but it's a goodly stack of info from a lass that always calls a sparrowhawk a peregrine drive me nutZ :oops: :$;)

Frankly i'm worried as hell that I put little owl next to sound and a beak description and two kindly guys got what I was trying to say utterly wrong :(and assocaited the sound it made with size,but I wanna know what she saw more than I'm worried:) so will have another go if help is available

cheers lads if you can get a better desrciption from me please ask(y)

What the hell is it????

stu

Apart from the breast, I'm tempted to say Fieldfare!

Mark cheers muchly for the help,sadly although a good shout it isn't, simply she knows a fieldfare and can ID one (although LMAO he might just call it a redwing) also please correct me if wrong but aren't they winter visitors here.

Sounds like a Juvenile starling?

Ben again cheers for chiming in,again no ,again she knows the bird as adult and juvie,but also wing bars white rump don't stack.

Lads thank you all I'm utterly stumped I wonder if it might have been some migrant or such like,probably will never know,but it won't be something we see oft,she would ID that easily ok maybe the name might be slightly off but I can work around that knowing her so well

thanks again ALL

stu

Getting her to draw a basic picture of where the colourings were might help.

Certainly a thought worth airing Ben, although the terminology i'm using rump wing bars etc are to me at least classic birder terms and should be enough really to visualise this. Trouble is bro I'm in the same boat as you just trying to describe someone else's sighting,but I can visualise what she saw,just can't put a name to it as something I am famiar with in blighty driving me crackers it is!!
That wouldn't be unusual

Yes because she's a lady not a he(typo that will hurt!!!),or because I know her to mix things up,but know her well enough(30plus years together) to know what she is probably mixing up Field fares red wings very different but seen often together,that's why she's mixing those two she knows what she saw but is struggling with a name.

Yep but any port in a storm. The occasional one does get left behind.

thank you i've never heard of one still being here almost to the time they will return sure a while yet but you take my point. That said Mark if it happens then I'm always up for being educated good stuff buddy cheers again.
Been looking searching white rump pics still a blank.

cheers guys your persistance is appreciated

stu

Ben ,we are not sure, if it's a cow bird but it is very close.. Massive thanks anyway,I know not of this bird,so if nothing else I've learnt something cheers bro. The only real sticking point bar it shouldn't be here is the beak but Shaz was above birdy so might have that bit wrong

Very interesting I'll read more ,but many thanks all the same sorry slow replying Ben ,

stu

Back