Bird of Prey ID (no pictures)

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
This afternoon we were coming back from Salisbury just West of Dinton on the B3089 when I caught a glimpse of a large raptor which flew across the road. It looked bigger than a Buzzard or Kite, but was mostly dark brown with black (or very dark) wingtips. It's size was such that one flap got it up and across the road, so I never saw the under side.

I used to live on the edge of the Chilterns so I know my Buzzards and Kites, and it wasn't either. Now, it may not have been larger than either of them, but it looked it, but we were very close. I've held a Buzzard in the past so I have a good idea what they look like.

I'm thinking it could have been a Marsh Harrier possibly? Other than that I'm baffled. Definitely the wrong shape, shape & colour to be a Sparrowhawk, and although there were trees both sides of the roads, I doubt it was a Goshawk. So, I'm completely baffled by this one...

Any ideas?

Harriers have more of a long, slow wing movement ... Hen, Marsh and Montagu's Harriers have all been sighted in Wiltshire.

Personally I would have said Goshawk myself they seem to be more and more widespread these days and the females are quite a size other than that I haven’t a scooby.

If it was massive it could conceivably have been one of the Isle of Wight Sea Eagles, they are not very far away and have been tracked around Salisbury.

Didn't notice any white, and having seen Sea Eagles in Mull, I think both myself & my wife would have recognised one. I think I'm leaning towards a Marsh Harrier, and it probably looked bigger as it surprised us getting up and across the road right in front of us.

Back