Birds in your garden

Garden birds around feeders

• Total voters
trying out my new bag hide in the back garden think it works a treat blue tit not more than 4ft away
View attachment 34572

Last edited:
Cute, one eyed blue tit at my feeder. I'm really pleased with this considering it was hand held and I shot it through double glazing! :)

17174609376_44ee5cd548_o.jpg

First Blue Tit today. I mainly get House Sparrows and a few Starlings. Started to get a few Great Tits and now just saw a Blue Tit. Not a very good picture, need a longer lens but it's the first blue tit.

Blue Tit by Rubh an Dunain, on Flickr

My first attempt at birds. This was taken through glass which could have been cleaner so I imagine it has suffered for that. The bird was about 30 feet away and I only have a 70 -200mm 2.8 so . . . . . . . . . . . . :(
There are some stunning photos on here - lots of skill and experience on display - hope I can acquire some of it myself eventually !!!!

View attachment 37177

Last edited:
Been trying some handheld shots with my 70-200 which is damn heavy !! Set wide open on aperture priority and at 200mm. My eyesight isn't what it was and so have been trying to get good manual focus results. I got some shots of a Heron who patrols the moat but he refused to co-operate and stand still once I aimed my lens at him :(
I know Canada geese aren't garden birds but my house backs onto the park where a squadron of these noisy, messy devils land every morning so I regard the park as an extension of the garden really. They were a little more co-operative :)View attachment 37224 View attachment 37225

Hi Guys,

Still fairly new on the photography seen, with the sun out I have been trying to take a few pictures of birds in the garden :)

17759577696_de0e63caf8_h.jpg" width="1600" height="1067"

17163408014_7a26fd47f6_h.jpg" width="1600" height="1067"

17786501531_0f99188a10_h.jpg" width="1600" height="1067"

17599724529_a45f1cb83a_h.jpg" width="1600" height="1067"

Hopefully the upload works!

Last edited:
Messing about in the garden this morning and got a couple of pics.

Starling flying overhead, which triggered me off thinking I'd have a go at BiF pics for an hour. Very tricky!

Looked over and saw the Robin with a moustache!......(Well, he was collecting my Springer Spaniel's hair for his nest but I thought it looked funny).

View attachment 38103
View attachment 38104

I think we have had a few more than previous years, and this year we got around to putt in a bird feeder although they don't seem that impressed with the packet of bird seed that we got as they haven't touched the stuff. But we also have a bird box and for the first time since we moved in nearly ago 4 years we have some blue tits nesting in it!

They are some young as they are flying in and out like mad things trying to feed them. I have tried getting some shots but could not really get close enough started off in the conservatory then tried a few shots outside. Used my sigma 120-400 plus Tamron 1.4 converter but will need to still get closer.At first one of the birds would not go back to the box just kept flying around, so I went back in. I decided to have a second attempt same place and this time both just kept flying in and out. Either they were getting use to me or the need to feed the young won out. I might have another go in a day or two and try and get a bit closer. Leave the camera on the tripod with a rain cover on it and fire remotely from the house. Once I have copied from the card will may add a few but not anywhere near some posted here.

Ray I think that if you pulled the crop back so that we saw more of the background and their environment your natural pheasant shots, IMHO, would be more appealing

I don't think either is actually cropped as it was a first try out of a 70-200mm with X2 teleconverter. but duly noted. I was just happy to get a shot off.

Part of my problem is the panic of not getting the shot so I'm just happy if I get something I would classify as reasonable of a species I've not photographed before.

Wow, they are almost edible.

Such detail, lovely photos of LBJ's.

(IMHO)

Mj
Mark, don't try that. I remember Jeremy Clarkson eating similar birds in the south of France and there was a real outcry (to add to his collection).

Great detail on the sparrows.

Ray, No problem there. To good to look at and admire to harm them.

As for Jeremy what can you say. French shoot small birds to eat, presumably the origin of 4 and twenty blackbirds rhyme...

Mj

Great to see people are still posting the "not quite perfect" images in this thread and just enjoying their garden birds :)
One from earlier on in the year and one of my favorite garden birds when they start to get the breeding colours coming through.

BT.jpg by Neil Brimacombe, on Flickr

These turned up the other evening,nice to see,I had just cut the grass and so plenty of disturbed bugs etc,I hope it survives,many young birds have perished from lack of food this year due to it being so cold up here,I don't think any lapwing chicks survived on my meadow.
Snipe and chick 2 by Robert Nelson, on Flickr

Snipe and chick 3 by Robert Nelson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Pic 1 is has only been set in a 1:1 no real cropping and on the 150-600 :)

Last edited:
Back