Birds in your garden

Garden birds around feeders

• Total voters

Admin #1

Edit My Images
No
So this year has been very quiet for birds in my garden, last year i couldn't keep up with them emptying the feeders and always use sunflower hearts, niger seed, peanuts and fatballs.
Anyone else seen a drop in garden bird activity :shrug:

Funnily enough, I don't get many birds in the garden apart from wood pigeons and blackbirds, but I noticed about an hour ago that I had blue tits, long tailed tits, a robin and some coal tits. (y)

Gareth

More Birds for me if anything compared to last yr I've seen lots of activity in the garden and this ties in with the times I'm having to fill the feeders up,Pigeons,Tits,Blackbirds etc etc

Black birds wood pigeon collard doves! My next door neighbour gets gold finches green finches gold crests black caps! I only seem to get these in my garden when there feeders are empty!!
Saying that my garden has been a hive of activity today and it hasn't stopped raining all day!!!

Don't get anything exotic, blue and great tits, green finches, starlings, blackbirds, feral and wood pigeons. I do have a breeding pair of robins that live behind my shed and a little flock of about 10 house sparrows all of which visit regularly.

We were regularly getting 30-40 sparrows at once but its dropped to about 10, I guess towards the end of the summer the large numbers could be put down to the extra young which have now moved on?

Don't get much else but we've put some other food out today so see if that makes any difference.

I tend too have few more birds in my garden but i keep adding more feeders about so maybe thats why..
I tend too get House sparrows, Blue tits, Robins, Mistle thrush, Collared doves, Wood pigeons, Blackbirds and Starlings.

I've had less than last year but I'm putting this down to the milder winter which meant there was a lot more wild food still available and accessible for the birds. The previous two winters before last winter had a sharp increase in birds due to the snow and colder weather.

Gerard.

I've started getting House Sparrows this year, the first time I've seen them in the three years I've been here. Neighbours reckon it's been 10-15 years since they were regular visitors. Tit and finch numbers seem good and there was a Chiffchaff yesterday, again another first for me at this house.

I'd say a few less this year compared to the last couple of years but not by a lot.

I'm talking about birds at my feeders though as the winter has been much milder.

Last edited:
A good thread Neil. Although I mentioned in my Ltt thread about numbers being down, I am not too sure as it would be hard to remember and compare to the same early part of last year. I am expecting a bit more activity once the first broods hatch though. I can remember I had more of the Greenfinches and the pair of Blackcaps for example. I can also recall what flowers and shrubs were in bloom at the time, and at the moment is still a little while off. I will vote for down a little at the moment but it might be worth doing an update version in a Month or so.

The only small birds we used to get were Pied wagtails, I've only seen one this year but over the last few years we now get increasing numbers of Chaffinches, Greenfinches, goldfinches,Siskins, Great tits,Blue tits,Coal tits, some Sparrows, Pheasants, Occasional Blackbirds, these birds have been with us all winter and I live at 1500 ft in the Pennines, where they go to get out of the bad weather I don't know, it gets pretty bleak up here.

We get blue tits, great tits. robins, blackbirds, collared doves, pigeons, occasional Parakeet, even seen a Woodpecker. Also get Dunnocks, occasional Sparrow. I think that's the lot!!! The feeders are very popular. Costs me a small fortune!!

Also the garden & fence seems to be known by the birds as place to have bird nookie!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: e90
Definetly got more variety this year, Blackcap and Goldcrest and a Wren are firsts for me this year and generally more Blue and Great tits than last year, Sparrows, Blackbirds, Dunnock, Robins in abundance.

The only thing that is down a bit is Goldfinches, having said that they are around here but not visiting me yet.

I voted more than last year, generally more and more variety

Reactions: e90
Think i may of worked out my problem:thinking:
Had a leak on my garden pond waterfall before winter and had too bypass it but sorted it on the weekend, now the birds seem to slowly be coming back.
They must of been going somewhere else for water :bonk:

We have an abundance of starlings, attracted to suet blocks with insects and mealworm. Must be like crack to these birds, eating them at almost a rate of one a day.

We get a few sparrows following them, have one chaffinch that sometimes visits, and a couple of goldfinch but that's it.

Usually just a starling frenzy.

Feeding station at work is very quiet compaired to last year.
I have not seen the Green, Bull or Gold finches all winter
blue & great tit numbers have fallen dramatically
But Dunnock, Robin & Blackbirds seem to be more visible this year.

I have gone for a little less. Greenfinch and Goldfinch numbers are down a little. Long Tailed Tits, last year getting between 20-30 in a flock, now the regular flock is around 10! Also Wrens have stopped visiting my garden completely, probably 2 fleeting glimpses so far this year. I would say Blue Tits and Great Tits are around the same, Coal Tit's are very similar. I also have 2 pairs of Bullfinches around as well, which were around last year. I have had a new bird for my garden area though this year, in the form of a Willow Warbler. For the time I have been living here it was a great find for an area which has never had any.

Not seen as many this year, I've just put a feeder at the btm of the garden but apart from a few sparrows and some goldfinches I've just got some nesting b/birds and magpies & crows? that kill the young if they get chance

Considering the size of our garden, I'm chuffed with the numbers and species I'm getting this year!
More than I can remember for quite sometime!
Not only that, but I saw a deer running down out street this morning! (see THIS post) Afirst for me and most of my neighbors!

In the last couple of weeks the numbers have dropped a little but this is due mainly to the goldfinches.

Until recently the goldfinches were on the feeders (in our garden they ignore the niger in favour of sunflower hearts) at almost any time of the day, in groups of between 8 and 20, now we see two or three only a few times a day.

There are still plenty of blue tits, great tits and house sparrows. The odd magpie and wood pigeon and the usual birds flying over or heard. So apart from the decline in the goldfinches, the numbers are much the same as last year.

Over the last few years a few birds have increased here -

sparrow hawks - seen more in the last two years than in the previous 20,
green woodpeckers - hear them almost every day during the summer, and
ring necked parakeets - seen almost every day

Dave

We have a little less variety than lass year but still have lots of sparrows, goldfinches, blue tits, great tits, long tailed tits, wrens, robins, blackbirds and a few others. Not bad for a garden in london!

it's a strange one this year , we decided to put more feeders out this ,in different places for a different selection of birds.

All we are attracting is Pigeons and the odd Sparrow.

Where as last year we had a selection of tits, finches etc

Next door seem to be attarcting a few but our garden seems to be out of bounds !!!

Time will tell

We have only been in this house since September 2011, it is a new build, I put two feeding stations out and planted several small trees and bushes. I thought at first i was not going to get any visitors at all, but once the builders left the estate the wildlife started to return, the garden backs onto fields and a large bushy hedge goes up the edge of the field. So now we get bluetits, greattits, coaltits, a pair of robins and a pair of yellowhammers, not to mention treesparrows and wood pigeons and a sparrowhawk fron time to time. The most intersting thing the starlings have started to appear, and the two resident magpies chase them off, yet they don`t bother the other birds, not even the blckbirds.
Dave M

Last edited:
There has certainly been a shift in species visiting my feeders and I've had more Bullfinches than before but less Goldies , Coaltits and Greenies as regular visitors. Nor as many Great Tits come to think of it.
John

Difficult to say as I've switched half way through the winter from peanuts (price through the roof and beyond - China buying nuts to blame), which I usually feed, to black sunflowerseed and now have a lot more finches - mainly bull, greens & chaffs.

We use to get good numbers of birds in the garden until the neighbour got a cat. Now they are few and far between as the darling thing has taken to sitting underneath the bushes on stake out.

Don't want to upset folks who keep cats themselves, but this is just what I've found.

Di

I had to take my bird feeder away as the local cats were having a field day. The birds just pass overhead now.

i have about four tables ect with food on them but the birds do not seem to be to hungry, i get the usual types i.e robin, great tits blackbirds wood pigeons, starlins(occasionally)i try all types of food i.e seed fatballs and peanuts

We have a pair of goldfinches yesterday on the tree lovely looking birds

Anyone have the odd unusual bird show up :shrug:
No Golden Eagles or Puffins unless you can show a bit of garden environment without using PS :D
I get these Red Legged Partridge early in the morning under the feeders.

6959236192_90f1a05c7e_b.jpg
[/url] Red Legged Partridge by Neil Brimacombe, on Flickr[/IMG]

There is a lot of activity in the garden this year (midlands): Regular dunnocks, GT, BT, LTT, blackbirds, mistle thrush, numerous house sparrows & starling, greenfinch, chaffinch, our fav goldfinches (last years younge we think so the charm is getting even bigger lol)..the garden is alive & its costin a bomb keeping up with the bird feeders...but its wonderful to see isnt it. smiles, kez :0) :love:

Went out and stocked up with bird food at the weekend and localplace had mealworms on special offer so got a large supply.
Can someone please tell me why when it's just the normal seed in the feeders and on the ground it's just the blackbirds, sparrows, finches,robins etc. soon as I put mealworms out swarms of starlings arrive.
Jackdaws love the fat balls here, amazing how they hang onto the feeders aand the jays are back now
Not seen the sparrowhawks yet but they are about from what I've heard

Back