Birds in your garden

Garden birds around feeders

• Total voters
My very first bird capture shot last week when I briefly owned a Nikkor 300mm f2.8 AI-S (manual focus) and D810, this is a heavy crop;

Untitled by Peter McCullough Photography, on Flickr

I've now ordered a Nikkor 300mm f4 PF VR which arrives soon.

Following on from the daft Dunnock, we now have loopy LTTs. These guys perch on the back on the bench then try to fly through the glass. I've been able to walk right up to the window and they don't fly off so the reflection that's presumably fooling them is quite solid.

ltt5.jpg

ltt8.jpg

ltt9.jpg

Found these wee beasties in the back garden the other day. I'm new to birding and such don't know what I'm taking pictures of! I thought that these were common Sparrows (if there is such a bird) but the plumage would suggest that they're either male and female or different species - can anybody help identify them please.
regards
NN
DSC7705

a_dsc7716001r

Found these wee beasties in the back garden the other day. I'm new to birding and such don't know what I'm taking pictures of! I thought that these were common Sparrows (if there is such a bird) but the plumage would suggest that they're either male and female or different species - can anybody help identify them please.
regards
NN
DSC7705

a_dsc7716001r

Hi Norm,

The top one is a female House Sparrow and the bottom one is a Male House Sparrow (y)

Thanks Wessa13. At the moment they all look the same to me and they move so damn fast!!

There is some very beautiful photos on here Robert Nelsons photos of good old British birds are my favourite

I have much more Great Tits and Chiffchaffs this year... bas****s wake me up in the morning!

I can't believe me of all people have shot a bird on a twig... so make the most of it... first time.. last time...

Here's the little git that insists on waking me up each morning.

_DSC6466.jpg

I'm no bird expert... but pretty sure that's a Chiffchaff

Fun with layers.... :)

This is one of a pair of Blue Tits that are building a nest in my neighbours wall where the header tank overflow pipe used to be. So two consecutive frames using my 7DII and 100-400II composited into a single image.
Big crop, almost 100%.

Last edited:
Regular visitors to my garden....

^ Click image to see on Flickr

This chap is getting braver ever day. The female is close. She comes up sometimes. They are nesting somewhere near my house so they will bring their young to me for food, I hope :)

The photo and the video was taken through the patio window, that why there's a slight reflection.

We don't often get these but since we moved the Niger seed from the front garden to the back each day there are more of them. Today there were six fighting over the perch, I only managed to get five in the frame at once. Not the best picture but I thought it was unusual to see so many together.

The Niger seeds have attracted Greenfinches and Siskins also.
Five Goldfinches.jpg

We don't often get these but since we moved the Niger seed from the front garden to the back each day there are more of them. Today there were six fighting over the perch, I only managed to get five in the frame at once. Not the best picture but I thought it was unusual to see so many together.

The Niger seeds have attracted Greenfinches and Siskins also.
View attachment 63373

Nice to see them. They do like their Niger seeds don't they! There's a gang of them in our close. Sometimes they come bouncing into our garden, and sometime not. Can usually hear them chattering away if you go outside. We have the occasional Greenfinch in the garden, but I've not seen Siskins in our area.

Relative newcomer to DSLR photography and moved house last September and have now become an avid bird feeder and have about 10 feeders in the gardens with plans for more including some better placed ones.

Never really noticed birds much before but we have a lovely "picture" window from the lounge out on to the side garden and I can now sit for hours watching and taking pictures.

Fascinating and busy things aren't they ? Just recently seem to getting a pair of Goldfinches ( checked online lol ) but not got a good picture yet. Amazing colours on them.

Will submit some pictures soon but just wanted to get involved in the thread.

PS I was a happy bunny with my lens collection but now I desperately NEED a 300 to 400 and soon :)

Nice to see them. They do like their Niger seeds don't they! There's a gang of them in our close. Sometimes they come bouncing into our garden, and sometime not. Can usually hear them chattering away if you go outside. We have the occasional Greenfinch in the garden, but I've not seen Siskins in our area.

This is the best shot I got of the siskins, a female and a male. Its cropped so is not as sharp as I would have liked.

I too could do with more reach from a new lens.

Siskins female and male.jpg

Last edited:
First time seeing one since we moved from the West midlands to East Sussex

Goldfinch

Just glimpsed 3 of them through kitchen window. So quickly changed lens to 70-200mm as it was right next to me and grabbed a few shots. Why is it there is always the wrong lens on a camera at any give time. Must be sods law

Last edited:
We get a whole range of stuff (pretty regular normal stuff), but the starlings amuse me most. If we fill a tray with meal worms, they dig through the whole thing throwing them all over the place.

Making a Mess by Tony Evans, on Flickr

I think we had a hawk or falcon a few years ago attack something in our tree, while we were out in the garden, but it was all over too fast to see what really happened. We are increasing the number and variety of feeders, and trying to cultivate a slightly wild garden (it's intentional, honest) to encourage as much wildlife as possible despite being in the middle of a town.

A long way to the bird table.jpg First time out.jpg Juv Dunnock 25th May 2016.jpg Suddenly yesterday it was baby day and the garden mostly my lawn was very busy. The young Robin was funny trying to walk up the bird table instead of flying and then kept dropping onto the lawn, maybe he or she will make it to-day. The little Great Tit must have only been out of the nest for a short time, kept calling. The Dunnock was just hopping about eating anything.

Last edited:
Fun with layers.... :)

This is one of a pair of Blue Tits that are building a nest in my neighbours wall where the header tank overflow pipe used to be. So two consecutive frames using my 7DII and 100-400II composited into a single image.
Big crop, almost 100%.
Such clever little birds, I bet they'd seen those holes in the winter whilst house hunting.

some of nice photos there. You need to have a garden to take photos:)
Thanks, I've very lucky to have a mature garden, not one that is pots of flowers but mature in the way I allow Ivy to grow and allow wild flowers to spread. I live in what used to be a farm so the House Sparrows have the buildings, which are also used by the Swallows.

................ I live in what used to be a farm so the House Sparrows have the buildings, which are also used by the Swallows.

i live in a cottage attached to farm building
not so many sparrows this year - and no Siskins at all - plenty of chaffinch, tits, goldcrest and 1 GSW

its amazing the speed the swallows (swifts.?) fly through the doorways into the barn - never 'caught' one yet....:(

i live in a cottage attached to farm building
not so many sparrows this year - and no Siskins at all - plenty of chaffinch, tits, goldcrest and 1 GSW

its amazing the speed the swallows (swifts.?) fly through the doorways into the barn - never 'caught' one yet....:(
Two years ago I had some chicks ringed, they had already fledged but had gone back to the rafters to roost. The man was an offical BTO persons and he was so gentle with the birds, he weighed them and measured the wings. One of the parents had a ring which was the interest in the first place, it turned out this bird had been ringed two years before in a farm about one mile from where I live. Last summer I was unable to ring the new youngsters but this year I might get the guy back when the time is right, the date two years ago was the 21st August. Another interesting thing about Swallows is my next door neighbours extended his house with turning his garage into the extension and after three years Swallows still try to fly through the door that was the garage and I'm sure if they could would nest in that area, as it was their's for nesting for many years, good memoiry.

This is one I have taken of a Magpie sat on the Yagi.

Second time using 100-300 Manual AI lens.

Need more practice!

Attachments

• Magpie1.jpg
    Magpie1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 8
Back