BIRD ID?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
DSC00968.JPG

Not sure if this is a Greenfinch, looks like one but has slightly different colouring.

Possibly a juvenile one with almost adult plumage?

or a juvenile Siskin :)

like this Adult
u5Xo9Sd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
or a juvenile Siskin :)

like this Adult
u5Xo9Sd.jpg

I looked up siskin to clarify my thought but as far as I could tell young siskins have a much stronger black banding similar to the adult..........though looking at @canonrebel post there is a hint of the black cap & bib???

PS though apparently not species specificity this is the first time I think I have seen a picture of a small songbird with an obvious eye pupil!

When/where was the image taken please?

My first thought was young siskin but the eye colour is making me think twice, so to summarise: no idea

EDIT: where was it taken?

Last edited:
defo not greenfinch siskin, looks like weaver bird, if in uk then most probable a escaped bird? or one thats been blown in from very far away..
Now that is a curve ball.,........can you find a qualifying image to illustrate that suggestion???

Looks more (rough) female Siskin to me :)

Hmmm! it lacks any suggestion of the 'strippy' markings on the breast & lower body.....I would have thought that would be there if female siskin, juvenile or not???

Hmmm! it lacks any suggestion of the 'strippy' markings on the breast & lower body.....I would have thought that would be there if female siskin, juvenile or not???
True, but the bird does not appear to be in best condition ... of course if it is not a native bird it could be anything.
I'm not saying it is a Siskin but to me it's the nearest thing in terms of a native bird.

True, but the bird does not appear to be in best condition ... of course if it is not a native bird it could be anything.
I'm not saying it is a Siskin but to me it's the nearest thing in terms of a native bird.
Yup, as @Dale. asks in post #8 we need a little more info re: place and time photographed???

Still a little odd with that eye pupil & colour???

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, the shot was taken in a zoo but could not find any info on this particular bird.

Thanks for all the replies, the shot was taken in a zoo but could not find any info on this particular bird.

Ah! by inference more likely the aforementioned Weaver bird. I wonder if it should be a sticky for posting bird photographs that ~ place/location/time of year must be mentioned in the OP with the picture............ reduces the ping pong of guessing;)

just read through this, classic lol

Ah! by inference more likely the aforementioned Weaver bird. I wonder if it should be a sticky for posting bird photographs that ~ place/location/time of year must be mentioned in the OP with the picture............ reduces the ping pong of guessing;)

It would also be useful to know whether the subject was wild or not!

Back