Critique Bird photo (in to the frying Pan)

Hi Shaun

I'm not an expert by any means on birds / wildlife, but of the 3, I prefer the no crop version. To me it looks a better composition, shows the subject in it's natural surroundings and also lends to the image / story...

Thanks Andyred,

Just looking at the Exif F2.8 ahhhh so used to shooting Rugby that needs up in next time :)

Hi Shaun,

I don't think 2.8 is an issue. Shoot at that if you can get away with it like you did here. I don't see any of the subject OOF.

Here we go with personal preference...I prefer #2. #1 has that orange/red blob on the right and the levitating tree top left. Also the composition is too central for me. #3 is too cropped and feels a bit cramped. For me, #2 fixes all of these and you can still see the Egret is nest building.

Well done with controlling the exposure (unless you shot raw and fixed it later as I would have done!). Dappled bright sunshine on a white object is tricky to say the least!

Happy snapping,

Gary

Morning Shaun

I may be stating the obvious ..... if I am, please excuse me

The main subject of the image is a largish white bird, a Little Egret - it must have been a sunny day looking at your settings

The first task is to look at how to get as much detail out of the bird as possible by controlling the whites in camera or adjusting them in pp - it is very difficult as whites on Egrets can be stunning - and it takes quite a bit of practice to do them justice
People will look at this image on a variety of different screens ...... from a phone to a 5k Retina, some calibrated, some not......... they will maybe see the bird in different "lights" ..... so it is a difficult task

Looking at the image on my Laptop you look to have done a good job with the whites, but maybe they could be improved.......... but don't make them "muddy"

When you have a "dominant" subject like this, it is better, IMHO, to back off a little as the closer the crop the more detail is seen and any shortcoming therefore emphasised...........for this reason I alway feel that the image should not be cropped too closely unless you have really got your whites under control, which is difficult in strong sunlight

I feel that working on the first image is the way to go as the shot is natural and shows the Egret in a tree when we normally see images of them on the ground ...... so this add interest to the composition

As you indicate you do not need to use f2.8 in the conditions that you have ...... IMHO f8 would have given you as good OOF areas in the bg and maybe helped in capturing as much detail as possible......... f2.8 is seldom the sharpest point on a lens .. even with a cropped sensor and more sharpness never goes a miss, and I am not saying the bird is not sharpe before anyone jumps in and accuses me of that

Many will disagree but I think as part of this review about how we treat each other we should all comment on your image NOT directly on what others might say, (to add a comment regarding the thread that you have linked this image to)

(The Windbag Sailor)

Last edited:
How do I improve the whites, I adjusted the white's so there was no blow out according to the histogram

I have all the software :) but learning to use it properly , I've hit 50 now it's bad enough remembering where I put my dam glasses

How do I improve the whites, I adjusted the white's so there was no blow out according to the histogram

I have all the software :) but learning to use it properly , I've hit 50 now it's bad enough remembering where I put my dam glasses

I was talking generally and looking at your image on my Laptop ….. so cannot really judge ………. slight "local adjustments" may help - I don't have a good enough screen to be able to offer an exact opinion ….. but I will try to have a look …… it is not an issue …… just part of the review of your image

they are all attractive images - but my preference would not be #2 or #3 …… it would be a review of #1 - I cannot decide on the tree in the top LH corner - it does frame the the image well, but maybe the bird is a little too central - my own preferences would be not to let anything in the bg distract so being "picky" I would remove the red bit above the truck on the RHS, either as part of a crop or through cloning ……. I also think showing as much nest as you can adds to the interest …. it's always a balancing act

you could sharpen the birds head a little with selective pp and just tone down the highlights, maybe just one slight area, on the body a little by burning at a low %

but - "a little is usually a lot" ……. it is is easy for me to get carried away …… that is why it is certainly down to what you prefer

Last edited:
Cheers,yep everyone has a different preference , I shall have a play around later and see what I can achieve. :)

It's all good practice, now where my LR for Dummies gone.

Cheers,yep everyone has a different preference , I shall have a play around later and see what I can achieve. :)

It's all good practice, now where my LR for Dummies gone.

Utube and Adobe vids are better

Shaun

that's good - I think that's what I would settle on - needs a few more adjustments (of course) - then you will have the structure and a proper pp expert, (not me) can have a look

I'd just dodge the shadows on the major trunk maybe by 10% and see what happens they seems just a bit too dark to balance the fg and maybe areas of the nest???

unfortunately the bird is still a bit central for my preference, that's a pity ...... but that's what I indicated earlier, better to keep more nest than loose it to because of a reposition

Interesting now if someone can give almost opposite preferences

This above is only my opinion - that's all - it is not right and not wrong, it is just my opinion

Back