Bird/wildlife photography holidays UK, any ideas?

Skomer or Skokholm is the easy suggestion...

Skomer or Skokholm is the easy suggestion...

Skomer is great for day-trips but of the two I would say Skokholm is the connoiseur's choice....... no day visitors.

The other Welsh island is Bardsey but it doesn't have so many close up opportunities for bird photography. Nevertheless it's great for a week's stay. (and no day visitors.....(usually)).

Other countries are available.

They used to post availability information on their site and there always seems to be the odd dates of availability, especially outside of peak June/July and especially if you don't mind a place in the 5 bed dorm room. Seeing if there are any odd dates left at the Isle of May bird observatory would be an even better place for Puffins...

Mull? Two types of eagles, otters, hen harriers, short eared owls, corn crakes, etc (most of these are sensitive species so the usual warning about sensitive species).

Technically Ireland but a trip to Great Saltee for the gannets.

Scotland - around Aviemore for osprey at Roth Rothiemurchus, Neil McIntyre's red squirrels hide, up the mountains for Mountain Hares and Ptarmigan, etc

North Norfolk for whatever turns up along the numerous sites.

Last edited:
Bird-wise the Somerset Levels are brilliant these days and you can get some quite nice landscapes as well.

View attachment 119386
I agree. We went to the Somerset levels as part of group holiday organised by Naturetek. Stayed at a nice hotel in Wells with trips out into the field from there.

We have also been to Aigas Field Centre a few times. Not cheap, but has for us been excellent each time.

Mull.

Lots of wildlife, lots of guided trips by land and sea. Also a few good stop off places on the drive to the ferry for landscapes and wildlife.

What are some good locations in the Levels? They're not that really far from me so I ought to visit then occasionally.

Do you have any particular dates in mind? After watching winter watch Islay looks good.

They used to post availability information on their site and there always seems to be the odd dates of availability, especially outside of peak June/July and especially if you don't mind a place in the 5 bed dorm room. Seeing if there are any odd dates left at the Isle of May bird observatory would be an even better place for Puffins...

Mull? Two types of eagles, otters, hen harriers, short eared owls, corn crakes, etc (most of these are sensitive species so the usual warning about sensitive species).

Technically Ireland but a trip to Great Saltee for the gannets.

Scotland - around Aviemore for osprey at Roth Rothiemurchus, Neil McIntyre's red squirrels hide, up the mountains for Mountain Hares and Ptarmigan, etc

North Norfolk for whatever turns up along the numerous sites.
Aren't the Farnes better for puffins that the Isle of May?

If you want puffins and terns the Farnes are full of them.
And guilemots and kittywakes.
And seals.
One of Billy Shiels' trips is a must.

Aren't the Farnes better for puffins that the Isle of May?
Turns out I didn't mean May, but Fair Isle. Not the biggest colony but it offers puffins in vistas you don't get at Skomer or the Farnes.

Last edited:
Turns out I didn't mean May, but Fair Isle. Not the biggest colony but it offers puffins in vistas you don't get at Sooner or the Farnes.
Wow I didn't know that, sadly Fair Isle is a bit of a journey from England, Wales and even parts of Scotland.

Another vote for Mull here. We did a 9 night trip, a couple of days in the south of the island (one day with a guide) then a couple more guided trips in the north. We found going out with a guide was useful to give you ideas of where to go, then go do them on your own.

The only let down we had was that it was too wet for the birds to be in the air. Saw lots of eagles on nests, in trees and on crags of rocks, but none in flight :(

Another vote for Mull here.

The only let down we had was that it was too wet for the birds to be in the air. Saw lots of eagles on nests, in trees and on crags of rocks, but none in flight :(

Just don’t go in August, we went two years ago due to school exams etc. The weather was awful, 7 days without a cloud in the sky! The locals were apologising..... Due to the heat we didn’t see a single Otter, apparently they were all sheltering in the kelp to keep cool. Did see a Golden Eagle first morning while cooking breakfast in our cottage near Bunnessan, White Tails on a cruise from Tobermory, but no Dolphins. On the plus side we got good tans and the sea around Iona and Staffa looked like the Med!

Just don’t go in August, we went two years ago due to school exams etc. The weather was awful, 7 days without a cloud in the sky! The locals were apologising..... Due to the heat we didn’t see a single Otter, apparently they were all sheltering in the kelp to keep cool. Did see a Golden Eagle first morning while cooking breakfast in our cottage near Bunnessan, White Tails on a cruise from Tobermory, but no Dolphins. On the plus side we got good tans and the sea around Iona and Staffa looked like the Med!

We went end of June/first week of July...

I was going to say Skomer, but it looks like a popular suggestion! I went there for the first time last year and have never seen anything like it. Go in June or early July for the best Puffin shots.

Back