Birds in your garden

Garden birds around feeders

• Total voters
IVe been getting loads in our garden recently. Robins, Blue tits, Coal tits, Great tits, Long tailed tits, Green finches, and we've even had a bullfinch and a couple goldfinches too. We've also got a colony of house sparrows. I think the fact we back on to a load of fields helps. I have heard a short eared owl quite a lot too, but can't see it for the life of me.

New to this forum, new to this house .we moved to the country just before Xmas. Big on birds we have put lots of feeders in the garden and it seems to be paying dividends. This is the list so far ....robin ,house sparrow, dunnock, blue tit, willow tit, coal tit collard dove, blackbirds, nut hatch, great spotted woodpecker, carrion crow, jackdoor, wood pigeon, green finch, gold finch, gold crest, great tit, chaffinch, chifchaf, have seen owl pellets but not seen the type yet. Loving our new home and loving this forum.

birds are often most active early in the morning or late in the afternoon, you might need to get up before it gets light to capture special photographs. Get out there early and perhaps use a blind (a camouflage hiding place) to discover what they’re eating, their mating habits, and to witness the care of their young. It might take a couple days of going out and not shooting anything, just observing and taking mental notes to build up your knowledge in order to capture that outstanding photo.

I had a pair of Spotted Flycatchers visiting one of my nest boxes,I've never seen them here before, I've been giving them a wide berth, I looked through the trees today at the box to see all the nest material hanging out of the opening, I guess a Jackdaw or something has helped itself to whatever was in there.
Spotted Flycatcher 3 by rob_nelson, on Flickr

Spotted Flycatcher 2 by rob_nelson, on Flickr

Last edited:
I had a pair of Spotted Flycatchers visiting one of my nest boxes,I've never seen them here before, I've been giving them a wide berth, I looked through the trees today at the box to see all the nest material hanging out of the opening, I guess a Jackdaw or something has helped itself to whatever was in there.
Spotted Flycatcher 3 by rob_nelson, on Flickr

Spotted Flycatcher 2 by rob_nelson, on Flickr
Great shots there mate, I had some blackbirds nesting in my clematis last week, they had two eggs but something got to them and their gone now. I was really looking forward to trying to photograph the chicks.

i had a peregrine drop in to my garden once and i was so excited but by the time i had my camera it was long gone

I'm lucky enough to have a permanent hide in my small back garden, quite a few different species but I do also get quite a few visits from the local Sparrowhawks. My own fault for attracting the smaller birds in the first place.

This was taken a few days ago.View attachment 19132

We live in the suburbs. Do not have a bird feeder, or hide, so it all depends on how our Lili Pilly tree and Liquid Amber treees goes. I always have a camera with a long lens handy just in case.
There are always Noisy Minors and Doves around.

#1 Rainbow Lorikeet in our Liquid Amber.

Rainbow Lorikeet in our back yard by dicktay2000, on Flickr

#2 Same tree a few weeks latter. This time it is a Galah.

Feeding time (3) by dicktay2000, on Flickr

#3 This is from our back porch. The Rainbow Lorrikeets lilke the blossoms and latter on they will come to eat the berries.

From our back porch this morning by dicktay2000, on Flickr

Just lately we just seem to have a lot of sparrows in my garden. :(

From yesterday.

House Sparrow
by paulsilkphotography, on Flickr
House Sparrows have done well with us this year, we didn't get many here but they have raised several broods and we usually have 20 or so birds at a time in a little flock around the garden.
Nice detailed shot by the way.

Some great shots here. Judging by the birds in our back garden it has been a very good year. Lots of blue tits, great tits and house sparrows and it has been the best year for goldfinches for a good few years. Oddly enough haven't seen any sparrowhawks in the garden for a while.

Dave

Ring necked parakeets, there is a large colony near Richmond, though I understand they are spreading, whereabouts are you.

Thanks for that (y) I'm in Manchester. I've thought that I'd seen them up in the trees for quite a while now but like I say, they've been down in the garden every day for the last week now

We have been well down on numbers until the current cold snap which has brought a few birds in. We usually get some pheasants and partridges but have seen few this year.

Usual tits and robins around though.

View attachment 29110

All the usuals in garden - blue and great tit, sparrows, odd magpie and wood pigeon, and loads of goldfinches. Two unusual visitors have been great spotted woodpecker and two ring necked parakeets. When it get cold we get the odd woodpecker, but normally they do not use the feeders. The pararkeets have been increasing in number around here for a few years. One visited the garden a couple of years ago but we had two on the feeders yesterday and today.

Dave

A few of my Local's

16008437527_0d7bccee19_o.jpg

16152673640_bb3fcf5d8d_h.jpg

16210338937_796b8265fc_h.jpg

Seems to be a few Robins here, so heres one I saw today in the garden singing his little heart out in the hazel tree.

Allan

Whilst I don't have a garden, I do have a yard, so I put mealwoms and seeds out for the birds. I get of lot of Pied Wagtails, Grey Wagtails visiting - though they don't seem to get along together. The Pieds chase the Greys away... I've had Blackbirds, Jackdaws and a Black Redstart visit. Alas the only place I can put out mealworms and seeds is also very un-photogenic and suffers from bad light - it only gets sunlight late afternoon.

Mind you, that hasn't stopped the birdies.....

A Pied Wagtail, that had been singing very loudly oustide my window..... (Turned out there was a cat sat next to the mealworms I'd put out - and yes he did spot me..... I've also heard him singing - could be a she - when there's no mealwoms left..). Apparently they also sing sing as they fly past regular feeding areas...

10571-1426296595-217de44aa3f2d1b4810603004e3a5e51.jpg

We get loads of these in the garden but this is one of a couple that come into this part of the garden under one of the seed feeders and clear all the bigger seeds the smaller birds throw out.
16997005312_12d66bc2fc_z_d.jpg

Red Legged Partridge.
Allan

Back